Stay on the ship during Castaway Cay

Barry ATL

We’re also not beach people, so last summer when we were on the Dream we stayed onboard for most of CC day. The slide is open, there are characters to meet and some activities going on, plus movies. We had a great time onboard! We did get off the ship for about two hours just because we love riding bikes on CC and we went to eat. But you can eat onboard with no problem.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

My most recent visit to Castaway Cay was on the April 2018 westbound Panama Canal cruise on the Wonder. In the past, I'd spend a few hours at the beach, eat the BBQ lunch, then return to the ship. This time my roommate and I walked the 5K, went back to our cabin to shower, then decided to stay on the ship. We enjoyed the onboard movies that day. :cool:

We are researching for a Disney Cruise. We are not fun in the sun kind of people. DH uses a wheelchair so beaches and pools are really our thing. When we cruise, generally, the ship is the destination.

From all of the vlogs we have seen on Castaway Cay, the only thing that is really appealing is a little shopping and getting a couple of pics with characters. After doing those things we will spend most of the day on the ship.

I have read that there are only about 60 full time employees on Castaway Cay and that the rest of the needed staff come from the ship. So, if we are on the ship most of the day, will there be anything to do?

The spa is open while on Castaway. I have spent time in there when my family went off the ship to ride bikes. I am not sure certain parts are wheelchair accessible, but a couples massage might be fun! :)

• 2 weeks later...

Just an added view -- my family and I are not beach goers or sun bathers -- but Castaway Cay is (for us) a not to be missed. We get off at 8 a.m. or so, hang on the beach until lunch (love that BBQ place), then rent bikes or walk the paths and visit other sections, then back onboard by 2 p.m. It's a lovely place and the shops are nice, but if you get off for a short time -- be sure to get a Konk Kooler at one of the bars. Best drink ever LOL

I can't advise what goes on onboard because we've always gotten off the ship at CC. Whatever your decision, you'll have a great time. Even sitting up on deck on the ship, the view of the island is wonderful. Have a great trip!