Transfer from QM2 to QE in Soton

Topper123

Hello all,

My main squeez and I are both first time ‘cruisers’ and novice travelers. We’ve booked passage to the U.K. on QM2 next July. Upon our arrival in Southampton, if all goes according to plan, we shall transfer to the QE for a circumnavigation of the Island. While in Southampton we’ld like to take in some sights, besides the harbor facilities, and therein lies our conundrum.

According to the pleasant folks I’ve dealt with at Cunard, the company does not offer shore excursions to either disembarking or embarking passengers. We’re doing both. I’ve noodled around in this board and noted that other folks have had conflicting experiences with this type of transfer, which I suppose could be do to Cunard changing it’s protocol over time.

Everyone reports that they receive special luggage tags and leave the baggage out for collection the night before embarkation. Some folks report that Cunard took it from there and the next time they saw their luggage was outside their cabin on the new ship. In the mean time, they’re free to go their merry way until embarkation later in the day. Others had to collect their bags on the pier and take them through customs before turning them back into the custody of Cunard. The company then provided transportation to tote them and thier luggage to the new ship. Finally, while some report that they had to cool thier heels for the day, others claim that Cunard offered a tour to keep them amused.

Clear as mud?

I’ve noted that it’s possible to hire a car and driver for excursions to places like Stonehenge, Salisbury, Winchester, Windsor, Portsmouth, New Forest, etc. Some of these trips require four to five hours to complete. Is it prudent to leave the cruise terminal for that long? If so, what would be a reasonable time to arrange for pick-up and what time would it behouve us to return for check-in to the QE?

I’ve also noted that there are other things to see and do right in Southampton, if in fact a five hour excursion is too risky an undertaking. While I’m sure that Southampton is a wonderful town, I wouldn’t be thrilled by the prospect of spending our honeymoon there instead of with th QE!

So there it is. What think you. I thank you all in advance for your consideration and taking the time to offer counsel.

Regards,

I lived in Southampton for 9 years, but hope I can be subjective. It's a typical British city. There are some historic parts, a few medieval buildings, but much of the centre got blitzed circa 1940, and much has been redeveloped since. Given you're touring the UK later, I wouldn't stop in Southampton. If you can get, say, a four-five hour time-slot away, I'd ask a taxi operator at the docks what (s)he'd charge to take you Winchester, about 15 miles away. Nice old city, superb cathedral, interesting old buildings. I wouldn't recommend the uncertainty of trying to get to Stonehenge or Salisbury, and the nervousness about missing the ship.

Stuart

Good morning Topper, 'The Procedure' for transferring from one ship to another in the Cunard fleet is as follows ;

You will be required to identify your own luggage in the baggage area the morning of disembarkation , having left it outside your stateroom door the evening before ( that's assuming you are not doing self disembarkation)

You will ( as all guests do ) have to clear/pass through UK customs at the exit to the baggage hall.

You will be responsible for seeing your own luggage onto the transport that will take luggage to your next ship ( there will be a Cunard rep on hand to assist and direct you. ( you will have been supplied with new/special luggage labels from the onboard Tours Office a day or two before disembarkation. Only after this procedure will your luggage find it's way to your stateroom for your next Cunard ship.

You are free to either take the Cunard transport that will be provided or, make your own way to the next ship ( quite often this will be docked in another cruise terminal close by , it's quite possible to walk if your prefer not to take the transport )

This procedure is standard ( I have done this on more than one occasion) it does not change.

Regarding sightseeing ;

I'll leave others to give you suggestions, however, don't venture too far ;)

Good morning Topper, 'The Procedure' for transferring from one ship to another in the Cunard fleet is as follows ;

You will be required to identify your own luggage in the baggage area the morning of disembarkation , having left it outside your stateroom door the evening before ( that's assuming you are not doing self disembarkation)

You will ( as all guests do ) have to clear/pass through UK customs at the exit to the baggage hall.

You will be responsible for seeing your own luggage onto the transport that will take luggage to your next ship ( there will be a Cunard rep on hand to assist and direct you. ( you will have been supplied with new/special luggage labels from the onboard Tours Office a day or two before disembarkation. Only after this procedure will your luggage find it's way to your stateroom for your next Cunard ship.

You are free to either take the Cunard transport that will be provided or, make your own way to the next ship ( quite often this will be docked in another cruise terminal close by , it's quite possible to walk if your prefer not to take the transport )

This procedure is standard ( I have done this on more than one occasion) it does not change.

Regarding sightseeing ;

I'll leave others to give you suggestions, however, don't venture too far ;)

Bell Boy,

Thank you for your clear explanation. Will there be porter’s to assist as we will be transferring from the QE to the QM2 after the WC—and you can imagine the amount of luggage we will have...

Ricki

Indeed, Porters are always available, 'standing around in the baggage arrivals hall' ( they will be pleased you are making use of them ;) ) including 'dozens of shore side personnel' who assist disembarking guests to locate their colour coded luggage.

Indeed, Porters are always available, 'standing around in the baggage arrivals hall' ( they will be pleased you are making use of them ;) ) including 'dozens of shore side personnel' who assist disembarking guests to locate their colour coded luggage.

Thank you, Bell Boy. That’s good to know!

Ricki

This is a great thread. I find myself in a similar situation in July 2018 from the QE to the QM. Is the "transport" free?

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk

I have done this several times also and the bus from the QE to the QM2 will be free. A nice service.

Thank you Wiltonian and Bell Boy! You’ve managed to clear much up in my mind - no mean task. I still have a wonderment though. I’m thinking of hiring a car and driver to run us out to Winchester for a few hours. (Thanks for the steer, Wiltonian!) Does anyone have a sense of when I might reasonably expect to clear customs and when I should plan to get back for check-in to the QE? If it makes any difference in disembarking, we’ll be traveling in a Q6 on the Mary.

Regards