Cruise from Bangkok but getting to Bangkok from Eastern USA does not seem like fun

upgrayders

I have done it a number of times, plus to other locations in the area. I was just in Vietnam for 3 weeks in July. I will be in Malaysia in Dec.

Business class makes all the difference. I also use a sleep aid (I use Ambien) so I get some serious sleep onboard.

Breaking up the trip can be more hassle than it is worth. If you have to collect your luggage, and get it to the hotel, and then back for check in. And if you stop is Tokyo or Seoul, the airport is not close to the city, so there is a long taxi or bus ride to your hotel, and then back.

If you do more than one night, it will be more worth it.

But personally, especially with business class, I would go straight through, but take a day or two in Bangkok to relax and catch up. And you can do some sight seeing.

Heck, if you have 2 days, you can get a suit or fancy dress custom tailored. :) I can point you to a good tailor in Bangkok. Or an even better one in Hong Kong. :D

There are no commercial flights this long. Sixteen or seventeen hours is the longest time of scheduled flights.

The 20 to 22 hours referenced the total flight time from JFK including connections. Not relevant to the current topic, the nonstop flight from New York to Singapore is 21 hours and 35 minutes.

The 20 to 22 hours referenced the total flight time from JFK including connections. Not relevant to the current topic, the nonstop flight from New York to Singapore is 21 hours and 35 minutes.
Sorry, this flight does not exist any longer. It finished in 2013. All flights now have at least one stop.

Sent from my SM-T700 using Forums mobile app

It is a long flight to Bangkok. We first went on a whim. Booked our air ten days out when some other plans fell apart. At the time there was a minor amount of civil unrest in Bangkok. We still went...it was on our bucket list.

We liked travelling through Thailand, and subsequently Vietnam, Cambodia, and Malaysia so much that we returned for extended trips the following two years. And we are going back again in January.

No question it is a long flight and it can be a little arduous depending on the routing and stopovers. But for us, given the amount of time we spend, it is well worth the effort. We feel the same way about Australia/NZ and Africa.

From Australia everywhere is a long way. 8-10 hours to Asia, everywhere else 15 hours plus.

Australia to Dubai 15 hours then on to wherever. LA 14 hours then in to East Coast.

Big sigh, but I love to see new places and cruise so that’s what you do.

If you can do business I believe it would be easier, also try to factor in a 2 or 3 day stopover about halfway, it does help.

Enjoy your cruise once you get there.

Those long flights is why I'll probably never see Australia....can't spend that much time in a seat....I would go insane. Yes...if there is some way to break it up over 2-3 days..do it!

If you try flying in biz class in lay flat seats (particularly on Star Alliance carriers), you might change your mind.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

We did this also, Dulles to Narita to Bangkok ... United Economy Plus, short layover in Tokyo ... we were in our early sixties, both of us with arthritis-related issues, some other fairly minor health issues ... Mr Chew is very tall ... and we managed this trip just fine. But it was long and tiring.

We spent two nights in Bangkok before our cruise ... would love to go back and see some more of Thailand. We are both actually in better shape & health than we were two years ago ... although Mr Chew is still very tall.

How long is the flight from Tokyo to Bangkok

We were 10 hours from Kuala Lumpur to Gold Coast. I did not realize that it would take that long.

We did a one way coming home from Australia. We did Jetstar (Qantas code share) to Honolulu and booked another fare for the balance. What we saved in fare by doing it this way more than paid for our hotel in Honolulu.

This is a follow up to my original post. We did some research and looking at an Emerites flight from Ft. Lauderdale, FL changing planes in Dubai then on to Bangkok. Does any one have experience with this flight.....specifically it is a change of planes in Dubai. 3 hour layover. Easy?

We were ready to book and reserve our flight to bangkok but then we discovered that getting back from shanghai which was the final cruise port of the itinerary was basically impossible. we are going to plan our trip to Asia in 2019 with better flights to/from the starting and ending ports. oh well