Twenty-one Days Aboard the Rotterdam: Inconsequential Observations

My Inconsequential Observations

Many CC experts have reviewed the Rotterdam with a critical and experienced eye, so I’ll add some frothy thoughts on our recent cruise.

Embarkation

• Embarkation for us was chaotic because of a last minute cabin change. Our carefully chosen cabin had been selected and confirmed for over a year, but had been changed less than a day before we boarded. (Our old number was on all our HAL pickup and hotel forms) The pleasant duty clerk was unable to cope and her overworked supervisor had to intervene a couple of times before we received the new cards. Strange since, it was simply a lateral move from central forward to central aft on deck 6. Now had it been an upgrade, I sure wouldn’t have complained. Both our intended cabin steward in the our original cabin and our new one co-ordinated to find our luggage and redirect it shortly after sail away to our new cabin.

• At embarkation, the line for 4 and 5 star mariners line appeared as long as that for those in odd numbered cabins. It was poorly arranged with lowly starred or no stared cruisers in even cabins going into one speedy line while low star cruisers in odd numbered cabins were to ‘feed’ into the same line as the multi starred cruisers and neptune suite guests. At one point the line monitor indicated we could proceed after a patient but rather long wait, in spite of the long line of multi starred mariners. And then we took a LONG time before our cards were sorted out. (We’re fickle cruisers so don’t even strive to move beyond our three stars.)

The Ship's Atmosphere

• After our most recent cruises on Celebrity and Princess we returned to HAL to a delightfully small and quiet ship. Initially we weren’t sure whether the Captain or Cruise Director set the tone, but we were pleased. No port arrival announcements were made and only once were passengers paged at the last minute before sail away - more a reflection on prompt passengers than HAL policy. There were no frenzied art auction, bingo or gaming interruptions. The Caption offered one update around noon. It was all so quietly civilized to our sensitive ears. When we considered cancelling our 2018 Princess cruise in favour of another Rotterdam cruise, the future cruise person mentioned that the ‘the quiet, more refined policy was fleet wide.’ Unfortunately there was no sailing comparable within our time frame.

Entertainment

• The Adiago Players were reduced to just a duo since our last HAL cruise which we still enjoyed immensely. I do hope they outlast our cruising years, but I fear they may not, as attendance was often sparse.

Dining

• We had early dinner seating and were served by excellent stewards. They were short of staff until the crew who missed the connection in Fort Lauderdale joined the ship in Barbados. We found the food comparable to Celebrity and Princess, great one night, and okay on others.

• Unlike recent Princess and Celebrity cruise there was NO pressure to purchase any surcharge beverages.

• For the first time ever, our experience in a surcharge restaurant, on any line, was a negative one. I’m probably overly sensitive,but found service focussed on passengers known by staff. We literally had to signal to have our water replenished and when I found a long black hair in my bread. On the other hand I suffer over attentive service which requires plenty of positive gush. We’d prepaid for another dinner but cancelled rather than being snubbed a second time. Of course the food, as expected, was excellent.

• Key West was to be preceded by a sea day and the final gala night. Bad weather caused a change of plans so that we docked in Cozumel on what was to be a sea day. Of course there would be no gala night on the last night but on every announcement and comments from staff we were assured the gala menu would be offered. No cause for any complaints ensured!

Bits and Pieces

• We’re news junkies and I noted that in spite of the significant number of Canadians aboard, our news sheet never made it above the fourth deck and was printed each day when ink was in short supply. We still enjoyed our faded news, along the news summaries from England and Australia, both of which were available elsewhere on the ship. When I jokingly noted this when at the Front Office the serious duty person offered to have it delivered to our cabin daily. We declined and chose the stairs each morning.

• In a couple of ports we docked along side a Viking ship and dining room stewards spoke of the attractions of Viking, a shorter contract (really important to crew with young families) and unlimited free wifi for staff. Several were in the process of applying though the initial hiring spree had slowed. They spoke well of HAL but these two benefits alone outweighed all else. Their many friends on Viking assured them working conditions were comparable to those on HAL.

• Smoking has never been an issue for us but we chatted with several new to HAL cruisers who were aboard because of the change. We ordered pizza one day and the only available shade in which we could wait was in the ‘smokers’ den.’ It does seem like a restricted area for the number present. Next time we learned our buzzer could reach us in the Lido.

• We purchased the $250 internet package and were pleased with the connection time. We were disappointed no unlimited package was offered.

Ruth

p.p1 {margin: 0.0px 0.0px 0.0px 0.0px; font: 14.0px Helvetica; -webkit-text-stroke: #000000}p.p2 {margin: 0.0px 0.0px 0.0px 0.0px; font: 14.0px Helvetica; -webkit-text-stroke: #000000; min-height: 17.0px}li.li1 {margin: 0.0px 0.0px 0.0px 0.0px; font: 14.0px Helvetica; -webkit-text-stroke: #000000}span.s1 {font-kerning: none}span.s2 {font: 12.0px Helvetica}ul.ul1 {list-style-type: disc}

Edited by Been There, Planning That

Great review.

Adagio has been down to a duo for a while.

thanks for sharing the info. We are sailing on her in just over 3 weeks. A bit concerned about your PG comments, but we'll wait and see.

Really appreciate hearing about your experiences and especially the internet :)

Thanks for your review. I was on this cruise briefly as I had to fly home from Puerto Rico due to a family medical emergency. I agree with you about embarkation - the 4 and 5* and Neptune Suite lines was extremely slow.

For FLKewser, the 4 nights I was aboard, I went to the shows and they were excellent - a ventriloquist, a very fine pianist, and the HAL singers and dancers.

I ate solo in the PG all four nights and had very good service and the food was excellent. The ship seemed in good shape for an older vessel - I don't look for rust spots. And the ride was very smooth - I did not feel any motion but I think the seas were pretty smooth.

The front desk was extremely helpful when I learned I needed to disembark in San Juan. I made my own flight arrangements and I did receive a couple of complimentary phone calls. The Front Desk arranged transportation to the airport and I rode with a crew member who was going home because his wife had died. That was very sad to me. It would take him two days to get back to Jakarta.

I hope to have a chance to sail on the Rotterdam again in the future.

Thanks for the review! Did you get a chance to go to any of the shows or entertainment in bars, etc? If so, would you comment?

No, we're no longer into loud entertainment. And we chose a back seat in the theatre and left part way when we did attend. We're the problem -- not the entertainers -- The theatre was always packed with an apparently appreciative audience.

Ruth

Great review.

A bit concerned about your PG comments, but we'll wait and see.

Really appreciate hearing about your experiences and especially the internet :)

It was my suspicion that the table stewards knew the few other guests dining that night from PG breakfasts or past cruises, as it was a week into our cruise when we attended. But as I said, the food was good.

I was just annoyed with my husband who still left a tip!

Ruth

And I forgot to make note of the elegant attire of the majority of cruisers on two gala nights.

We had early dining and were surprised at the number of tuxes and dark suits, by far the majority in our line of vision. I even saw a few women wearing real gowns. Bob wore his kilt but with the new rules, didn't bring along the heavy woollen jacket, fearing he'd be over dressed.

When the gala 'dinner' was served on the last night many still dressed royally.

Ruth

I had to smile at your description of your PG dinner. My Dear Sis and I had a similar interesting experience on the Zaandam a couple of years ago. We were seated side by side on the banquette with the table pushed up in front of us. We were there on a night when the PG was not very busy so a team of wait staff very attentively served us. The meal was excellent. Dessert and coffee were served. At that point, our wait team abandoned us for another table whose occupants apparently were known to them. No refresher of coffee was served. Our empty dishes sat there. No one looked our way. We would have left at that point, except that, for some reason we could not push the table away far enough to exit gracefully. Finally, we gave it a mighty shove and left. I don't think even they noticed us as we left.

Dessert and coffee were served. At that point, our wait team abandoned us for another table whose occupants apparently were known to them. No refresher of coffee was served. Our empty dishes sat there. No one looked our way. We would have left at that point, except that, for some reason we could not push the table away far enough to exit gracefully. Finally, we gave it a mighty shove and left. I don't think even they noticed us as we left.

We got our coffee -- one delicious potful, and only when we got up to leave did someone appear to hastily offer more. But, unlike you, we didn't have to move furniture to escape.

I suspect that this is one area where Neptune Suite passengers and those who choose to only eat in the PC have a distinct advantage over infrequent visitors.

Ruth

There were no frenzied art auction, bingo or gaming interruptions. The Caption offered one update around noon. It was all so quietly civilized to our sensitive ears. When we considered cancelling our 2018 Princess cruise in favour of another Rotterdam cruise, the future cruise person mentioned that the ‘the quiet, more refined policy was fleet wide.’

That is good news. The cruise director was still making announcements for bingo, spa specials and the like after the captain's noon update during our November Prinsendam cruise.

That is good news. The cruise director was still making announcements for bingo, spa specials and the like after the captain's noon update during our November Prinsendam cruise.

Well yes, she still did those after the noon update, but I consider that all one longer announcement. It's the random and frenzied interruptions multiple times a day we experienced on Celebrity and Princess to which I was comparing.

Ruth

It was my suspicion that the table stewards knew the few other guests dining that night from PG breakfasts or past cruises, as it was a week into our cruise when we attended. But as I said, the food was good.

I was just annoyed with my husband who still left a tip!

Ruth

Why would you leave a tip, anyway? I didn't know that anyone left tips for dining stewards except at the end of the cruise. BTW, thanks for your observation about the dress on gala nights. I was surprised at the number of suits and tuxes, given that it was a Caribbean cruise. I wonder if it is because the Rotterdam is the co-flagship of the fleet and people may tend to dress up more?

Also, how was the condition of the ship? It will be sailing out of Tampa next year, and we would like to experience this ship.

Why would you leave a tip, anyway? I didn't know that anyone left tips for dining stewards except at the end of the cruise. BTW, thanks for your observation about the dress on gala nights. I was surprised at the number of suits and tuxes, given that it was a Caribbean cruise. I wonder if it is because the Rotterdam is the co-flagship of the fleet and people may tend to dress up more?

Also, how was the condition of the ship? It will be sailing out of Tampa next year, and we would like to experience this ship.

I wonder if the dress is different on a longer cruise; though only three gala nights were scheduled.

We usually leave a tip in the surcharge restaurants as we have noticed many others do too. Now I well realize that's not a good reason.

Ship seemed okay to me, but then I don't look for rust and such. They were replacing carpets on the stairs while we were aboard.

Thank you for your review. You confirmed our thoughts on the surcharge restaurants onboard. If we dine with well known patrons then we are treated very well. Any of the 3 times we have dined just the two of us we have found the service to be sub par; well below the service in the main dining room. For this reason we no longer make Pinnacle Grill reservations as I find it insulting to be treated so badly.

We continue to sail HAL because of the quiet atmosphere. It makes our vacations relaxing.

Interesting about Viking. Once our children are of age or no longer interested in cruising with us, we will consider them if HAL keeps going "bigger". I have a medical condition where I can not tolerate crowds, loud sudden noises or bright lights.

1 of 4

We seem to prefer the same sort of cruise experience. And I do appreciate your comment about the PG as I was beginning to wonder if I were not a wee mite paranoid.

I think the crew interest in Viking was purely based upon free wifi and shorter contracts and not the size of the ships.

We've enjoyed Viking River cruises but their ocean cruises are a bit pricey for our more modest budget at this stage of life.

Ruth

We were also surprised at the numbers enjoying far more formal wear on our last Nieuw Amsterdam cruise in the Caribbean, after being noticed here it would be more casual on "gala night". I guess more people still enjoy the opportunity to "dress up" on cruise vacations than expected after the new dress guidelines were relaxed.

So not sure this is a factor of a ship being a "co-flag ship". Mainly if one still wants to enjoy dressing up, go for it. You will not be alone.

• 7 months later...
My Inconsequential Observations

• For the first time ever, our experience in a surcharge restaurant, on any line, was a negative one. I’m probably overly sensitive, but found service focussed on passengers known by staff. We literally had to signal to have our water replenished and when I found a long black hair in my bread. On the other hand I suffer over attentive service which requires plenty of positive gush. We’d prepaid for another dinner but cancelled rather than being snubbed a second time. Of course the food, as expected, was excellent

Bits and Pieces

• We’re news junkies and I noted that in spite of the significant number of Canadians aboard, our news sheet never made it above the fourth deck and was printed each day when ink was in short supply. We still enjoyed our faded news, along the news summaries from England and Australia, both of which were available elsewhere on the ship. When I jokingly noted this when at the Front Office the serious duty person offered to have it delivered to our cabin daily. We declined and chose the stairs each morning.

• We purchased the $250 internet package and were pleased with the connection time. We were disappointed no unlimited package was offered.

Ruth

}

We've just returned from our first ever last minute cruise; this time the repostioning from Montreal just before dry dock for the Rotterdam.

On this cruise we were pleased with the service in PG and of course the food.

The Canadian news sheets still have not made if up from the front desk and didn't appear until after lunch, but at least they had replenished the ink.

We purchased fewer internet minutes ($100 package) on this 10 day cruise but again were pleased with the at sea speed of the connection.

We were assigned Cabin 3300, a fully obstructed window at the very bow of the ship and under the theatre. Much to our surprise it proved to be a good location - quiet with a hint of natural light. The toilet did block up THREE times, and since once was in the middle of the night we had to make an early morning trek to a public one. Repairs were done promptly BUT the nighttime one was a real inconvenience.

Ruth

Edited by Been There, Planning That

Thank you for your review. You confirmed our thoughts on the surcharge restaurants onboard. If we dine with well known patrons then we are treated very well. Any of the 3 times we have dined just the two of us we have found the service to be sub par; well below the service in the main dining room. For this reason we no longer make Pinnacle Grill reservations as I find it insulting to be treated so badly.

We continue to sail HAL because of the quiet atmosphere. It makes our vacations relaxing.

Interesting about Viking. Once our children are of age or no longer interested in cruising with us, we will consider them if HAL keeps going "bigger". I have a medical condition where I can not tolerate crowds, loud sudden noises or bright lights.

I have to agree with you. My DH and I have been ignored a couple of times in the PG. i thought it was just us but now realise that many Neptune suite passengers become well known because they breakfast there. We have always dined there because of the Explore4 package. I certainly wouldn't pay to be treated like that.

We have probably eaten in the PC a total of 7 times and on 4 of those we had waiters or supervisory staff that were just plain rude.We have sailed on many cruises across many cruise lines and eaten in specialty dining on all of them and HAL is the only one we have had issues with.My favorite was the waiter on an NA transatlantic who explained to us that he was transitioning over to his new position at some 5* restaurant in Europe as his skills were wasted on a cruise ship.He was not pleased when I interrupted his story and suggested that he take our order.On the other hand,the staff in Canneletto has always been outstanding.Maybe it has just been our luck.

We got our coffee -- one delicious potful, and only when we got up to leave did someone appear to hastily offer more. But, unlike you, we didn't have to move furniture to escape.

I suspect that this is one area where Neptune Suite passengers and those who choose to only eat in the PC have a distinct advantage over infrequent visitors.

Ruth

I suspect that passengers who are known to leave tips have an even more distinct advantage.