The Big 60........

Lois R

Hi.:)..I posted on here a while back and got some very friendly advice/help. I am now on a new search. I will be 60 in March

and really want to treat myself to something different. I know Windstar is supposed to be pretty awesome. But I am

really conflicted about what to do. I would love to go to TAHITI.......and I know Windstar and Paul Gauguin both do

the itinerary.

Can I get some feedback on why Windstar is the choice for ya'll?..........also, is Tahiti more appealing to those who are

avid snorklers? I am not one........does that make a difference?

Any help you can provide would be greatly appreciated:D

As much as I enjoyed my trip on one of the motor yachts, Tahiti screams sails. Sailing in the lagoon with multi hews of blues and greens was extraordinary, watching the shadows of the sails appear in the water, the sailaways with the incredible music of 1492 these are the visual memories of my trip with WS. I adore swimming but I am not a brave snorkeler. We did do one snorkel trip swimming with the rays and sharkes that was beautiful and fun. The history, the visuals, the culture is all fascinating but sailing, under sail on the lagoon superceeds everything. We felt very special being under sail. It was a mesmorizing week. We vote for sails.

Happy Sailing, Happy Birthday.

I think that is the biggest difference..although You tube does show a lot of wonderful videos:D........sailing vs power........

Boy, who knew the difficulty in making a decision.:eek:

Both lines have their loyalists (as all cruise lines do). I do have a question though.....does a person have to be a snorkler

to really enjoy this itinerary? I love the water but have never been into snorkeling..........I am guessing the Islands/water/

etc. still makes for a great experience........

It's an easy choice. I've been on both lines in Tahiti, and would never sail on PG again. If you have time, go to the PG board; I posted a several part review about my experience on PG, around Jan. 2014 and was basically called a liar.

I would call the PG cheerleaders rude fanatics honestly.

Tahiti is absolutely beautiful, and you don't need to snorkel to enjoy it. There is so much to do, and a cruise is one of the most affordable ways to visit Tahiti.

I would absolutely recommend The Wind Spirit for Tahiti. I wouldn't even consider PG.

It's an easy choice. I've been on both lines in Tahiti, and would never sail on PG again. If you have time, go to the PG board; I posted a several part review about my experience on PG, around Jan. 2014 and was basically called a liar.

Tahiti is absolutely beautiful, and you don't need to snorkel to enjoy it. There is so much to do, and a cruise is one of the most affordable ways to visit Tahiti.

I would absolutely recommend The Wind Spirit for Tahiti. I wouldn't even consider PG.

WOW...so sorry about that experience, especially on here.....giving a review of one's cruise should not be attacked

by others:(........really sorry about the rude replies.

I know you have posted on here a long time and I appreciate your reply:) I will look at the Wind Spirit more closely.

Me again.....I went back and saw one of your installments.......(the last one)...of that cruise....I can say the main person

who gave you a hard time? OMG......what is their problem?:eek:........and an FYI, there are some other folks who really

wanted you to finish the review....but that was 3 years ago.....so I guess you are not going to;)......

And I hope you and your family are doing well.:)

Thanks, Lois.

Well, that person's account was suspended, but they came back with a new name and they continue to post away. You just aren't "allowed" to say anything negative about PG on that board.

No cruise line is perfect and we still had a very good trip. I just can't recommend PG. The food was good and I loved our balcony, but the ship was too big and service subpar.

Whatever you choose, you must take Dr. Poole's dolphin tour in Moorea.

Ok...I went to the Pacific Islands forum and did a search and your information came up:D...that sure does look like an

awesome tour:).

I second Strenz's comments. We sailed on Wind Spirit last year and it was truly an amazing experience. Our weather was not the best, and I still say that. It is such a beautiful place you can overlook that. The staff was amazing and truly went out of their way to make accommodations when the weather prohibited us from going on our beach bar-b-que. The guests on the cruise were great fun also. As for snorkeling, you don't have to do that, but I think you will be happy if you do. One place we went, you could stand on the sea floor and snorkel. I am a wimpy swimmer, and I loved it.

You won't be sorry if you choose Wind Spirit.

I second Strenz's comments. We sailed on Wind Spirit last year and it was truly an amazing experience. Our weather was not the best, and I still say that. It is such a beautiful place you can overlook that. The staff was amazing and truly went out of their way to make accommodations when the weather prohibited us from going on our beach bar-b-que. The guests on the cruise were great fun also. As for snorkeling, you don't have to do that, but I think you will be happy if you do. One place we went, you could stand on the sea floor and snorkel. I am a wimpy swimmer, and I loved it.

You won't be sorry if you choose Wind Spirit.

Thanks for your reply:)....I can swim, I have just never gotten the hang of the rest of it.:eek: I remember going on an excursion

in Barbados and most everyone else went snorkeling......I stayed on the boat......actually that is not true.....I got in the

water but was not feeling much help from anyone and I had a very hard time getting back on that boat.......:(

On Wind Spirit in July. Will post photos on my Flick account and FB (and link here). Spending a week beforehand in Papeete and Moorea.

We like hiking and that sort of think. Booked on the Kayak Tour in Raiatea and a few other. Not Scuba Diving but like the occasional Snorkel Trip.

• 3 weeks later...

I am still looking at cruises and have another question......what input do any of you regulars have about taking a TA

Crossing? There is a 13 night cruise in April that I am going back and forth about........yes, I love the sea and have

not taken a TA before.........the prices look OUTSTANDING:).......

Thoughts please:)

Hi Lois. Take a look at travelberlin's posts and see if this appeals to you. We did TA on QM2, liked certain aspects, but ready to see land after 7 days. Don't think I would do one with WS as much as I love the ships and people. Only you can figure out if 14 days at sea would be enjoyable or if you would feel trapped if you didn't like the ship, people or sea conditions.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

We have been on the April TA three times, so you can tell we enjoy it. It's usually not at all full, although we've been on full and don't find that crowded.

If you enjoy the idea of endless days with (almost) nothing scheduled, then this is the cruise for you. There is a well attended daily trivia game and that's about it. I tend to play wiifit at lunch time in the lounge.

If like to read, or write, or have another hobby you like to spend time on, it could be a good fit.

I am still looking at cruises and have another question......what input do any of you regulars have about taking a TA

Crossing? There is a 13 night cruise in April that I am going back and forth about........yes, I love the sea and have

Thoughts please:)[/quote

Hi Lois, I have done many transatlantics, either by myself or with my husband.

I love sea days and I enjoy being on my own. I also enjoy socializing but this is not my first priority when doing a cruise. I think a TA is a wonderful way to travel and the most bequem alternative to flying. I will not do a TA on a small ship like Windstars. Celebrity, MSC, Queen Mary and Royal Caribbean are the lines I would take. Even Azamara is too small for my level of confort when doing a TA.

If you have questions, let me know.

Ivi

Thanks for the reply:)...so you still sail Mass Market then........do you prefer it for a TA so you have more things to do?

Or is it a smoother ride on the larger ship for such a long cruise?

Hi again Lois. We don't do mass market anymore but did QM2 kind of as a lark because James Taylor was going to be the entertainment. It opened our eyes to a different world of travel. Met many people who go back and forth to Europe a couple of times a year to avoid flying. The ship and everything about it was amazing. Even kennels onboard and a deck where people walk their dogs. Also Cunard had a deal with BA so fare included business class flight back to USA very cheap. If the timing would only work out we'd take it over and back every yeat and do Windstar over there. They have 10,000 volume library, wonderful jazz, lots of history, observatory, etc. Food was not as good as Windstar though. Carnival owned put a lot of the Brits off but the Americans had a great time. But as I said, 7 days at sea was enough for us. That's a personal thing and 14 days on a smaller ship would not be for us but know people who loved it.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Thanks for the reply:)...so you still sail Mass Market then........do you prefer it for a TA so you have more things to do?

Or is it a smoother ride on the larger ship for such a long cruise?

We choose a cruise for the destination and for special events. We prefer smaller ships like Azamara, even Crystal. Sailing for the first time with Windstar this year.

So if we wish to go to Carnival in Rio, or to the Jazz Festival in New Orleans and only a large ship is going, we will take it. Being or not a "Mass Market" ship is not our concern. Besides that, nowadays all large ships have categories with special accommodations like penthouse suites and special gourmet restaurants for people booking that category, for example the Yacht Club on MSC ships. So you can have a more intimate experience if this is what you wish.

If we wish to do a transatlantic, we will not choose a small ship due to entertainment on board, due to more movement and because on a large ship people can be at different places without having to be all in the same public areas. Many more options.

Now, I would not call the Queen Mary 2, a "mass market" ship. Only ship which has been built for TA...

Hi again Lois. We don't do mass market anymore but did QM2 kind of as a lark because James Taylor was going to be the entertainment. It opened our eyes to a different world of travel. Met many people who go back and forth to Europe a couple of times a year to avoid flying. The ship and everything about it was amazing. Even kennels onboard and a deck where people walk their dogs. Also Cunard had a deal with BA so fare included business class flight back to USA very cheap. If the timing would only work out we'd take it over and back every yeat and do Windstar over there. They have 10,000 volume library, wonderful jazz, lots of history, observatory, etc. Food was not as good as Windstar though. Carnival owned put a lot of the Brits off but the Americans had a great time. But as I said, 7 days at sea was enough for us. That's a personal thing and 14 days on a smaller ship would not be for us but know people who loved it."

Sb 44, I agree with you in your description of the QM2 and that I would not like to do 14 days on a small ship.

We have done TAs which were 22 days long but the sea days were distributed in such a way, that the longest number of sea days we had on a row on that TA was 5. I admit is not for everybody but we love it. We do not choose TAs for the sake of choosing a cruise. It is not really a cruise it is either a repositioning ship or it is the QM2 doing the regular journey between America and Europe. When we take a TA we do not really "cruise", we travel, meaning it is a way of transport. An alternative to flying.

Thanks to both of you for the detailed replies:)........not sure why I am having such a difficult time deciding what to do........

I just want to do something special for such a big birthday:D.........I will keep searching though:D

The reason the prices look outstanding is that most people prefer not to take a long TA cruise. Very rarely have I heard of a WS TA sailing being full. The big question is what you enjoy. If you enjoy just sitting around reading a book or playing games then a TA would be fine. However, on WS the ship is designed for people to be outside - which may be an issue if the weather is cold. If you want a TA, I would strongly suggest a larger cruise ship. It will have more stability and more interior room if the weather is bad.

However, if you enjoy seeing sights and seeing new areas of the world, then taking one of the "normal" cruises may suit you better. See and discover a port during the day and change location at night.

Bottom line is that no one can really tell you what is best. Look at what you would enjoy and are expecting and make you choice based on that.

I've taken TA's on many, many ships and enjoyed them all but there's one thing you need to keep in mind about Windstar. There's very little program on a Windstar TA. People read, they relax, they may hang out in small groups but activities organized by the ship are few and far between. Windstar has a loyal group of regular TA people who love it that way but it isn't for everybody. There may be a chink in that armor; on my 2014 TA there was a guy who did a seminar on "Writing your life story"; It was excellent but very poorly attended.

Excellent service if that program is what you are looking for.

Roy