Packing

Alva43

How does everyone pack light?? Im trying to pack the least amount as possible but I also like to overprepare.

I do mix n match so that slacks go with more than one top.

We wear clothes more than once.

On cruises longer than a week, which most of ours are, we use ship's laundry to wash most things.

So on 33 day cruise we only packed enough for a week.

For 4 days you can only overpack if you take stuff for 8 days! What would you pack for a long weekend in Florida? Wear long pants and a cardigan/sweater/jacket on the plane and summer clothes for Cozumel. The ship provides towels. Some ship crank up the air-conditioning inside, bring a type of wrap/pashima/cardigan that goes with all your tops.

We didn't pack light for this cruise, and as we're now packing to go home, we are realizing that we used practically everything we brought. I see no ethic in packing light, but rather see it as a necessary evil, when you can't drive to the port or fly first class.

This post may have been entered by voice recognition. Please excuse any typographical errors.

I ONLY pack what I can carry. Have been travelling alone for a number of years now and I don't like waiting at luggage carousel OR trying to maneuver a lot of luggage.

My last cruise was 4 days to Cuba in May 2017. I managed with a duffel bag and beach/tote bag. Brought 1 pair of shoes and wore the 2nd pair. Double duty with pants .... but with the weather at that time of year and Cuba location ... brought way more tops than I needed.

It’s only a four day cruise, but as I said I overprepare.

Well, we just finished a month in Europe with one carryon size suitcase and a messenger bag each. So it's certainly possible for 4 days.

You don't need to overprepare. You aren't going to Antarctica. They do have stores at your port stops if you need something unanticipated. Make a list with JUST what you absolutely need. And stick to it. Evening wear can almost always be worn more than once, barring accidents. You don't need more than a couple pairs of shoes, and you'll be wearing one of those. If you're flying, wear your bulkiest/heaviest items to save suitcase space.

I don't even try to "pack light"....what is the "upside"? To me...none! I like having options, and if I bring home unworn clothes...so what? Less to launder!

Pack what you want, within a baggage allowance, if you're flying. Otherwise...bring it all, if you want.

I make sure that I can mix and match tops and bottoms, so I can re-wear some things. Also, when I'm getting ready to pack, I divide the things I want to bring into two piles...the "must have" pile includes toiletries, medications, one swimsuit, one nightie, unders, and enough shorts/tshirts for half the length of the cruise. The "want to have" pile has everything else, like extra swimsuit, extra shorts/tshirts, evening clothes for the MDR. Then I fill my suitcase with all the must haves, and fill whatever space remains with the want to haves!

after 7 cruises I can definitely say we pack way less now than we did on that first trip......we go to enjoy our trips and not try to dress for a fashion show.......take articles around a central color scheme where you can mix match and take fewer items like jewelry and shoes.......despite going to a warm local you need a wrap./jacket for dining room and theater in case your ship is like most ships where the public space is sometimes cold........we wear outfits multiple times.......on longer trips we budget in a little laundry costs ........enjoy your trip!!!

My biggest problem is the weather. Since I’ve never been on a cruise, never been to Cozumel, and it’s in the beginning of December I’m not sure how to dress.
It's still hot there. Check the forecast on weather.com as you get closer. You definitely will not need a coat, if that is what you are thinking.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Forums mobile app

I just came back from 14 days in western Europe with a carry on bag and a messenger bag. 7 day river cruise with days built in before and after to wander on my own. I did laundry twice on the trip. One pair of jeans, one pair of black slacks, enough tops and undies for 6 days, a grey cardigan and a black cardigan, 2 scarves, 2 pairs of shoes - one worn and one packed. I also had a heavier coat and a rain jacket. So, yes, it can be done easily. I ran out of lotion and toothpaste, so I bought more at a local store. The basic toiletries are pretty universal.

Yes, I got tired of my limited wardrobe. No, I did not wear filthy clothes, nor did I ever feel out of place or under dressed.

That said, what is your travel style? Are you a drive to the airport and catch a cab directly to the ship kind of traveler? Or are you a get off the plane and take a train to a different city where you'll catch a bus to the neighborhood your rented apartment is in kind of traveler? I spend time on my own before and after a cruise wandering around and seeing as much as possible. The fact that I have to manage my own bags on trains and busses (and walking them a few blocks) means that I am limited to what I can physically lift and carry. If you don't have to worry about that, feel free to take as much as you want.

How does everyone pack light?? Im trying to pack the least amount as possible but I also like to overprepare.

It’s only a four day cruise, but as I said I overprepare.

For only four days, you should be able to fit whatever you need in a shopping bag[emoji41].

Seriously, the single most important thing, if you're flying, is to invest some $$$ in ultralight luggage and, for trips less than a week, a bag small enough to avoid checked luggage.

Once you start doing much longer cruises, you'll find that the "sweet spot" is packing for seven days and spacing your laundry days accordingly.

We tend to do longer cruises (3 weeks plus), with extended land stays pre/post cruise. Then we do laundry that includes one time a day or two after embarkation and then before debarkation (with other day added as needed for the duration.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

We both travel with international airline size carry-ons ( 20") plus a personal item. Does not matter if it is one week or two months.

The trick for us was to cut down on all the beauty and hair items (DW), shoes, and any items that we felt we would only wear once or twice. We shop for wrinkle free, travel garments and we layer them. We have no issue paying for laundry when needed. We take very few electronics.

The carry on that we will take to an week long AI next week is the same one that we will take for an upcoming Jan two month trip to SW Asia.

Remember you can wear things multiple times particularly those items in the evening.

Keith

This is truly valuable and I always remind myself of this to help pack lighter. I used to think people would notice if I wore the same thing over ... Then realized (I) they probably wouldn't, and (ii) if they did notice, it wouldn't matter.

just lay out all you think you need then take half of it away

I've heard this said before and laughed the first time I heard this.

Then I tried it. It works!

Full disclosure: after I took half of it away, I put about a quarter of that half back in ;)

I just came back from 14 days in western Europe with a carry on bag and a messenger bag. 7 day river cruise with days built in before and after to wander on my own. I did laundry twice on the trip. One pair of jeans' date=' one pair of black slacks, enough tops and undies for 6 days, a grey cardigan and a black cardigan, 2 scarves, 2 pairs of shoes - one worn and one packed. I also had a heavier coat and a rain jacket. So, yes, it can be done easily. I ran out of lotion and toothpaste, so I bought more at a local store. The basic toiletries are pretty universal.

Yes, I got tired of my limited wardrobe. No, I did not wear filthy clothes, nor did I ever feel out of place or under dressed.

That said, what is your travel style? Are you a drive to the airport and catch a cab directly to the ship kind of traveler? Or are you a get off the plane and take a train to a different city where you'll catch a bus to the neighborhood your rented apartment is in kind of traveler? I spend time on my own before and after a cruise wandering around and seeing as much as possible. The fact that I have to manage my own bags on trains and busses (and walking them a few blocks) means that I am limited to what I can physically lift and carry. If you don't have to worry about that, feel free to take as much as you want.[/quote']

We will be porting out of Galveston Texas December 7th, but we will be staying in a hotel the day before.

It sounds like you won't have to manage your bags on different modes of travel, so there's no issue with packing more. Everybody travels differently.

I keep my bags small and light because I do have to get them through train stations (and onto those trains) and onto buses by myself. And I find that the more international travel I do, the smaller my luggage gets. A big part of that is realizing how little I truly need, and that comes with experience.

It sounds like you won't have to manage your bags on different modes of travel' date=' so there's no issue with packing more. Everybody travels differently.

I keep my bags small and light because I do have to get them through train stations (and onto those trains) and onto buses by myself. And I find that the more international travel I do, the smaller my luggage gets. A big part of that is [b']realizing how little I truly need, and that comes with experience.[/b]

The bolded part is so true. Our luggage gets smaller and lighter with every trip. We saw someone trying to schlep two 28 inchers and a small duffle bag over a bridge in Venice and just shook our heads. But if that's how they want to travel.... As my favorite guidebook says, I've never come back from a vacation wishing I'd packed heavier.