Kroschel Wildlife refuge tour with princess cruises

JP-Cruise

I was wondering who has done this tour can provide me with some info.

In the excursion description it says you board a catamaran for a 45 minute cruise along the Fjords of Haines. Is it possible to see whales during this part of the tour?

We saw whales from our tour from Skagway to Haines 10 years ago. There are no guarantees, but whales do frequent the area.

Also, we rented a car and went to Kroschel Wildlife refuge during our stop in Haines on our trip this past May. It was very interesting and he is definitely a unique character. It can be a long tour from Skagway, so definitely book through the ship if your port time is tight.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

We've ventured from Skagway to Haines twice, and never saw whales in that area. The reality is your cruise ship will pass Haines on its way to Skagway, and in five trips to Skagway we've never seen whales from the ship in that area.

It is a long day. The ferry ride to Haines is reasonable, but inevitably the ferry ride back feels BORING because you've already seen "all of it" on the way over. I'd be more worried that the day will turn into "planes, trains, automobiles", as you'll likely have a bus ride from the Haines ferry dock to the Kroschel refuge, and back again. Don't hesitate to bring store-bought food with you to sustain the (not so) munchkins.

Thanks peety3! I hadn't thought of the bus ride as well, and both directions. That does sound like a long day. My daughters really want to see the animals, so I would do it if the refuge itself is worth it.

I suggest reading reviews on trip advisor. I hear this is an amazing interactive place, there’s lots of people saying on the reviews of people petting the animals like the porcupines, and feeding a lot of the animals, petting them. Feeding a moose by putting a carrot in your mouth and the moose taking it. Interactions that you don’t get a chance to do at a lot of zoos or other animal sanctuaries. So I’d say it’s totally worth it!

I suggest reading reviews on trip advisor. I hear this is an amazing interactive place, there’s lots of people saying on the reviews of people petting the animals like the porcupines, and feeding a lot of the animals, petting them. Feeding a moose by putting a carrot in your mouth and the moose taking it. Interactions that you don’t get a chance to do at a lot of zoos or other animal sanctuaries. So I’d say it’s totally worth it!

I’m totally going to this :)

Thanks peety3! I hadn't thought of the bus ride as well, and both directions. That does sound like a long day. My daughters really want to see the animals, so I would do it if the refuge itself is worth it.

From Skagway it's a 45 minute ferry ride and a 45 minute bus ride each way, then 2 hrs at the Refuge. Doesn't seem overly long, but that's me.

Look at youtube video to get first hand views of what the refuge experience is about. Might help you with the decision.

I've travelled the Lynn Canal twice and didn't see any whales. It's not known as a primo whale watching destination, however there is a lots of whale activity in the Juneau/GlacierBay region so it's certainly possible that they could venture down the canal on their way to GB.

If you have someone who loves animals, it is definitely an experience you can't get in most places.

That being said, it is a long day from Skagway. If you have never been to Skagway, I would also consider the Bus / Train combo to Emerald Lake with Chilkoot Tours. Look at the option with the land Dog Cart ride and visit with the puppies for the animal lovers.

This will be our second time to Skagway and the first time we did the sled dog excursion. That's why I'm looking at other animal options. It does sound worth it, with the knowledge that it will be a lot of travel to get there.

I would definitely recommend it then. The scenery from the ferry and bus are beautiful. It's not like you won't have anything to look at on the way there and back, lol.

I would recommend some sturdy shoes you don't mind getting muddy. There is a decent amount of walking and quite a bit of mud due to the rains when we were there in May. Here is a photo of the grizzly at Kroschel.

d4554b2b2eb1b218a4234de5e83ec017.jpg

I would definitely recommend it then. The scenery from the ferry and bus are beautiful. It's not like you won't have anything to look at on the way there and back, lol.

I would recommend some sturdy shoes you don't mind getting muddy. There is a decent amount of walking and quite a bit of mud due to the rains when we were there in May. Here is a photo of the grizzly at Kroschel.

d4554b2b2eb1b218a4234de5e83ec017.jpg

Oh that photo is sad. Why would someone think it's ok to give wildlife Mcdonalds!

Sent from my SM-T315T using Tapatalk

Oh that photo is sad. Why would someone think it's ok to give wildlife Mcdonalds!

Sorry I need to apologise for my comment. Didn't zoom into the photo. Don't know whatbthe bear has but the packaging isn't Maccas!

Sorry I need to apologise for my comment. Didn't zoom into the photo. Don't know whatbthe bear has but the packaging isn't Maccas!

It was some pet food on a plate inside a pumpkin.

Hi! I am headed to Alaska inside passageway on Princess Ruby in June and was looking at doing the Kroschel Wildlife Refuge after arriving at the Skagway Port, but was wondering if there is a way to also go to Chilkat Preserve or Emerald Lake - or are those two in a completely different direction(s)? It looks like we have 14 hours available to us in Skagway and the KW Refuge tour is only 6 and half hours. Any advice or information on doubling tours back to back would be greatly appreciated. (And yes, I know it makes for a long day, but I am young and in good shape and I am used to it!).

Hi! I am headed to Alaska inside passageway on Princess Ruby in June and was looking at doing the Kroschel Wildlife Refuge after arriving at the Skagway Port, but was wondering if there is a way to also go to Chilkat Preserve or Emerald Lake - or are those two in a completely different direction(s)? It looks like we have 14 hours available to us in Skagway and the KW Refuge tour is only 6 and half hours. Any advice or information on doubling tours back to back would be greatly appreciated. (And yes, I know it makes for a long day, but I am young and in good shape and I am used to it!).

I can definitely relate mountain mama! I was just in Alaska last summer, did a cruise tour and did a 2 Tours in a couple ports. Did white water rafting one evening then the next morning had to be up at 4:30am and did a 12 hour day in denali. When in Alaska it seems my energy level is unlimited and I am invincible. If I can do something else besides the kroschel tour then I will do it :)

What time does the Kroschel expedition return to Skagway? If you want to visit Emerald Lake it is 75 miles north of skagway on the Klondike Hwy. You will need a rental car and a passport.

Chilkat Preserve is about 15 miles from haines. Check the schedule of the fast ferry to see how much time you have after the kroschel tour. Rental car or cab.

You will actually pass through part of the Chilkat Preserve on your way to / from the Kroschel Wildlife Refuge. It is very scenic, but you may not see many Eagles in June. They tend to arrive in late fall from what I understand.

Unless your ship offers the Kroschel and Emerald Lake Tours, and will allow you to book both, I would not attempt to do both on your own. There are too many obstacles that could cause delays and possibly cause you to miss your ship - ferries, buses, customs, etc.

I can definitely relate mountain mama! I was just in Alaska last summer, did a cruise tour and did a 2 Tours in a couple ports. Did white water rafting one evening then the next morning had to be up at 4:30am and did a 12 hour day in denali. When in Alaska it seems my energy level is unlimited and I am invincible. If I can do something else besides the kroschel tour then I will do it :)

That must be all the fresh air and lots of daylight!!! Glad you had a blast. I am arranging car rental, ferry crossing, and such right now, but was wondering about what time we get off the boat in the morning in Skagway. It says 6 am online for arrival, but how long before they let us off? I need to know to set up all my reservation times and figured you might remember from your trip. Thanks for answering.

That must be all the fresh air and lots of daylight!!! Glad you had a blast. I am arranging car rental, ferry crossing, and such right now, but was wondering about what time we get off the boat in the morning in Skagway. It says 6 am online for arrival, but how long before they let us off? I need to know to set up all my reservation times and figured you might remember from your trip. Thanks for answering.

I remember last year I was off the ship in 15 minutes. Here’s a friendly tip: at every port of call, depending on which area of the ship we were getting off I was always at the doorway where they let us off, half an hour before the time they were letting us off so I was always the first one off the ship ;). All you have to do is ask the front desk where you will be exiting the ship the morning of ;)