Help with choosing cabins on Rotterdam

MLA

We like OVs, either on A deck or Main. Have spend long cruises on Amsterdam, Rotterdam's sister ship. Have had an OV on Lower Promenade and they have the advantage of easy access to the outside, but those OVs are smaller with a loveseat instead of a couch. On a long cruise the couch matters more to me than the window.

A lot depends on what you like to do on board.... if you want to have a spa pass and go back and forth to the spa a lot mid or mid-forward is good. But we prefer mid to aft, more stable and good access to dining and Lido. The forward cabins on A deck have to put up with passengers stacking up in the hallways prior to shore excursions, but A deck is usually just one deck above the gangway or tender deck, so when you come back from ports it's only one flight of stairs up.

We have liked the aft, just aft of the elevators because that is a dead hallway with almost no foot traffic, only those in rooms on that hall.

Give more likes/dislikes and maybe we can be more specific. m--

• 4 weeks later...

When I am choosing a cabin, I have several MUST requirements. First, I make sure my stateroom is not located next to, above or below anything that is noisy. For example, you might not want to be in a stateroom that has people moving chairs, carts, etc above your head. I was out on the back deck really early one morning at 5am to do my Yoga, and the pool attendants were setting up all of the chairs for the day. I was thinking of those poor people in those upgraded verandah staterooms just below the pool deck. Also, for me, I must have some kind of natural light. I have mostly booked booked partial or obstructed ocean view rooms. Personally, I wouldn't be just sitting outside on my personal deck, so I don't care about having a full view or a deck for my room. I only care that I having natural light while I'm in my room. Plus, the partial and obstructed rooms are usually a pretty good value. I'm also not one to spend much time in my room. For my husband, he must have a bath and not just a shower. So, it's all kind of personal. But, I would definitely stay away from noisy areas unless you are a very sound sleeper.

Greetings. Considering the March 11 2018 cruise from Tampa. Probably want an ocean view cabin. Hints for a good, well located and quiet location? Much appreciate any response

Sent from my iPad using Forums

If you can afford it try and get a Lanai cabin on the lower promenade. they are in the center of the ship and are AWESOME! We spent 42 days in one and loved every day. DH and I agreed that we like the Lanai much better than the balcony we had on our previous long (30 day) voyage. Just our opinion.

Greetings. Considering the March 11 2018 cruise from Tampa. Probably want an ocean view cabin. Hints for a good, well located and quiet location? Much appreciate any response

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Based on past experience, my ranked suggestions would be:

1) Dolphin Deck, just forward of the mid-ship stairs / elevators or just aft of the forward stairs / elevators

2) Main Deck, just forward of the mid-ship stairs / elevators or just aft of the forward stairs / elevators

You might want to look at the deck plans and see if there is someplace you want to visit often. If the gym or spa are frequent destinations, perhaps pick a cabin closer to the forward stairs/elevators. Also, when getting on and off at most ports, the gangway is often accessed via the forward stairs/elevators.

Being mid-ship can be a smoother ride and also puts you closer to the Lido buffet and main dining room.

The engine room and galley (kitchen) are both located between the mid-ship and aft stairs/elevators. While not a lot of noise travels up/down to Dolphin and Main decks, some does, and engine vibration is noticeable (although not severe).

The main deck cabins are beneath the outdoor walking deck (promenade) so you might hear some footsteps from people above you, but it usually isn't that much noise.

The outside cabins on Dolphin and Main decks tend to be a bit bigger and a bit more private than the cabins on Lower Promenade deck. Also some Lower Promenade deck cabins are directly beneath the galley and thus are at a risk of being noisy.

• 1 month later...
If you can afford it try and get a Lanai cabin on the lower promenade. they are in the center of the ship and are AWESOME! We spent 42 days in one and loved every day. DH and I agreed that we like the Lanai much better than the balcony we had on our previous long (30 day) voyage. Just our opinion.

Looking at the Lanai cabins. Is the space/chairs outside for your cabin (reserved) or for anyone walking by?

Looking at the Lanai cabins. Is the space/chairs outside for your cabin (reserved) or for anyone walking by?

There are two chairs outside the sliding doors to your cabin with your number on the chairs and a "reserved" printed above the number. The other advantage to a lanai is the view up and down the promenade. In a balcony your have to hang over the railing to the a great pic. In a Lanai you just need to stand on the deck.

Sorry, I tried to upload a file to show the chairs, but since the new format It just keeps failing.