Oceania Embarkation

mphsp

We are looking at an Oceania cruise for the first time after many cruises on HAL. I have a question on embarkation times with a party in mixed-level rooms.

My wife and I will be in an Owners or Vista suite and our two adult sons will be in an Inside Stateroom (I assume they will spend most of the time in our huge suite and only go to their room to sleep). Since we will have 11AM boarding, will our sons be able to board with us? We don't care if their room isn't ready yet, since they can be in our room or explore the ship. It would be a real bummer for them to have to hang around for 2 extra hours...and probably my wife and I wouldn't even board early and just stay with them.

Edited by Torquer
Typo

This is always an awkward subject to address, partly because Oceania actually sells "early embarkation" as one of the benefits of staying in a Suite.

In Europe, they do try to accommodate those who are arriving at the ship directly from a transatlantic flight, recognizing that they will be tired, but I think that it is safe to say, without fear of successful contradiction, that EVERYONE will be "anxious to board and explore the ship".

I'd suggest that you arrive at your appointed hour, the waits are never anything like the mass market Lines. :D[/quote.

Greetings from South Beach, StanandJIm. It has been a while since I have posted here. You two helped me out in 2015 when I wanted to know if Insignia bathtubs worked for folks with knee issues. You told how your aunt did it, and it helped me too. Belated thanks to Auntie. That trip on Insignia cooled our ardor for O for awhile, but we have very fond Riviera memories. I think I remember that you two signed her hull. Wow! Impressive! Since you two know everything about O, perhaps you can tell me if Riviera is up for refurbishment soon. We sailed on Marina and Riviera in their maiden years, and Riviera after that, However, we haven't been on Riviera since 2014. We are seriously considering another voyage on her because we like the itinerary.

Mary

We have just booked into the Marriott Renaiissance Barcelona and used our Marriott Points, we have stayed here on three previous occasions and found No disappointments at this Hotel. It is close to the Las Ramblas, Plaza De Catalunya and the Passeig de Garcia, they offer a 15% discount for those 65 plus. it carries a pretty hefty price, but you certainly get what you pay for. If your are a Marriott Gold or Platinum member it comes with a FREE great Breakfast.

One option I don't think was mentioned, and that is that you can drop your luggage at the ship early, and go off and enjoy the day or part thereof. The porters are generally ready by 10, sometimes before. We have done this several times.

Another thing is that while priority is given to suites, if there is no one waiting in those categories they do check in the lower categories. They do not make you wait for the appointed time.

When we drop our luggage if check in has begun and there is a very short line, we will check in but not board. We like to spend as much time in the ports as we can.

Lots of options. Enjoy your cruise! [emoji568]

Mo

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

While I've never had a long wait, I have seen a lot of miserable, angry people waiting to board Riviera on a very hot day in Lisbon. They had arrived before their scheduled boarding time. To avoid the problem, don't show up before the scheduled boarding time shown in your cruise documents. Since you seem to be staying in a Barcelona hotel, leave your bags with the desk and enjoy a stroll through the Boqueria or tour the old cathedral!

We've stayed at several nice hotels in Barcelona, but alway enjoyed our time most when staying near the old Cathedral in Barri Gotic. Someone suggested Hotel Colon; the Hotel Barcelona Cathedral is also very nice. It's less 'famous' so might be a bit more available. There's lots of activity, dining etc in this area, and you are a short walk to Las Ramblas and Placa Catalunya - but out of the noise and crowds.

• 2 months later...

I have embarked from Barcelona twice within a little over a year and have walked on board without any queues, but then I never arrive at midday. If you leave it until 2ish you will find life much easier and usually your stateroom will be ready for you.

Hotels I recommend are H10 Mimosa, Hotel 1898 and Hotel Do. All are in good positions. Hotel Do is pricey but the location is hard to beat.

I have embarked from Barcelona twice within a little over a year and have walked on board without any queues, but then I never arrive at midday. If you leave it until 2ish you will find life much easier and usually your stateroom will be ready for you.

Hotels I recommend are H10 Mimosa, Hotel 1898 and Hotel Do. All are in good positions. Hotel Do is pricey but the location is hard to beat.

This is our plan for Dec. 3. We are having lunch/brunch with friends on shore and will head to the Marina after that, probably around 2:00. No rush, but definitely want to avoid the crowds.

This is our plan for Dec. 3. We are having lunch/brunch with friends on shore and will head to the Marina after that, probably around 2:00. No rush, but definitely want to avoid the crowds.

That’s the idea :)

Find a good place for tapas and enjoy yourselves. You’ll have plenty of opportunities to enjoy O’s food onboard during the cruise.

Smart plan to embark after two. In Athens, on 10/28, we got to the ship around 2:30 and were able to go straight to our Concierge suite. Friends traveling with us got into their veranda about 30 minutes laters. We let them dump their carry ins in our cabin until theirs was ready.

That morning, we watched a wonderful parade in Athens, busted the natural history museum, and then had a delightful lunch in the heart of old town Athens. There was nothing we would want to have missed so to board early!

• 2 months later...
We have a May 2018 cruise that also begins in Barcelona. We are arriving 3 days early. Any hotel suggestions? TIA!

Sent from my iPad using Forums

We stayed at the Pestana Arena hotel in Barcelona Sept. 2017. We loved it.

Great hotel, location, ease of finding transportation and a wonderful hot breakfast. We started off walking a lot to our destinations and then figured out how easy the bus system was there. Also an underground metro that had a station close to the hotel.

https://www.tripadvisor.com/Hotel_Review-s1-g187497-d609760-Reviews-Pestana_Arena_Barcelona-Barcelona_Catalonia.html