Vancouver 2 days - Rent Bikes? HOHO? Please advise...

EeyoreFan1967

Hello!

We are arriving in Vancouver late afternoon on the Thursday before a Saturday cruise. We will probably be exhausted from travel from New Jersey but hungry an needing to stretch. Our hotel (Residence Inn by Marriott Downtown) is very close to GI, so I thought this would be the perfect time to wander over there and explore/eat dinner before early bed.

I was thinking we might rent bikes for the day on Friday and first go over to Stanley Park and explore as long as it holds our interest, return the bikes before dinner. We will have another day on the Saturday our cruise returns because we are not flying home until Sunday am.

Would you suggest the bikes or recommend HOHO instead? Which way would we see more of the city? Or maybe do the HOHO option on the Saturday we return and explore SP with the bikes the Friday before the cruise? This will be our first time in Vancouver. Would love suggestions for foods not to miss, too. Anything uniquely Vancouver and or Canadian? I'm thinking some version of poutine is a must for my cheese and fries loving family.

TIA!

Hi there! Our family rented bikes this past summer to explore Stanley Park. It was one of our favorite days of the whole trip. The park is so bike friendly and beautiful! Enjoy!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Thank you! Was there anything there that stuck out for your family in particular? We would probably ride around the sea wall and then explore some of the twisty interior paths. Anything you think is not to be missed? Thanks so much for your response!

The only downside to bike rentals IMO is the lack of a guide! So perhaps, as first-timers, taking a HOHO to get your bearings, some history etc. and then using the bikes (which are definitely the best way to see Stanley Park) afterward.

I'd also suggest that you don't actually walk all the way to Granville Island on day one, as you need to cross False Creek. On foot this involves a lengthy detour, as the bridge flies well past before you can get back down to sea level. Instead, take the little ferries (Aquabus or False Creek Ferries - pricing is the same for cash trips, so unless you plan to do a lot of pootling around on them to make buying their discount strips of tickets worthwhile which brand doesn't matter). Google Maps actually has their routes integrated - so if you punch in your hotel and a GI address (e.g. the Public Market) and choose Walking mode it will use the ferries by default.

Poutine isn't a Canadian thing so much as a Quebecois thing - we do have some poutineries here, some of which are very good, though. If it's authentic you want, then Fritz Fry House or la Belle Patate are probably your best bets. Both should be quite walkable. One of my favourites among the fancy poutines is Edible Canada's - on Granville Island. This is much swankier than a regular one, using duck fat for the fries (they do it at brunch, with eggs etc., but you can also order simple items for takeout from the little hatch next to their front door in summer - if all you want is some poutine that will be much easier than waiting for a table).

We have some pretty unique seasonal food - Spot Prawns for example in May - but there really isn't a unique-to-Vancouver dish. Locavore cuisine is certainly common, so depending what you eat at home there may be a bunch of different things here, but you'll find much the same stuff served throughout the Pacific North West. Japadog is ALMOST unheard of elsewhere - but they have opened a couple of US branches. They have several food carts, trucks, and a sitdown resto on Robson St which offers the full menu - but the go-to classic dish, kurobota pork terimayo, is usually available at even the smallest carts. It's definitely the one to try unless you can't eat pork.

Alaskan King Crab may not be fished locally, but it reaches by far the pinnacle of it's prep here - unlike the steamed & frozen stuff you'll be served literally everywhere in Alaska (fishing season is midwinter, so doesn't even come close to overlapping cruise season) we keep 'em alive in big tanks. You have to order a whole one, so it's really a meal for 8+ regular folks (maybe 6 big fat fatties like me) - and you'll get a starter/dessert and three different crab courses (more if you pay extra) all made with the crab they show you at the start of the meal. Many large Chinese restos offer this - Sun Sui Wah started the concept (2 branches, 1 in Vancouver and another in Richmond) and you can kill two birds with one stone by trying their roasted Squab at the same meal (pigeon - delicious!). Red Star is another well-known crab feast resto, but Dynasty is probably the most convenient good one for you downtown (they're also among the most-awarded local restos since they opened a few years ago).

More generally, we do Asian and especially Chinese food VERY well - better than most Chinese cities! From super-authentic recipes that granny from a tiny village made to modern fusion styles, we run the gamut. You can find several more obscure varieties than the usual Cantonese/Szechuan most everywhere has. Indian, Malay, Filipino are also pretty well represented, and there are shedloads of Japanese restos - especially Izakayas (sort of a Japanese Tapas pub concept). A few varieties of sushi rolls claim to have been invented here, so I guess they're also sort of unique!

The only downside to bike rentals IMO is the lack of a guide! So perhaps, as first-timers, taking a HOHO to get your bearings, some history etc. and then using the bikes (which are definitely the best way to see Stanley Park) afterward.

I'd also suggest that you don't actually walk all the way to Granville Island on day one, as you need to cross False Creek. On foot this involves a lengthy detour, as the bridge flies well past before you can get back down to sea level. Instead, take the little ferries (Aquabus or False Creek Ferries - pricing is the same for cash trips, so unless you plan to do a lot of pootling around on them to make buying their discount strips of tickets worthwhile which brand doesn't matter). Google Maps actually has their routes integrated - so if you punch in your hotel and a GI address (e.g. the Public Market) and choose Walking mode it will use the ferries by default.

Poutine isn't a Canadian thing so much as a Quebecois thing - we do have some poutineries here, some of which are very good, though. If it's authentic you want, then Fritz Fry House or la Belle Patate are probably your best bets. Both should be quite walkable. One of my favourites among the fancy poutines is Edible Canada's - on Granville Island. This is much swankier than a regular one, using duck fat for the fries (they do it at brunch, with eggs etc., but you can also order simple items for takeout from the little hatch next to their front door in summer - if all you want is some poutine that will be much easier than waiting for a table).

We have some pretty unique seasonal food - Spot Prawns for example in May - but there really isn't a unique-to-Vancouver dish. Locavore cuisine is certainly common, so depending what you eat at home there may be a bunch of different things here, but you'll find much the same stuff served throughout the Pacific North West. Japadog is ALMOST unheard of elsewhere - but they have opened a couple of US branches. They have several food carts, trucks, and a sitdown resto on Robson St which offers the full menu - but the go-to classic dish, kurobota pork terimayo, is usually available at even the smallest carts. It's definitely the one to try unless you can't eat pork.

Alaskan King Crab may not be fished locally, but it reaches by far the pinnacle of it's prep here - unlike the steamed & frozen stuff you'll be served literally everywhere in Alaska (fishing season is midwinter, so doesn't even come close to overlapping cruise season) we keep 'em alive in big tanks. You have to order a whole one, so it's really a meal for 8+ regular folks (maybe 6 big fat fatties like me) - and you'll get a starter/dessert and three different crab courses (more if you pay extra) all made with the crab they show you at the start of the meal. Many large Chinese restos offer this - Sun Sui Wah started the concept (2 branches, 1 in Vancouver and another in Richmond) and you can kill two birds with one stone by trying their roasted Squab at the same meal (pigeon - delicious!). Red Star is another well-known crab feast resto, but Dynasty is probably the most convenient good one for you downtown (they're also among the most-awarded local restos since they opened a few years ago).

More generally, we do Asian and especially Chinese food VERY well - better than most Chinese cities! From super-authentic recipes that granny from a tiny village made to modern fusion styles, we run the gamut. You can find several more obscure varieties than the usual Cantonese/Szechuan most everywhere has. Indian, Malay, Filipino are also pretty well represented, and there are shedloads of Japanese restos - especially Izakayas (sort of a Japanese Tapas pub concept). A few varieties of sushi rolls claim to have been invented here, so I guess they're also sort of unique!

Oh wow thanks so much for this amazing information! It will take me some time to digest it all. Yes in our 3 nights we will probably try Chinese at least once.

The map makes it look like such an easy walk to GI. Will have to do much more research!?

Oh wow thanks so much for this amazing information! It will take me some time to digest it all. Yes in our 3 nights we will probably try Chinese at least once.

The map makes it look like such an easy walk to GI. Will have to do much more research!?

Check the Details under directions on the walking route - it's almost certainly taking a ferry already unless it has a long 'hook' at the end doubling back on itself. Over Granville Bridge means at least an extra mile of walking to get back to the Public Market, while the Aquabus docks right at the back of the building and FCF about a hundred yards away.

If you have mastered walking on water you could walk the ferry route for free;-) I feel that a few bucks is worth avoiding the extra walking over the bridge (which is high enough to cause issues for some people, totally exposed if it's windy or rainy, and has large gaps under the siderails that scare my wife enough she refuses to use it on foot).

We took the HOHO the first day we were in Vancouver, and it gave us a great foundation for the rest of that visit and for future visits to the city. Take it the first day, then do your biking tour. Be sure to visit the area around the cruise terminal and head west along the northern Seawall to Stanley Park. Vancouver's architecture in that area is just stunning.

We'll be returning to Vancouver in June, which is probably our fifth or sixth visit. We can't seem to get enough of it. :D

If you are staying at the Residence Inn there are a couple of places within a block or two to rent bikes - You will be staying in the 1200 block Hornby - there is Reckless Rider in the 1300 block that rents both regular and electric bikes - I know them quite well as I used to live in the complex that they are located in. http://reckless.ca/

Further down the same street is Bike Sport Pacific which also rents: bikes.http://bspbikes.com/

Around the corner in the 1300 block of Burrard - is a place called City Tours - it's not there main location - that one is located further downtown - they both rent bikes and also do tours - while I haven't toured with them I have often seen them at some of the tourist attractions: here's a link:https://cyclevancouver.com/

Hope this helps -

Cheers!

Dennis

• 2 weeks later...
Check the Details under directions on the walking route - it's almost certainly taking a ferry already unless it has a long 'hook' at the end doubling back on itself. Over Granville Bridge means at least an extra mile of walking to get back to the Public Market, while the Aquabus docks right at the back of the building and FCF about a hundred yards away.

If you have mastered walking on water you could walk the ferry route for free;-) I feel that a few bucks is worth avoiding the extra walking over the bridge (which is high enough to cause issues for some people, totally exposed if it's windy or rainy, and has large gaps under the siderails that scare my wife enough she refuses to use it on foot).

So far we haven't mastered walking on water, though my daughter is close...;)

You are right, I googled the route and the walking option includes a ferry..but still it says it's under 15 minutes? I think this will be a good option for half day Thursday. I imagine we will arrive hungry and needing to stretch our muscles!

The bikes there were a high point of our whole trip.

Thanks for the cheer! I'm thinking this would be a not-to-be-missed activity for our family! :D

We took the HOHO the first day we were in Vancouver, and it gave us a great foundation for the rest of that visit and for future visits to the city. Take it the first day, then do your biking tour. Be sure to visit the area around the cruise terminal and head west along the northern Seawall to Stanley Park. Vancouver's architecture in that area is just stunning.

We'll be returning to Vancouver in June, which is probably our fifth or sixth visit. We can't seem to get enough of it. :D

Great advice about the HOHO! I'm leaning toward doing this on the full-day Friday and renting the bikes to get close and personal with Stanley Park on the Saturday we return from the cruise. Running this past the family in case there's anything specific they want to do in Vancouver that we would otherwise miss with my plan.

Any advice on don't-miss hop off stops?

If you are staying at the Residence Inn there are a couple of places within a block or two to rent bikes - You will be staying in the 1200 block Hornby - there is Reckless Rider in the 1300 block that rents both regular and electric bikes - I know them quite well as I used to live in the complex that they are located in. http://reckless.ca/

Further down the same street is Bike Sport Pacific which also rents: bikes.http://bspbikes.com/

Around the corner in the 1300 block of Burrard - is a place called City Tours - it's not there main location - that one is located further downtown - they both rent bikes and also do tours - while I haven't toured with them I have often seen them at some of the tourist attractions: here's a link:https://cyclevancouver.com/

Hope this helps -

Cheers!

Dennis

This helps a LOT! Copying and pasting to my planning journal. Wow, thanks so much! :D

So far we haven't mastered walking on water, though my daughter is close...;)

You are right, I googled the route and the walking option includes a ferry..but still it says it's under 15 minutes? I think this will be a good option for half day Thursday. I imagine we will arrive hungry and needing to stretch our muscles!

That time sounds right from the Residence Inn - it's not far, under half a mile of walking plus the short ferry hop, I just wanted to make sure you realized that the walk required getting on a boat with that route (ballpark $3pp for tickets - you can buy returns and save a little cash, but when the trip is as short as this one the value for the ferry ticket can seem really poor in comparison to the longer routes that cost the same...)

BTW, for some reason Google prefers the False Creek Ferry route - even though the Aquabus dock is even closer and much easier to find (literally walk down Hornby Street until you reach the water). This is the quicker route, and the Aquabus dock the other side is right behind the Public Market so you don't even have to walk the wee extra bit on GI from the FCF dock.

It's short enough that you won't really get to stretch your legs - but between walking around the assorted market buildings on GI and a quick circuit around the perimeter to take in the floathouses, cement company public art (different on both sides of the towers), maybe a visit to one of the breweries for tastings you can rack up another mile or so easily.