Silver Explorer Lisbon departure delayed by two days

57 varieties

The Explorer has been in the Canaries being refurbished and should have picked up her guests in Lisbon today. Unfortunately she is not in Lisbon and guests are in the Four Seasons Hotel in Lisbon until Monday.

Several ports of call are cancelled (Porto, Cies Islands and Guernsey) and other visits will be curtailed.

The Explorer has been in the Canaries being refurbished and should have picked up her guests in Lisbon today. Unfortunately she is not in Lisbon and guests are in the Four Seasons Hotel in Lisbon until Monday.

Several ports of call are cancelled (Porto, Cies Islands and Guernsey) and other visits will be curtailed.

Sorry to hear that 57 ... hope they're looking after you and you get fully compensated on your return.

Bon voyage when it happens.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The Explorer has been in the Canaries being refurbished and should have picked up her guests in Lisbon today. Unfortunately she is not in Lisbon and guests are in the Four Seasons Hotel in Lisbon until Monday. Several ports of call are cancelled (Porto, Cies Islands and Guernsey) and other visits will be curtailed.

Appreciate this update and sorry to hear of this "management mess-up" with the delay in getting this refurbishing completed on time. This gets costly and embarrassing for Silversea, plus the huge complications for the scheduled passengers. Given our sailing June 14 from Lisbon on the Silver Spirit, two of our port stops that we are really looking forward to are at Porto and Guernsey. Hope that they get things back on schedule and make things "right" for the customers.

THANKS! Enjoy! Terry in Ohio

Enjoyed a 14-day, Jan. 20-Feb. 3, 2014, Sydney to Auckland adventure, getting a big sampling for the wonders of "down under” before and after this cruise. Go to:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1974139

for more info and many pictures of these amazing sights in this great part of the world. Now at 179,676 views for this posting.

This is of course regrettable, but such delays have lots of precedent in the industry. Whose bathroom or kitchen renovation is completed precisely on time? :) In any case, Lisbon is an interesting city and it looks as if the guests are being well looked after. The Four Seasons is hardly hardship accommodation.

This is of course regrettable, but such delays have lots of precedent in the industry. Whose bathroom or kitchen renovation is completed precisely on time? :) In any case, Lisbon is an interesting city and it looks as if the guests are being well looked after. The Four Seasons is hardly hardship accommodation.

YES! YES!! Excellent summary as highlighted above for these key points made. "Suffering" at the Four Seasons does not happen too often. Good luck for getting events back on schedule.

THANKS! Enjoy! Terry in Ohio

Did a June 7-19, 2011, cruise from Barcelona that had stops in Villefranche, ports near Pisa and Rome, Naples, Kotor, Venice and Dubrovnik. Dozens of nice visuals with key highlights, tips, comments, etc. We are now at 224,590 views for this live/blog re-cap, including much on wonderful Barcelona. Check these postings and added info at:

www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1426474

When I'm renovating my bathroom or kitchen I'm not booking guests to pay high prices to use them on the date of supposed completion. Not an accurate comparison.

When I'm renovating my bathroom or kitchen I'm not booking guests to pay high prices to use them on the date of supposed completion. Not an accurate comparison.

It is more like the bathroom being both delivered late, and with the toilet and bath missing and being told it is fine because you had a decent sink!

:)

I'm unclear as to why it's Silversea's fault that the shipyard did not meet their contracted deadline for the drydock, unless they have had this problem at this particular yard before and learned nothing from the experience.

I'm unclear as to why it's Silversea's fault that the shipyard did not meet their contracted deadline for the drydock, unless they have had this problem at this particular yard before and learned nothing from the experience.

Hi,

It isn't a matter of fault but of responsibility.

Silversea is responsible to it's customers, and the shipyard is responsible to Silversea. The Shipyard has no contract with Silversea's customers.

It is for Silversea to decide how much margin to allow for unforeseen delays so as not to impact cruise dates and they self-evidently failed to do so.

The Explorer passengers were treated to an 11 hour winery and fado dance tour today. Due to board tomorrow at 1800 after ship has taken on provisions. Porto and Guernsey reinstated, Vigo cancelled and Bordeaux visit abbreviated.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

The Explorer passengers were treated to an 11 hour winery and fado dance tour today. Due to board tomorrow at 1800 after ship has taken on provisions. Porto and Guernsey reinstated, Vigo cancelled and Bordeaux visit abbreviated.

Nice diversions!

Were they warned prior to arrival about the changes?

The Explorer passengers were treated to an 11 hour winery and fado dance tour today.

Between this and the Four Seasons lodgings, it looks as if Silversea is doing the best they could in this unfortunate situation.