Currently on Reviera. - Quick thoughts

drkitkat123

Over half? That's a lot of sick people

I like both Peter(the shoe guy) and Jason, unless I happen to be in the same room when he's teaching line dancing, then it's time to go elsewhere.

I like Peter as well although I haven't had the "pleasure" of the line dance experience.

One of his bonus trivia questions (which do not count) was "How many pairs of shoes do I have on this cruise"?

The answer was 23!! ( and I think we saw all of them) :D

I like Peter as well although I haven't had the "pleasure" of the line dance experience.

One of his bonus trivia questions (which do not count) was "How many pairs of shoes do I have on this cruise"?

The answer was 23!! ( and I think we saw all of them) :D

Just to be clear, it's Jason that teaches the line dancing classes. His Australian/British? accent just don't sound right with that country music. He also does some really good evening trivia with Power Points.

Just to be clear, it's Jason that teaches the line dancing classes. His Australian/British? accent just don't sound right with that country music. He also does some really good evening trivia with Power Points.

Thanks ORV.

I didn't have much interactions with Jason but he seems like a very nice person as well.

Peter and Jason often pair up on cruises - they work well together.

hambaghale: be sure to bring cold medicine and lots of hand sanitizer. Over half the people on Riviera are sick with a wicked cold. I have had it for over a week. I don't know if the staff are aware and will be deep cleaning the ship when all of the Sickles leave tomorrow.

My friend spoke to the powers that be and received a response from the Hotel/General manager onboard Riviera right now and this is the first he has heard of any kind of outbreak of anything. He reassured that Riviera is bacteria free.

My friend spoke to the powers that be and received a response from the Hotel/General manager onboard Riviera right now and this is the first he has heard of any kind of outbreak of anything. He reassured that Riviera is bacteria free.

It's the season for colds and often people acquire these on the planes and bring them on the ship.

Impossible to prevent.

It's the season for colds and often people acquire these on the planes and bring them on the ship.

Impossible to prevent.

This is true

I cannot tell you how many times I have gotten the dreaded cruise cough onboard :eek:

You would think if half the passenger were sick the crew would have noticed though

I know how you feel.

Unfortunately, I think it's a little late to teach manners to some people; you would be wasting your time and unlikely to be able to accomplish anything lasting.

Paulchill

I agree with you, on another thread here, someone mentioned 'maybe they need to show a short video about manners AND the necessity of good hand washing'. I thought to myself, 'Probably a waste of time', SOME self pompous, uneducated morons wouldn't pay attention OR half way through the video think, 'THEN thar words, like soap an washing is what we does to my dawg n' my truck an since mire dawg n' truck ain't here, I ain't go no need of such.' Oh well, all we can do is practice good manners AND thorough hand washing and HOPE...?

Mac

hambaghale: be sure to bring cold medicine and lots of hand sanitizer. Over half the people on Riviera are sick with a wicked cold. I have had it for over a week. I don't know if the staff are aware and will be deep cleaning the ship when all of the Sickles leave tomorrow.

I have been on Riviera during this 12 day cruises and did not come across any sickness there were a few people with coughs towards the end. Not sure how you can say over half were sick!

Sent from my SM-T813 using Forums mobile app

I have been on Riviera during this 12 day cruises and did not come across any sickness there were a few people with coughs towards the end. Not sure how you can say over half were sick!

Glad to hear the ship is not as sick as some people seem to think :rolleyes:

Let's hope the GM isn't doing double duty as the ship's doctor. :D

Colds and flu are caused by viruses, not bacteria. Riviera could be "bacteria free" (which is a nonsensical statement in and of itself) but at the same time every passenger on the ship could be sick with a cold .

Colds and flu are caused by viruses, not bacteria. Riviera could be "bacteria free" (which is a nonsensical statement in and of itself) but at the same time every passenger on the ship could be sick with a cold .

I think most readers know what is meant, or at least I hope that they do. Saying "bacteria free" is pretty common. Hmmmm as I write I retract my first sentence. I certainly read of people reporting suffering from a "cold" and receiving prescriptions for anti-antibiotics (just in case) so maybe it is a common misconception and enhanced by doctors actions.

That said, lots of folks also say '"I got a bug" and don't expect spiders up their nose :) (while asleep my SIL had a moth crawl in her ear. She needed hospital visit to get the creature out all the while it was [loudly] flapping about. We never use the expression "ear worm" around her.)

I think most of us are very well aware that a cold is a virus for which nothing can be done, however both my husband and I disembarked Riviera March 2015. We both ended up being admitted for a RHINO virus (common cold) which resulted in a very bad Bronchitis for me and Pneumonia and. Atrial fib for DH so cold are serious to us. Neither of us fell symptoms onboard, nor were we aware of folks coughing etc.

Yes, there is not a lot to do about peeps with colds. Hand sanitation and good diet help.

Also GM may have said as you say "nonsensical" bacteria free to assuage folks who felt the need to have a deep clean done (poster who brought this up originally). Perhaps they were the wrong words. I suppose he just had to say the ship is clean and we should not worry.

We are on board now - when we boarded the Cruise Director made a couple of announcements on the need for frequent hand washing but that was that. And I haven't heard anyone sneeezing any more than is usual with a group this large. Colds spread like wildfire anyway and November is a good month to catch one in Europe because of the temperature changes. But prevention is not easy and hand washing helps!

Am starting another thread with some comments re this cruise - 6/11/17 to 14/11/17 Venice to Rome.

Our group of 4 got off on Monday, all healthy. Avoided the people coughing. ( not that many ). Our friends, first time on Oceania, were pleased there were no health alerts. Might be a lot of colds on next segment as Venice was cold and rainy with a flooded St. Marks.

• 4 weeks later...
No Germans aboard, then?

General Manager is Dominiqe Nicole, CD is Peter Roberts and Restaurant Manager is Paul Cimesen.

We picked p an extra sea day when the winds were too high to tender ashore in Punta Cana. We're in St. Kitts today (Wed., Dec. 6th) and weather is much improved.

Mike