If O could sail to......: new itineraries/ports

cbb

Good idea C - we can dream :)

1 Northwest passage - Greenland to Alaska (or v.v.)

2 Sydney (or NZ) - PNG - Solomons - Palau - Yap - Guam - Saipan - Iwo Jima - Okinawa - Tokyo (maybe throw in Kiribati & Nauru :D)

Some WWII veterans or WWII historians would like that one.

I also like the idea of St. Helena and South Georgia visits.

Love both. I do not think they allow visitors to Iwo (except under special circumstances). It is a very active military Japanese facility.

Also a port intensive JAPAN Circumnavigation. (Azamara is doing several on Quest).

A cruise of the Greek islands ~ not just Santorini, Mykonos & Corfu (often included on various Mediterranean cruises) ~ like Thessaloniki, Napflio, Crete, Rhodes, Patmos, Argostoli etc. Mixed with some ports in Sicily or Turkey if necessary.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

A cruise of the Greek islands ~ not just Santorini, Mykonos & Corfu (often included on various Mediterranean cruises) ~ like Thessaloniki, Napflio, Crete, Rhodes, Patmos, Argostoli etc. Mixed with some ports in Sicily or Turkey if necessary.

I too would love this

2 things:

-Iwo is doable, or at least it was ATW16 when we did the WWII shorex, which was very well done.

-US citizens cannot currently go to Turkey. We are on a Mumbai-Rome tour April '18 and had a Kusadasi port on the itinerary which has since been cancelled and Patmos added. Turkey is not issuing visas to Americans.

2 things:

-Iwo is doable, or at least it was ATW16 when we did the WWII shorex, which was very well done.

-US citizens cannot currently go to Turkey. We are on a Mumbai-Rome tour April '18 and had a Kusadasi port on the itinerary which has since been cancelled and Patmos added. Turkey is not issuing visas to Americans.

Thanks for the info on Iwo.

Definitely should a note to all travelers on Turkey.

That applies to anyone transiting through IST via Air. If you have a connection issue you might have to spend several days in the terminal instead of a hotel.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Thanks for the info on Iwo.

Definitely should a note to all travelers on Turkey.

That applies to anyone transiting through IST via Air. If you have a connection issue you might have to spend several days in the terminal instead of a hotel.

That is probably why I was seeing some cheap Turkish Air flights when I was doing some flight searches yesterday.

How about just a circumnavigation of Sicily.

Circle Japan!

We booked it on Azamara for 2019, would have preferred an Oceania ship. We also looked at other lines doing it, but they have less ports or mainly ports where we went with Ponant's L'Austral. Azamara's cruise sold out fast and is expensive for that particular line.

Marocco with overnight stays in ports and offers of overnight excursions into the hinterland. Combined with the Canary Islands. Start in southern Spain and return to the same port in Spain.

We love the PPT to LAX cruise in the spring which includes a just a few islands in Fr. Polynesia (this year it was PPT, Huahine, Rangiroa and Nuku Hiva and the major Hawaiian Islands to LAX. Rather than book the 10 day cruise that does a bevy of Fr. Polynesian islands before the 18 day, I'd wish that O would combine the 10 day with the 18 day and cut out a reboot of the few islands on the trans-Pacific.

Make it a 25 day cruise to PPT-LAX.

That’d be far to many sea days for many of us! Your PPT-LAX cruise would be a long one mostly for those where the ship is the destination not the ports. Of course, you have plenty of them!

.... like us. We're doing the 2018 insignia SYD to LAX - 38 days (segments of the world cruise). Since we vacation regularly in Hawaii, may not even spend much time ashore there.

In any case, I sure hope more folks will endorse the Sicily circumnavigation - maybe by itself for 10 days with multiple overnights in port or (my preference) part of an "extended journey" (18+ days) that include other Med islands like Malta and the Aeolians. Start or end at Civitavecchia or Naples (for extended mainland stay.

The Sicily cruise would sell out in a flash!

As to the first portion of the thread, I fully realize for many the ship is the destination. I am continually amazed at the number of O cruisers that either stay aboard ship, while in port, or only venture off for an hour or so then rush back aboard for lunch.

As to Sicily, I fully concur. This recent cruise (10/28-11/7) was my first visit to Sicily and I was mesmerized! I’d gladly to a 7-10 day circumnavigation of Sicily alone! Where do I sign up??!!

As to the first portion of the thread, I fully realize for many the ship is the destination. I am continually amazed at the number of O cruisers that either stay aboard ship, while in port, or only venture off for an hour or so then rush back aboard for lunch.

If you are on shore all day how do you know people rush back for lunch?

I really do not understand your obsession with people cruising the way they want & not the way you think they should

Buggins;

At least five (5) if not more.

Lyn;

I fully appreciate that people can sail how they please, and leave the ship when and how they please. They write the checks and are fully entitled to do so. Still doesn’t diminish my amazement at the wonderful ports they often sit out.

It was on a different thread, but I commented on the number of cruisers that have responded on various Roll Calls concerning tours. Quite often their parameters are (a) no longer than 3-4 hours; (2) must be back to the ship for lunch. I typically politely tell them they need to look elsewhere for tours to join. I have a good feeling for the number of cruisers that insist upon being on the boat for lunch either through O tours or private ones. Again, they can do as they please. I’m a port sight seeing guy, while many are ship destination people.

possibly 5 but how many can support cruise ships ??

I haven’t a clue. I can’t think of any on the west besides Palermo and nothing on the North. It is interesting though, because it’s not an easy land destination unless one rents a car.

Another area this half Croatian/half Sicilian would be interested is a very, very intensive Adriatic round trip from Venice. One that just stays in the Adriatic. Up and down the Croatian cost is another PITA land trip, much better suited to a cruise. Southeast Italy is also logistically more difficult on land.