Cruise cancellation

ak1004

We were scheduled to cruise on Rivera on Dec.12, but my wife got a stroke last week. Had to cancel since she will not be covered by Medical Insurance.

Called Oceania, asked to re-schedule. They refused, gave us 25% refund since it is 31-60 days. Few more days and we would lose 100%.

Very disappointing. This was supposed to be our first cruise on Oceania, but mostly probably we will not be sailing with them.

I am very sorry to hear of your dear wife’s illness, and I wish her a complete recovery. Others will point out the advantages of travel insurance (including trip cancellation coverage) - so I will not. But it is a painful ( and costly) lesson.

Wishing you health in the future.

Donna

Sent from my iPad using Forums

We did have trip cancellation insurance via our credit card, but found out that it covers only $1,000 per person. My fault, I know. Will be smarter next time.

But this was not my point. We did not ask for a refund - we asked to reschedule. After all, I'm sure they are going to re-sell our cabin very easily with 5 weeks left. But they prefer to make double charge on this cabin.

Sorry for your wife's health issues

I WILL be the bearer of bad news

We always buy trip cancellation insurance whenever we book something as expensive as a cruise

We have had to cancel at the airport on the way to the cruise so I feel your pain but the insurance made us almost whole again to travel another day

I guess one should always read the fine print

I too am sorry to hear about your wife's illness and wish for a full recovery.

Do you know for a fact that any other cruise line would handle this situation differently?

I don't. But I expected better from Oceania.

Your expectation is unreasonable unless another cruise line would treat you differently.

If not, than you should be disappointed with all of them and not only Oceania. If you find one that would grant your wish in a case like this, then it would be reasonable for you to cruise with them in the future.

I am sorry for your wife’s sudden illness, however, this has been discussed on all boards including Regent, Crystal, and Silversea, in addition to mainstream cruise lines on CC. It is a business, unfortunately, little compassion in the industry. Hope she feels better in the future to continue traveling.

Like all very sorry about your wife and hope she is on her way to good health. This happened to us a while back, but that's why people have the option of of insurance-those that don't take it bear the cost. If they didn't have this rule many people would cancel and cabins would sail without someone in them (that's just a fact). We also asked if we could move the cruise but understood why not. We took the option for insurance, that was our choice so we were OK. Again sorry but I really don't think you should be upset at "O".

We did have trip cancellation insurance via our credit card, but found out that it covers only $1,000 per person. My fault, I know. Will be smarter next time.

But this was not my point. We did not ask for a refund - we asked to reschedule. After all, I'm sure they are going to re-sell our cabin very easily with 5 weeks left. But they prefer to make double charge on this cabin.

I send my wishes for your wife's speedy and complete recovery; I know how upsetting sudden illness can be. I hope you do choose to sail on Oceania once your wife has recovered; it is a wonderful cruise line. Riviera and Marina are my favorite ships at sea.

Pre-Christmas December cruises are hard to fill. That's why the pricing for that time-frame tends to run lower than the pricing for the same itinerary during and after the holidays. Also, there is a lot of competition in the Caribbean market. And this year's market has been further impacted by hurricane damage.

So I suspect that Oceania may not easily resell your cabin before sail date. In fact the Oceania web site is presently showing availability in 11 of the 17 cabin categories for your cruise.

I send my wishes for your wife's speedy and complete recovery; I know how upsetting sudden illness can be. I hope you do choose to sail on Oceania once your wife has recovered; it is a wonderful cruise line. Riviera and Marina are my favorite ships at sea.

Pre-Christmas December cruises are hard to fill. That's why the pricing for that time-frame tends to run lower than the pricing for the same itinerary during and after the holidays. Also, there is a lot of competition in the Caribbean market. And this year's market has been further impacted by hurricane damage.

So I suspect that Oceania may not easily resell your cabin before sail date. In fact the Oceania web site is presently showing availability in 11 of the 17 cabin categories for your cruise.

We had an inside cabin. They have a very limited number of those cabins and they sell very quickly. I'n sure they will sell our cabin in no time.

Sorry for your wife’s. health issues. We’ve all been there

The cruise line is not your insurer. What a slippery slope if they began to consider each case individually. Who is deserving? Who I s not? Which cruise? Which cabin category? Which cabins might be resold? Just not workable

When I got sick we had to cancel four very expensive cruises. We had insurance through our chase sapphire card and we were fully reimbursed.

It is up to you to protect yourself because unfortunately bad stuff happens.

Oceania is not at fault

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

And if they didn't sell the cruise, Oceania would forgo the expected revenue. To allow for this likelihood Oceania would have to increase the fares for everyone.

Although I'm sorry about your wife, but I'm afraid I appreciate Oceania adhering to it's published policies - which helps keep cruising affordable.

I don't. But I expected better from Oceania.

We are Oceania regulars. This year we had to cancel a four week extended journey (for bona fife medical issues) during the 100% penalty phase.

Oceania did refund port taxes, all prepaid excursions and cooking classes and, at our request, still gave us the loyalty points.

We were in the worst penalty phase and that's that. I agree that it would be nice for any cruise line to make an exception and let you transfer a booking as a courtesy. However, the sad reality of our world today is that fraud is rampant and phony or unscrupulous doctor's notes are often used in attempts to beat the system. I cannot fault Oceania for sticking with it's clearly stated policy including a written reminder to GET TRAVEL INSURANCE.

At the bottom line, we had to turn to our comprehensive travel insurance policy for reimbursement of what amounted to more than $20k.

Sure, we have excellent regular medical insurance where even my Medicare supplement converts to a regular policy the day I step out of the US. And sure my credit card has a $10k travel insurance limit (which, effectively, can be doubled to $20k by splitting the cost of the cruise price, air tix etc on my and spouse cards (each a separate United Airlines Explorer Visa)). But, we still purchase a comprehensive travel/medical policy (at a cost equal to about 10% of the cruise cost and do so within any stated time frame required for a waiver of pre-existing conditions). Note that, while we check broker websites (e.g., insuremytrip) for policy/price comparisons, we almost always buy direct from the insurance company since we've often found that the brokers' versions of the same named insurer's policy may not have as favorable limits (READ THE FINE PRINT).

BTW, most credit cards' included travel insurance will not waive pre-existing conditions. So, relying solely of that insurance can be risky.

For this cancelled trip, we also had all sorts of associated "non-refundable" or cancellation penalty-carrying reservations (air tix, transfers, show tix in London, etc.). Nonetheless, I contacted each company, and inquired about anything that might be done. Ended up with all airline taxes returned, show tix refunded, full refund of private transfers and land tours pre/post cruise.

Travel policy covered the rest with a check for $20k+. And we didn't have to resort to connecting with travel writer/ombudsman Christopher Elliott who would've provided direct contact info for the CEOs of almost all the companies with which we had dealt.

Of course, no one reimbursed us for all the planning time or the distress of missing the cruise.

We're looking forward to our next O cruise- 38 day transpacific in 2018.

Thank you everyone for your valuable tips.

As I mentioned, I did have trip cancellation from the credit card company - my mistake was not to check the fine print. I could not imagine that they would have a limit of $1,000 only.

Lesson learned of course. But I'm a bit surprised that everyone on this board is defending the corporate greed of Oceania, when it's clear that cancelling 5 weeks in advance, they will have no issues to re-sell this cabin.

But I'm a bit surprised that everyone on this board is defending the corporate greed of Oceania, .

While I am sorry for your loss, if you believe you can find a different cruise line with a policy that would make you whole....well, it does not exist.

Cruise lines and third party companies exist to sell insurance to cover this very situation.

There are credit cards (travel related) that offer higher coverage, but they also have annual fees in the neighborhood of $100/yr, some even more.

This is not corporate greed. It’s a bilateral contract. Both parties had to adhere to the terms. You did. Oceania did. Had you cancelled early you would have received a full refund. There was a clearly stated penalty for late cancellation

Contracts have meaning in our society. It’s how businesses function. Defines expectations.

Sympathy is not part of the contract. Never is

Sorry, you are way off base here.

This is not corporate greed. It’s a bilateral contract. Both parties had to adhere to the terms. You did. Oceania did. Had you cancelled early you would have received a full refund. There was a clearly stated penalty for late cancellation

Contracts have meaning in our society. It’s how businesses function. Defines expectations.

Sympathy is not part of the contract. Never is

Sorry, you are way off base here.

You are right. I'm wrong. It's a contract. It's just that contracts are clearly designed in the favor of big corporations. Probably would be the same with other cruise lines.

I'm sorry that I did not cancel earlier. My apologies. Just did not have much control over the timing of my wife's stroke..

It is sad. And what is even more sad that people consider it normal and defend the greedy corporations. What a society we have become..

You are right. I'm wrong. It's a contract. It's just that contracts are clearly designed in the favor of big corporations. Probably would be the same with other cruise lines.

I'm sorry that I did not cancel earlier. My apologies. Just did not have much control over the timing of my wife's stroke..

It is sad. And what is even more sad that people consider it normal and defend the greedy corporations. What a society we have become..

Truly sorry for you medical issue. Nonetheless, this is no different than buying a non-refundable air ticket. If you miss the flight, you're SOL. If you cancel, the best you can hope for is that there's a change fee and price difference "penalty" (that could easily bottom line at a cost equal to or more than your original ticket price).

No one here appears to be defending Oceania. As mentioned by others, we make a contract and fully expect both parties to keep their end of the clearly stated bargain.

We are Oceania regulars. This year we had to cancel a four week extended journey (for bona fife medical issues) during the 100% penalty phase.

Oceania did refund port taxes, all prepaid excursions and cooking classes and, at our request, still gave us the loyalty points.

We were in the worst penalty phase and that's that. I agree that it would be nice for any cruise line to make an exception and let you transfer a booking as a courtesy. However, the sad reality of our world today is that fraud is rampant and phony or unscrupulous doctor's notes are often used in attempts to beat the system. I cannot fault Oceania for sticking with it's clearly stated policy including a written reminder to GET TRAVEL INSURANCE.

At the bottom line, we had to turn to our comprehensive travel insurance policy for reimbursement of what amounted to more than $20k.

Sure, we have excellent regular medical insurance where even my Medicare supplement converts to a regular policy the day I step out of the US. And sure my credit card has a $10k travel insurance limit (which, effectively, can be doubled to $20k by splitting the cost of the cruise price, air tix etc on my and spouse cards (each a separate United Airlines Explorer Visa)). But, we still purchase a comprehensive travel/medical policy (at a cost equal to about 10% of the cruise cost and do so within any stated time frame required for a waiver of pre-existing conditions). Note that, while we check broker websites (e.g., insuremytrip) for policy/price comparisons, we almost always buy direct from the insurance company since we've often found that the brokers' versions of the same named insurer's policy may not have as favorable limits (READ THE FINE PRINT).

BTW, most credit cards' included travel insurance will not waive pre-existing conditions. So, relying solely of that insurance can be risky.

For this cancelled trip, we also had all sorts of associated "non-refundable" or cancellation penalty-carrying reservations (air tix, transfers, show tix in London, etc.). Nonetheless, I contacted each company, and inquired about anything that might be done. Ended up with all airline taxes returned, show tix refunded, full refund of private transfers and land tours pre/post cruise.

Travel policy covered the rest with a check for $20k+. And we didn't have to resort to connecting with travel writer/ombudsman Christopher Elliott who would've provided direct contact info for the CEOs of almost all the companies with which we had dealt.

Of course, no one reimbursed us for all the planning time or the distress of missing the cruise.

We're looking forward to our next O cruise- 38 day transpacific in 2018.

This could almost describe us, but for a different cruise line (before we discovered Oceania!).

Thanks to reading CruiseCritic for lots of handy hints about "all things imaginable related to cruising", for DH's first cruise, we got full travel insurance, and made sure that it did not exclude pre-existing conditions.

(That's why we wouldn't use credit card "versions" of the insurance, plus other reasons.)

With less than 2 weeks until we were to leave home (about 3 weeks before the cruise sailing date), DH had a medical emergency.

For several weeks, the only "travel" we did was back and forth for assorted doctors and hospitals for medical visits, tests, etc., almost daily for a very long time.

But this line really struck me just now:

"Of course, no one reimbursed us for all the planning time or the distress of missing the cruise."

How true.

I had *finally* convinced DH to try a cruise, after years and years (including going without him, which I didn't enjoy nearly as much as non-cruises with him)... and then... this! :(

Others often write things like, "if you can afford the cruise, then you can afford the loss if there is a cancellation". Well, Duh, yes. But it's not only about "affording" it!

We will never forget that in the midst of all of the "traveling" to/from those medical visits, we kept reminding ourselves that "at least we won't have to pay a second time to take this cruise later!"

It was already enough of a disappointment to stay home, and under such stressful circumstances.

We had a policy with Travel Insured, through www.TripInsuranceStore.com - and within a week of getting them all of the necessary (and not unreasonable) documentation, I was notified that the check was in the mail, and within another week, the check arrived and was cashed.

(It was about half the amount as FlatbushFlyer's, still enough to "notice".)

We later had another claim for almost as much, for a land trip when I ended up in hospital in Italy.

There's nothing to do about the "disappointment", but it paled in comparison to the medical emergencies.

But knowing we'd "have that money back to use for a future trip" certainly helped a LOT. :)

OP is overlooking the fact that it is NOT guaranteed that any travel provider will be able to sell the exact same cabin/suite on the exact same date.

More importantly, the CONTRACT makes the cancellation terms very clear. It IS that simple.

As someone else pointed out, if they started making exceptions, there'd be people gaming the system right and left (along with legitimate claims, too, of course), and the ease of faking documentation in this day and age... ... ...

It's no different than getting homeowner's insurance if you don't want to eat the cost of repairs/rebuilding. (And with that, there isn't even an explicit "contract" that warns you, unless it's as part of a mortgage.)

GC

This could almost describe us, but for a different cruise line (before we discovered Oceania!).

Thanks to reading CruiseCritic for lots of handy hints about "all things imaginable related to cruising", for DH's first cruise, we got full travel insurance, and made sure that it did not exclude pre-existing conditions.

(That's why we wouldn't use credit card "versions" of the insurance, plus other reasons.)

With less than 2 weeks until we were to leave home (about 3 weeks before the cruise sailing date), DH had a medical emergency.

For several weeks, the only "travel" we did was back and forth for assorted doctors and hospitals for medical visits, tests, etc., almost daily for a very long time.

But this line really struck me just now:

"Of course, no one reimbursed us for all the planning time or the distress of missing the cruise."

How true.

I had *finally* convinced DH to try a cruise, after years and years (including going without him, which I didn't enjoy nearly as much as non-cruises with him)... and then... this! :(

Others often write things like, "if you can afford the cruise, then you can afford the loss if there is a cancellation". Well, Duh, yes. But it's not only about "affording" it!

We will never forget that in the midst of all of the "traveling" to/from those medical visits, we kept reminding ourselves that "at least we won't have to pay a second time to take this cruise later!"

It was already enough of a disappointment to stay home, and under such stressful circumstances.

We had a policy with Travel Insured, through www.TripInsuranceStore.com - and within a week of getting them all of the necessary (and not unreasonable) documentation, I was notified that the check was in the mail, and within another week, the check arrived and was cashed.

(It was about half the amount as FlatbushFlyer's, still enough to "notice".)

We later had another claim for almost as much, for a land trip when I ended up in hospital in Italy.

There's nothing to do about the "disappointment", but it paled in comparison to the medical emergencies.

But knowing we'd "have that money back to use for a future trip" certainly helped a LOT. :)

OP is overlooking the fact that it is NOT guaranteed that any travel provider will be able to sell the exact same cabin/suite on the exact same date.

More importantly, the CONTRACT makes the cancellation terms very clear. It IS that simple.

As someone else pointed out, if they started making exceptions, there'd be people gaming the system right and left (along with legitimate claims, too, of course), and the ease of faking documentation in this day and age... ... ...

It's no different than getting homeowner's insurance if you don't want to eat the cost of repairs/rebuilding. (And with that, there isn't even an explicit "contract" that warns you, unless it's as part of a mortgage.)

GC

There is a "silver lining" on the lost planning time: I now know that the providers of tours/tix/transfers I had booked are kind and considerate and I will use them when we create the cancelled trip.

Look, I'm running a business too. And I have a cancellation policy as well. NO REFUNDS. But I'm making exceptions when necessary. A little compassion can actually greatly benefit the business, not hurt it. I know it does in my business. I know that if Oceania made an exception and allow us to reschedule (even for a small extra fee), I would become their customer for life.

Believe me, nobody wants to cancel on purpose or "game the system". Most people who book a cruise want to go - unless unexpected happens.

Hotels allow cancellations in most cases. Airlines allow you to rebook in many cases for an extra fee. Why it is different with cruise lines?