Handicapped stateroom???

HollyJ614

We are currently aboard the Viking Star and let me say first that it is beautiful.....food is excellent and even though there are 900 people aboard it does not seem full.....plenty of space to spread out. Having said that, I have to say we are just a bit disappointed. We booked our cabin almost 2 years before this cruise and paid in full at time of booking I might add.......we booked a penthouse suite, selected our cabin and waited patiently for our cruise to begin. having cruised Viking River Cruises and enjoyed it immensely we couldn't wait........Imagine our surprise when we walked into our suite to find that it was a handicapped room!!! No sofa and coffee table sitting area.....because all space was geared toward a wheelchair!! So what we have is a HUGE bathroom that are up most of the cabin space.......a seat in the HUGE walk in shower that keeps dropping down when we shower! Now, IF we were handicapped and had a wheelchair, it would be a FAB cabin......shouldn't we have been told that this was a designated handicapped cabin and been asked if we needed it? Even my TA was shocked because she was never informed of this! And I feel horrible that perhaps someone who needed a handicapped cabin was told none were available .....Viking you totally dropped the ball on this one.....and we paid top dollar for a cabin that we did not get!!!!

We are currently aboard the Viking Star and let me say first that it is beautiful.....food is excellent and even though there are 900 people aboard it does not seem full.....plenty of space to spread out. Having said that, I have to say we are just a bit disappointed. We booked our cabin almost 2 years before this cruise and paid in full at time of booking I might add.......we booked a penthouse suite, selected our cabin and waited patiently for our cruise to begin. having cruised Viking River Cruises and enjoyed it immensely we couldn't wait........Imagine our surprise when we walked into our suite to find that it was a handicapped room!!! No sofa and coffee table sitting area.....because all space was geared toward a wheelchair!! So what we have is a HUGE bathroom that are up most of the cabin space.......a seat in the HUGE walk in shower that keeps dropping down when we shower! Now, IF we were handicapped and had a wheelchair, it would be a FAB cabin......shouldn't we have been told that this was a designated handicapped cabin and been asked if we needed it? Even my TA was shocked because she was never informed of this! And I feel horrible that perhaps someone who needed a handicapped cabin was told none were available .....Viking you totally dropped the ball on this one.....and we paid top dollar for a cabin that we did not get!!!!

HollyJ614, we are also currently aboard the Star for the Istanbul to Barcelona cruise. My observations agree with your experience that Viking does not indicate on any diagram or deck map which cabins are handicapped equipped like most other cruise lines do. I was under the impression from the lack of information they they might not have any. Only when we booked a second cruise for next year on the Viking Sea, did I find out that indeed they do. I specifically asked the Viking representative if they have that type of cabin and booked one upon receiving an affirmative answer. I am at a loss to explain why Viking Cruises does not readily provide that information in their literature, cabin layouts and deck maps. That being said, we are delighted with the Star and are enjoying her style and ambiance immensely. Our next stop is Athens and my wife and I are looking forward to another great cruise vacation experience.

Hey Senior Gators......apparently my TA called her Viking rep who then contacted ship and this morning we got a call to rectify the room situation. Lucky us....there was a no show/cancellation and it was ....yep....a penthouse suite......they moved all belongings and transferred account info in a very speedy fashion!! Jo-Jo at front desk even showed us the new room first and made sure we were all moved in and delivered our updated cards to our new cabin......she looked at our "handicapped suite" and agreed that it was not what we were expecting. Very impressed Viking......we didn't make a fuss n first day because we were told ship was fully booked. So we didn't think to complain......we just thought "it is what it is" and dealt with it with humor. Didn't distract us from all of the fabulous things about this ship!! Kudos to you Viking Ocean!!

Dear HollyJ614,

Wonderful news! We are delighted to hear the Viking Star crew was able to resolve your onboard concern. We noticed your original post to Cruise Critic yesterday and contacted the ship directly to inquire about cabin availability in an effort to move you to a comparable cabin – perhaps your travel agent beat us to it.

Enjoy your cruise, HollyJ614! Please don’t hesitate to contact us at TellUs@vikingcruises.com if you have any additional questions.

Warm regards,

Viking Cruises

Hey Senior Gators......apparently my TA called her Viking rep who then contacted ship and this morning we got a call to rectify the room situation. Lucky us....there was a no show/cancellation and it was ....yep....a penthouse suite......they moved all belongings and transferred account info in a very speedy fashion!! Jo-Jo at front desk even showed us the new room first and made sure we were all moved in and delivered our updated cards to our new cabin......she looked at our "handicapped suite" and agreed that it was not what we were expecting. Very impressed Viking......we didn't make a fuss n first day because we were told ship was fully booked. So we didn't think to complain......we just thought "it is what it is" and dealt with it with humor. Didn't distract us from all of the fabulous things about this ship!! Kudos to you Viking Ocean!!

WOW, that is fast action and great customer service.

Please post a review after your cruise. I love reading them as I wait to book 2017 cruise on a Viking ship.

HollyJ, congratulations to Viking for being so responsive to your request. We have been pleased and very satisfied thus far on our cruise. Viking even managed to schedule the storm we went through last night so it wouldn't interfere with our port stops. Hope the rest of our cruise will be at the same high level!

Edited by Senior Gators