Comments 1 week in on the nieuw Amsterdam

angelbearmom

We're having a lovely time on the NA on our way to the Panama Canal. So far the weather has been great but I think that's over and done with. We're in Puerto Vallarta tomorrow. When looking at a weather screen in one of the lounges it said that tomorrow's temperature was going to be 0 degrees Celsius and -18 degrees Fahrenheit. That will be interesting. Our one complaint is the size of our cabin. It's very tiny for 3 people. We thought as this was a newer larger ship the veranda cabins would be at least the size of non verandah cabins on smaller ships. We sort of do a ballet to move around the cabin once the couch is out for the night. But everything has been wonderful.

We're having a lovely time on the NA on our way to the Panama Canal. So far the weather has been great but I think that's over and done with. We're in Puerto Vallarta tomorrow. When looking at a weather screen in one of the lounges it said that tomorrow's temperature was going to be 0 degrees Celsius and -18 degrees Fahrenheit. That will be interesting. Our one complaint is the size of our cabin. It's very tiny for 3 people. We thought as this was a newer larger ship the veranda cabins would be at least the size of non verandah cabins on smaller ships. We sort of do a ballet to move around the cabin once the couch is out for the night. But everything has been wonderful.

That's funny about your cabin size! We were just off the NA last week in Vancouver after a fabulous Alaska cruise, and we all remarked on how much BIGGER the cabins and veranda were on the NA than they were on our last 2 cruises (which were on NCL). We were VF category, 8143 and 8147. I'd imagine the extra person in the room, with the fold out couch, makes a big difference.

-18F in Puerta Vallarta!?!?! Hahahahahhahahaha, call out the St. Bernards!

Have a great cruise!

When looking at a weather screen in one of the lounges it said that tomorrow's temperature was going to be 0 degrees Celsius and -18 degrees Fahrenheit.

:rolleyes: Thanks so much for my laugh of the day!

Is this an example of 'two wrongs don't make a right'??? ;p

Glad you're having a great time! We sailed on the NA last summer. It was our first time on HAL and we were very happy with our room. We loved having a sofa and the interactive tv. Of course there was only two of us so it was very good sized to us. Much better than the Grand Princess with no sofa. It makes a difference, we can't sit on the bed that comfortably.

Happy cruising!

0 degrees Celsius = 32 degrees Fahrenheit. And that's far too cold for Puerto Vallarta! It's supposed to be 79F / 26C today. Have a beautiful day. m--

We liked out VE on Nieuw Amsterdam, especially becasue it had a couch. If you think this is too small a room, stay away form most of the Princess ships, no couch in a balcony room. Newer HAL ships have smaller rooms in general.

We just left the NA on Thursday after a great 5 day cruise (too short however!). Ship is in great condition and we had perfect weather and calm seas (much better than our previous Coastal cruises).

We stayed in a Signature Suite and were very happy with the size and amenities (great TV and large bathroom). Deck had seating for 4 and plenty of room. This room is very similar to the Neptune Suites, but about 3 feet less wide.

My friend was in a balcony cabin and it was alot smaller, but still a good size I thought. They seemed very happy with it.

We just left the NA on Thursday after a great 5 day cruise (too short however!). Ship is in great condition and we had perfect weather and calm seas (much better than our previous Coastal cruises).

We stayed in a Signature Suite and were very happy with the size and amenities (great TV and large bathroom). Deck had seating for 4 and plenty of room. This room is very similar to the Neptune Suites, but about 3 feet less wide.

My friend was in a balcony cabin and it was alot smaller, but still a good size I thought. They seemed very happy with it.

Welcome Back, Dave. Happy you had a good cruise and enjoyed the N.A.

It should be even better since it's going into dry dock for renovations between now and then.

This post may have been entered by voice recognition. Please excuse any typographical errors.

It should be even better since it's going into dry dock for renovations between now and then.

This post may have been entered by voice recognition. Please excuse any typographical errors.

I heard it was going into dry dock, but to me it sure did not need it.

I don't mean to hijack your thread but I am sailing on the Nieuw Amsterdam in November and I was wondering how the library is in the explorations café area. I know that HAL has been cutting back on some ships and I am hopeful that the NA is not one of them. The libraries are one reason I enjoy HAL as I do read a lot when I am aboard ship. Any opinions on the NA library would be appreciated.

I usually bring a few books along but if the library is not the best, I will want to bring extras. I am a book person as I don't care for the Kindles, Nooks, or Ipads. Thank you.

I don't mean to hijack your thread but I am sailing on the Nieuw Amsterdam in November and I was wondering how the library is in the explorations café area. I know that HAL has been cutting back on some ships and I am hopeful that the NA is not one of them. The libraries are one reason I enjoy HAL as I do read a lot when I am aboard ship. Any opinions on the NA library would be appreciated.

I usually bring a few books along but if the library is not the best, I will want to bring extras. I am a book person as I don't care for the Kindles, Nooks, or Ipads. Thank you.

It is still there and seemed to have a decent selection.

Thanks for reporting in from your cruise.

Enjoy the remainder of the cruise.

Sorry we're not great people to ask about shows. There are 3 of us in our cabin and only 1 of us has been to 1 show. We like our balcony too much. The little my friends have seen in the lounges they feel is too loud. They do like the adagio strings in the explorers lounge but it's very cold there. Apparently they're doing a major overhaul of the entertainment venues at their dry dock in December.

There's a wide variety of books. We've all brought our own books. But there are a lot there.

Your sailing is before the dry dock, but after it, we can only hope that the library hasn't been virtually removed, as on some other HAL ships.

Sorry we're not great people to ask about shows. There are 3 of us in our cabin and only 1 of us has been to 1 show. We like our balcony too much. The little my friends have seen in the lounges they feel is too loud. They do like the adagio strings in the explorers lounge but it's very cold there. Apparently they're doing a major overhaul of the entertainment venues at their dry dock in December.

Yes, I hear they will make changes soon. Thank you! I think all shows are loud!

Sent from my iPad using Forums