Charter air LA to Papeete

Andee

I am aware that Oceania has a charter flight from Papeete to LA at 1130 pm on disemarkation day.

Does anyone know if they use charters from PPT to LAX?

We're trying to decide between taking the $1350 air credit and booking our own flights or paying the $175 deviation fee and using O flights because we went to spend several days on Tahiti before or after the cruise.

Thanks.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Forums mobile app

I am aware that Oceania has a charter flight from Papeete to LA at 1130 pm on disemarkation day.

Does anyone know if they use charters from PPT to LAX?

We're trying to decide between taking the $1350 air credit and booking our own flights or paying the $175 deviation fee and using O flights because we went to spend several days on Tahiti before or after the cruise.

Thanks.

I would guess that the flight goes into LAX.

Oh, darn! I meant to ask about LAX to Papeete.

There will be multiple charters LAX to PPT. The charters arrived during the evening hours on embarkation day. Passengers pretty much missed the first day on board and they had to be jet lagged upon arrival.

We do our own air almost everywhere. We flew into PPT four days early, spent one night in Papeete then took the ferry to Moorea for three nights. Many fellow cruisers did the same thing, spending various amounts of time in the islands before boarding the cruise.

We are deciding whether to spend a few days in Tahiti before or after the cruise. Which flight we'd take is one of the factors. I would not be happy to arrive in the evening.

At 1st look, I can take the air credit of $1350 and fly Delta/Air France for $1595, giving us 4 days before the cruise, but leaving the ship early the last day to make the 825 am flight. Since I wouldn't have to pay the $175 deviation fee, the credit is equal to $1525. We'd fly from Milwaukee, our home airport, but have to change planes in MSP to get to LA.

If I fly Air Tahiti Nui from LA, the cost is almost $2000.

Gees, don't fly Air Tahiti Nui!! Worst airline we've ever flown. Broken seats, indifferent cabin attendants, etc etc etc. Air France is the better choice.

ps/rumor has it another French airline will be flying to PPT via SFO 3 times weekly starting sometime in 2018....less expensive fares too.

We had no issues with Air Tahiti Nui. The interior of the plane was in excellent condition and service was no better or worse than other carriers. We choose flights based on scheduled departure time so we flew on a mid afternoon flight out of LAX. Avoid red eyes.

We rarely eat airline food. Have a meal at LAX prior to departure.

I would recommend spending time in the islands pre cruise in order to adjust to the time zone change. After a cruise ends we are ready to go home,

There will be multiple charters LAX to PPT. The charters arrived during the evening hours on embarkation day. Passengers pretty much missed the first day on board and they had to be jet lagged upon arrival.

We do our own air almost everywhere. We flew into PPT four days early, spent one night in Papeete then took the ferry to Moorea for three nights. Many fellow cruisers did the same thing, spending various amounts of time in the islands before boarding the cruise.

Did the same thing. Wonderful way to do it. Three nights in Moorea and then two nights in Papette in over the water huts. Perfect way to start a vacation. We ended in Sydney and stayed there two days also. :):):)

Edited by RJB
Addition

Don't know the dates of your cruise but you might consider flying Hawaiian Air via Honolulu. They fly to/from PPT from Honolulu on Saturdays. You can schedule your flights to/from HNL to match your cruise and pre/post-cruise stays in Tahiti. Round trip from LAX runs about $1300 and a day or two stay in Hawaii will sort out any jet lag and let you gradually slip into and out of the island lifestyle.

Just a thought...

We plan to get to Tahiti several days before the cruise.

It would annoy me no end to be booked in a flight arriving the evening of the first day, so I appreciate knowing about that.

I'd rather take an 8 hour flight LAX-PPT than 2 flights via Hawaii. We've been there and aren't interested in returning.

On AirBnB, I've found several houses/apartments in Tahiti that look appealing.

Thanks for all the input!

We are deciding whether to spend a few days in Tahiti before or after the cruise. Which flight we'd take is one of the factors. I would not be happy to arrive in the evening.

At 1st look, I can take the air credit of $1350 and fly Delta/Air France for $1595, giving us 4 days before the cruise, but leaving the ship early the last day to make the 825 am flight. Since I wouldn't have to pay the $175 deviation fee, the credit is equal to $1525. We'd fly from Milwaukee, our home airport, but have to change planes in MSP to get to LA.

If I fly Air Tahiti Nui from LA, the cost is almost $2000.

Take the first mentioned flight and stay before the cruise. We took the 8:25 AM flight back, it works but we had to take our own luggage off. If it works right (as they don't have flights every day) and you get in the day before, you can take the night flight back and just miss the morning and the last night on the ship. It is important not to have jet lag when you start this cruise, believe me. We have done it four times.

Caroldoll, What time did your cruise arrive in Papeete for you to catch the 8:30AM AF flight? Our cruise will arrive at 5:00AM from Huahine on a day that AF departs at 8:30AM. Is that the timetable that you had when you caught the 8:30AM AF flight?

I believe she was on the same cruise I was, we got there the night before. I actually left the night before like George's Gal. Bear in mind if you choose this option that you will have to pay for an air deviation if you are doing your air through Oceania.