Vantage trip "Coastal Norway"

H2Otstr

Has anyone taken this trip recently? If so, what did you think of it? Was there enough time on the excursions? How was the food? Was it mainly fish dishes or were other options available?

Any information provided would be appreciated.

So you could book with Hurtigruten directly unless Vantage sells a package with flight, hotel, guide and land excursions. Then it is more convenient for people who don't want to plan everything themselves.

I noticed on our last Norway cruise that Hurtigruten ships always have piers in better locations and when there is only one pier, it is theirs.

So you could book with Hurtigruten directly unless Vantage sells a package with flight, hotel, guide and land excursions. Then it is more convenient for people who don't want to plan everything themselves.

I noticed on our last Norway cruise that Hurtigruten ships always have piers in better locations and when there is only one pier, it is theirs.

Yes, Vantage's trip is a total package. The rooms on the ship look quite small and the price that Vantage charges is quite high. But everything is pretty much included.

I’ve taken the Hurtigruten coastal cruise. The food variety was excellent, especially if you like salmon. Huge buffets at breakfast and lunch. The evening meal is a set menu, no choices. The evening’s menu is posted at lunch so you’ll know what is coming. I know that when I was on a couple of years ago, if you didn’t like the menu , it was possible to get something different by asking at lunch time. I didn’t do it, and just skipped the things I didn’t like, ie reindeer. One night was lamb, one night reindeer, duck I think...oddly, there were absolutely no pastries of any sort at breakfast. This spring I took a Hurtigruten expedition cruise, from Norway to Iceland. Only 160 passengers, so buffet was smaller, and unfortunately for me, included breakfast pastries...I gained 5 pounds.

• 3 weeks later...

Did "Coastal Norway" with Vantage with a group of friends in October 2016. It was a fantastic trip and great to have a Program Manager in addition to the Hurtigruten Expedition Staff. Although not on the formal agenda, our Program Manager offered a walking tour in any city where we were docked for more than about 15 minutes and also provided additional lectures while we were cruising. Many towns are so small that there's not much to see, but it's nice to get off the ship and stretch your legs. The walking tours were optional and you were free to explore on your own or break off of the organized tour if something caught your attention. Food was very good with lots of local specialties. Breakfast and lunch were buffet; dinner was a fixed menu. If you have food allergies or preferences, the Program Manager worked with the restaurant staff to ensure that your needs were met. October is shoulder season for northern lights and we were luckily enough to see them several nights. Happy to answer any other questions....

geminitwin, was this tour basically cruise, stop to drop people/supplies off or on and then cruise again to the next port? Or was it a cruise where the ports were the main reason to visit and tour?

How much time was normally spent in port?