Cruise from Bangkok but getting to Bangkok from Eastern USA does not seem like fun

upgrayders

We are contemplating a Cruise from Bangkok but getting to Bangkok from Eastern USA does not seem like fun. Can anyone give insight on how one can handle the long haul....or is it too unbearable for seniors. We are thinking of flying business class but 20 hours plus may seem a bit much even with lay flat seats/beds What do you think?

Well, until we can start "beaming" people...There aren't many choices.

Business class is a very good idea. We always fly First or Business. Lie flat seats are a requirement.

Breaking up the flight is a possibility. A travel agent will help you with the complexities. You may need to buy what is called a "round the world" ticket to increase your flexibility.

We have flown from the U.S. to Bangkok about five times and to Cape Town twice (just mentioned Cape Town as this was the longest we have ever flown). Business Class w/flat bed seats makes all the difference in the world. Admittedly, we also got a prescription for Ambien which works to help you sleep for about 4 hours (note: due to the small percentage of people that react to Ambien, suggest that you check with your doctor and also try it at home before trying it on a plane).

We arrived at our destination(s) rested and ready to tackle the day.

We flew to Thailand about 15 years ago when we were younger and more resilient. Actually, we flew to Hong Kong for a few days (and then on to Singapore) before heading to Bangkok. JFK to HKG (via Vancouver) was on the order of 20 hours; we left New York around 10 PM on a Saturday night and arrived in Hong Kong about 7 or 8 Monday morning. I think there are more non-stop options now than there were in 2002.

It was doable (back then), even in coach, although nowadays we like to try to avoid overnight flights in either direction. It might be wise to fly a few days before embarkation day and rest up after the flight, either in Bangkok or another city like Hong Kong.

As others said you could break up the trip.

Some mentioned flying to Hong Kong which is a good idea.

From there you could consider staying over at the airport located right at the airport and then flying back to the USA the next day.

Either way you will still be jet lagged but as other said flying business class would make things more comfortable.

Keith

I don't think a direct flight from east coast US to Bangkok is an option (?) and I agree with others who've suggested you break your journey. This is normally at no extra cost but depending on where your stop-over is, and for how long, you might not be able to book your checked luggage straight through so you're stuck with it.

It also means you get an extra "port-of-call" as you head to or from your cruise.

We did this UK to Australia, total about 20 hours flying but about 11 hours is as much as we can hack in one hit so we stopped over in Kuala Lumpur - the alternative was an hour or so at the airport while the aircraft was refuelled.

That gave us a day in KL outbound & we booked a hotel in the city.

The return stopover was something like 7pm to 11am so we booked an airport hotel.

Yes, business class with lie-flat seats would make it more bearable, but the nearest we've come to that is drooling over them as we passed through on our way to our cattle-class seats :(

JB :)

As others have said ...break it up.

I would look for the cheapest lie flat seat to somewhere in Asia, see that city. Then fly to embarkation in Bangkok. Inter Asia flights are usually reasonably priced on a one way basis. And, if you have a lot of time, consider adding in Angkor Wat in Cambodia on the way to Bangkok.

Ours was Orlando - Dubai - Singapore - Bangkok on Emirates business class. We could have skipped Singapore and flown to Bangkok directly from Dubai.

Emirates business class includes a limousine from home (if you live within 50 miles of the airport) to Orlando airport and another one to your hotel at your destination. In Dubai, they get you a day room at a hotel with a brunch coupon and transportation to and back from the airport. They had a separate check-in lounge at the Dubai hotel with a concierge that called us a taxi to go to the Dubai Mall. We had bought tickets online for the Burj Khalifa, the highest building which is located at this mall.

The logistics of organizing everything was so much easier than doing it ourselves as we had originally planned by flying Lufthansa via Frankfurt.

Important to know for Bangkok airport immigration/passport control: If you are 70 or older (or have small children with you), you can skip the long line and go to a separate window.

Another option for breaking up the long flight, if you're interested is Tokyo. I flew a nonstop from ATL to Narita (long flight but better than making it even longer via a connecting flight). Then flew from Tokyo to Bangkok.

Of course I did it in coach and with no long stopover -- although a stopover would've been possible, my trip was already long enough that I could not take additional time off from work. Those "extra days" were used instead to visit Angkor Wat from Bangkok. For me, a much better use of the time. :D

We done the trip every winter for the past few years. Doing it again in Jan. 17 hour flight to Singapore this time.

We bite the bullet and fly through Narita. We try and get a direct flight to Narita so that we only have the one stop. We are in our sixties. The only way we justify it is that we stay for several months. This Jan it will be a 17 hour flight to Singapore. We done long flights in business and economy. We are OK with economy.

One thing we like about the flight to Bangkok is that most flights seem to arrive around midnight. By the time we get to the hotel we are ready to sleep. Next day we do not experience any jet lag.

I would not fly to Bangkok for a short vacation.

I could do it one go. 20 or 22 hour flights are survivable by seniors in coach. Get up and walk around the plane when you can, exercise in your seat, and walk a lot when you change planes. Drink lots of water. Try to sleep on the plane. Arrive a couple of days early in Bangkok.

I was surprised to find one way fares for under $400 from New York or Chicago to Bangkok. I would look into flying all the way around the world, because that would be ten times cooler than not flying all the way around the world.

The fares to SE Asia and Australia have been incredible. We picked up a return fare from the midwest Canada to Singapore, and return from Manila for $550. USD. Good flights, good connections. We have seen similar pricing, slightly higher, to Australia. These are the lowest prices we have paid to go to S/E Asia/Australasia in five years.

whogo's advice above is solid. This is exactly what we do. The flights from Narita to Bangkok tend to be very full.

We agree with the OP that those long flights are awful...especially for we seniors. Accordingly, we now fly business class on longer flights...especially when its from the East Coast to Asia or downunder. Some of the cruise lines have some pretty decent prices on business class. Also consider that Asia has some of the best airlines...especially when it comes to business class.

Hank

Ours was Orlando - Dubai - Singapore - Bangkok on Emirates business class. We could have skipped Singapore and flown to Bangkok directly from Dubai.

Emirates business class includes a limousine from home (if you live within 50 miles of the airport) to Orlando airport and another one to your hotel at your destination. In Dubai, they get you a day room at a hotel with a brunch coupon and transportation to and back from the airport. They had a separate check-in lounge at the Dubai hotel with a concierge that called us a taxi to go to the Dubai Mall. We had bought tickets online for the Burj Khalifa, the highest building which is located at this mall.

The logistics of organizing everything was so much easier than doing it ourselves as we had originally planned by flying Lufthansa via Frankfurt.

Important to know for Bangkok airport immigration/passport control: If you are 70 or older (or have small children with you), you can skip the long line and go to a separate window.

Thank you for the great information and insights. It is appreciated.

Another option for breaking up the long flight, if you're interested is Tokyo. I flew a nonstop from ATL to Narita (long flight but better than making it even longer via a connecting flight). Then flew from Tokyo to Bangkok.

Of course I did it in coach and with no long stopover -- although a stopover would've been possible, my trip was already long enough that I could not take additional time off from work. Those "extra days" were used instead to visit Angkor Wat from Bangkok. For me, a much better use of the time. :D

We did this also, Dulles to Narita to Bangkok ... United Economy Plus, short layover in Tokyo ... we were in our early sixties, both of us with arthritis-related issues, some other fairly minor health issues ... Mr Chew is very tall ... and we managed this trip just fine. But it was long and tiring.

We spent two nights in Bangkok before our cruise ... would love to go back and see some more of Thailand. We are both actually in better shape & health than we were two years ago ... although Mr Chew is still very tall.

Dallas - Dubai on Emirates was 15 hours. The A320 business product is excellent as is the airport. The entire second floor is devoted to first and business class passengers. I believe they have some non stops from other East Coast cities. The Dubai- Bangkok leg was another 6 hours. I’m fairly certain going that way is faster than going through East Asia.

One caveat would be that I would NOT recommend the 777 business class product on Emirates. Seats are not lay flat. I would only go if they are using the a320.

You might also find a good connection on Qatar through Abu Dabai.