Is Silver Seas for Us?

25plus

Background: We are 65+; our first cruise was in 1986 on Carnival's Holiday and have since then taken 25+ cruises. To start with we always booked an outside room, then when balcony’s became affordable (Carnival's Destiny) we have booked balcony rooms. The last two cruises we have booked mini-suites on Princess and Holland America, and we have a mini booked this fall on Princess out of Ft. Lauderdale. I do have and wear a Tux even though my background is "blue collar" and my wife comes from a "white collar" background.

Our 50th wedding anniversary will be in Nov of 2011 and for a special cruise I have been looking at a one or two week cruise on SilverSeas. As anyone who checks prices knows it will cost approximately twice to three time as much to do SilverSeas as Carnival, Princess, HAL, etc. We have no one to impress, I just want something special for a very nice lady who has been my partner for 50 years. So I would appreciate some opinions as to whether to go with a minisuite or suite on the above mentioned lines or go for broke and go with SilverSeas. Thank you for any replies.

I think you would LOVE Silversea!! It is more expensive, but worth every penny as far as I am concerned. Your wish is their command. They will cheerfully get you any wine or mixed drink that you like, prepare special meals, if you ask in advance. Serve anything from a snack to a full meal in your room. All included. On our last cruise we had both an anniversary and a birthday. A cake was delivered to our room each time. Written in chocolate on the rim of the plate was Happy Anniversary (or Birthday).

Even the least expensive room (Vista Suite) is still very nice. All granite bathroom with separate tub and shower. Large picture window, flat screen TV, desk, couch and chair, even a little area to apply make up.:)

We could afford a room with a balcony, but why spend the extra money?

The ships are drastically smaller, only a few hundred people instead of thousands.

Read some of the other threads on this forum for ideas about food, etc.

I would go for it if I were you.

The thread I had in mind is "Silversea Secrets". Has tons of info.

I also meant to mention - the first time we cruised SS, we were worried that the people would be too snooty or too old (we are in late 40's).

Neither is true, wonderful people (have met one or 2 that are snooty and quite impressed with themselves, but that is the exception) we have met people we will be friends with for life. Staff is also great. Especially if you are nice to them, they will bend over backwards for you. They make a point to try and learn your name and address you that way.

The one bad thing is that you will be SPOILED and not want to go back to mass market lines ever again!:D

Congratulations on your upcoming 50th anniversary. If you do choose Silversea be sure to let them know about the special occasion. I bet they will do something very nice to help you commemorate it.

Also, remember that Silversea's fares are all inclusive so it may not be quite that much more than Carnival.

Why not try the 21 Oct-5 Nov 2011 Silver Spirit Transatlantic from Lisbon-Barbados with air include? We'll be on that cruise and did a similar cruise this past Jan from Lisbon-FLL. You can even renew your vows on the bridge at sunset. A very nice ceremony.

25Plus, congratulations on your upcoming "golden" anniversary. Strongly agree withEndo, Henry, Claudia and Doug; book Silversea for the romantic SS voyage of your lives. Absolutely concur with Doug, a vow renewal ceremony on SS at sunset is over the top...pls see the wonderful photos of Doug and Lynn and Ida and I renewing our vows on the Spirit this past January (link below). We celebrated our Silver anniversary on the Spirit earlier during this same cruise/crossing. SS went way above and beyond to make it a very special evening. I had arranged a special Indian (six course) Indian Dinner at the SS's main Restaurant for our "golden" dinner. M'D allowed me to switch our American Express cruise benefit (premium champagne) for one of the Restaurant bottles of Dom--which we paired with our dinner. SS delivered a golden anniversary dinner memory for the ages (we passed Kudos to the Special Services department in Ft. L, to the Spirit Exec chef, Rest. Mgr, Sommilier, Waiter, and our Butler/steward) our dinner ended spectaculary--we had a very special anniversary chocolate mousse cake for desert (which had 25 (1 large candle) on it)..then Doug led his table over to seranade Ida and I with happy anniversary wishes. When we got back to our suite, we had rose petals everywhere, candles and a hand written "happy anniversary" note from the Ship's captain.

http://www.kodakgallery.com/gallery/creativeapps/slideShow/Main.jsp?albumId=157237711310&ownerId=73328823410&token=367628711310%3A1063575924

Honestly, I don't think Silversea is worth paying two or three times more than Celebrity or Princess, for what you get.

Markindayton,

Have you cruised any of the luxe lines like Silversea? Just curious,,

Host Dan

Markindayton,

Host Dan

Just FYI, Markindayton was (apparently) on the LA - LA Feb 7, 2010 Silver Shadow cruise (or maybe the LA - Papeete or Papeete - LA portion) along with several of us Cruise Critic members. We all RAVED, and he chose to write a scathing review that contradicted everyting any of the rest of us saw or experienced. He didn't show for the CruiseCritic get-together onboard and then mentioned in his review how "snobbish and self-impressed" all the passengers were. He was not happy for whatever reason.

Markindayton,

Host Dan

We have cruised Carnival 16 times, RCCL 5 times, HAL 3 times, Norwegian twice, Celeberity once and Princess once (plus a 10 day cruise schedualled this November). I have to say we have never had a bad cruise, of course some have been better than others but we always go with a positive attitude. We have found that the key to a great cruise is not to let one small incident ruin your cruise. Nothing in life is perfect but cruising is as close to perfect as we have found. Thank you for all the positive inputs, we are really going to look into Siverseas.

Congratulations on your upcoming anniversary. That is wonderful news.

If you are going to make the decision to cruise Silversea, I personally, would take advantage of the fact that the Silversea ships roam the world and would book more of an adventurous trip on Silversea.

Why not try Africa? Or an itinerary in the far ends of Europe (some of the smaller nooks and crannies) where the large mass market ships don't go?

I think what I am trying to say is that the mass market ships basically have the Caribbean well developed, and a suite experience on one of those ships in the Caribbean with several nights dining in the specialty restaurants might prove more of an interesting experience than Silversea in the Caribbean.

Have you looked at some of the exotic itineraries Silversea offers, or are you limited to the Caribbean and Mexico? However, in looking at the Silversea website, I do see that if your goal would be to cruise in November 2011 and perhaps cruise the newest ship (Silversea Spirit), that ship is indeed based in the Caribbean at that time of year, although the ports of call are not the same as the typical ports of a mass-market ship.

Kind regards,

Gunther and Uta

Archived