libraries

berwyn

On the Freedom and Voyager class ships they are changing the cigar bar into libraries. Does any one use a library while on board ?

Yes, I do! Due to computer eye strain, I cannot use an e-reader. I've found some wonderful books on the book exchange shelf (and I've left some good ones too)

The DH uses the ship's library all the time and is one of the first places he

heads to when we board. Will go through a whole book easily on one 7 night

cruise. He loves to sit up on deck away from the pool area and read in the sun on

sea days.

Then there are the "Chair Hogs" that pick up the free use books to use

as "props" for their chair hogging with the free towels. :(

I'm curious too, about the "card room." We will be on Liberty next month and are looking for quiet areas. I was thinking that there was both a card/board game room AND a library. Hope so! (Wish there was a museum in the library, of artifacts or at least interesting things to read & learn about the ports we are visiting...and about the history of cruising.)

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Does any one use a library while on board ?

HAL ships have had excellent libraries forever, but when its newest ship was launched last year, it had a minuscule area with a few shelves holding mostly travel reference books. There was an immediate outcry and countless threads dealing with the issue, with many HAL regulars vowing not to set foot on the Koningsdam until a proper library was added.

So in answer to your question, yes, in spite of the growth in popularity of e-readers, there's a large segment of the cruise population that still enjoys a library.

There has not been a real library on Liberty since her refurb. There were a couple of book shelves at the aft elevator banks on deck 9 last Dec. The card room was in the former concierge lounge on deck 10 aft. The card room had lots of games available. Every time I noticed it was about half full, so tables were available. I have not heard that the cigar lounge is going to be changed to a library. That is a very large space to limit to only a library. Even on ships that have had a real library the area has been much smaller. That is going to really upset the cigar smokers.

On the Independence in December. They still have their library with a large selection of books

Its always my first stop after embarking a ship.

I suspect things will change when Indy gets the "enhancements" that her two sisters already have.

There has not been a real library on Liberty since her refurb. There were a couple of book shelves at the aft elevator banks on deck 9 last Dec. The card room was in the former concierge lounge on deck 10 aft. The card room had lots of games available. Every time I noticed it was about half full, so tables were available. I have not heard that the cigar lounge is going to be changed to a library. That is a very large space to limit to only a library. Even on ships that have had a real library the area has been much smaller. That is going to really upset the cigar smokers.

39august is correct. I was on Liberty 1/2/17. It's just some shelves built into the wall, always available (that part is a plus), and a few chairs - plus a book return box. I was a little disappointed at first, but I found a pretty good selection of books on the shelves. I do have an e-reader, and used it much of the time on the cruise, but when the glare is bad, I prefer a print book.