My Review / Suggestions

Tahitianbigkahuna

My review will include my knowledge of 18 trips to French Polynesia and/or the Cook Islands which includes 7 cruises, 5 being on the Paul Gauguin. Some will be inclusive of many trips and some will focus on our latest trip that being the Reunion Cruise of July 26, 2017.

For you that drive into the LA basin to fly to Tahiti we’ve done this many different ways. The most affordable for us as we drive 230 miles is to park at the Fly Away next to the Van Nuys airport off Roscoe. It’s only$4 bucks per day and the R/T for the bus to LAX is around $18 bucks. So for about $90 the two of us can go for 12 days and this includes the parking and bus round trip. Fly Away drops us off right in front of the terminal. There are several Fly Away parking areas around the LA basin. If you live in the LA area you have other options such as shuttles but the price tag could be higher unless you live very close to LAX.

First let me give some detail about the air carriers. Overthe years we’ve taken 5 different carriers but I’ll focus on Air Tahiti Nui andAir France as they are the big two.

Air Tahiti Nui – Located in the Tom Bradley InternationalTerminal at LAX. If you drive, shuttle or take a bus you will be dropped off right in front of the terminal. If you’re flying into LAX and then going over to the international terminal you will proceed differently depending on the terminal you arrive at. If you arrive at terminal 1-3 you will need to go outside the terminal and take the LAX terminal bus to the international terminal. If you arrive at terminals 4 – 8 you can access the tunnel/skyway system which will allow you to stay in the secured area. This is only valuable if you’ve checked your bags straight through to Tahiti and you’ve already got your ATN boarding pass. Do an internet search for LAX / tunnel / international terminal.

ATN typically opens 4 hours prior to departure. If you get there 3 ½ hours prior to departure there will be a long line ;) They will weigh your bags and if over by a few pounds typically no big deal but this isn’t the case on the return so be warned. If you’re going economy we prefer the side seats as the AirBus 340’s have a configuration of 2-4-2. This will change when they get their new Boeing 787’s. Most take the red-eye which is what we prefer.You will get a light meal about 45 minutes after takeoff and breakfast about 90 minutes before landing. Nothing fancy but it is edible. Soft drinks, juice,beer, wine and water are included … as much as you want. ATN has 5 planes, four have been re-furbished, and one has not. You have no way of telling which plane you will end up with, it’s a roll of the dice. We’ve been cold on the flights and hot on the flights and a few times just right, again it is a roll of the dice. Flight attendants are French Polynesian and are very nice, they change into local garb after the takeoff which adds to the charm, your heading to paradise. Downside for some is the late night return flight leaving FAAA international around midnight. Some head for the airport once the Paul Gauguin arrives back on Tahiti, usually around 7:30 pm. This makes it possible to get off board and catch the late flight.

Air France – Located in terminal 2. Air France opens 4 hours prior to departure. Currently using Boeing 777’s and on our last flight December 2015 was a 2-3-2 configuration. The 777 is a quiet plane and most are newer than the 340’s that ATN fly’s. Flight attendants are French and charming. Same as ATN in the meal department, a petite meal after takeoff followed by breakfast 90 minutes before landing. Same free drinks. IMO the food was superior on Air France. A red eye flight with an early am landing. Down side can be the return as it is early morning, about an 8:00 am flight. This means getting up at 4:00 am on the Paul Gauguin unless you’re spending a few extradays. Typically, not always, AF is a tad less money if you’re booking your ownairfare.

If you’re having Paul Gauguin book your flight as a package you may not be able to pick the carrier unless you pay for a deviation. If you’re on your first Paul Gauguin cruise I recommend purchasing all-inclusive, it takes the guess work out of it and PG is a well-oiled machine. As we’ve taken so many trips to French Polynesia we typically book some things on our own. I’ll talk about that later. Bottom line: we prefer Air France but that may change once ATN has their new aircraft … some coming as early as late summer 2018.

Arriving at Faaa international airport – No matter what airline you arrive on you will be taken through customs which can take 30 – 60 minutes depending on where you were sitting in the aircraft. As you arrive at customs there will be a small Tahitian greeting party play music and a dancer or two, always sets the tone for your visit to paradise … I love the ambience, gets me all excited. As you get through customs you will grab your bags and proceed through the agriculture check but I must say in my 18 trips we’ve never been stopped and checked. Once out the door you will be in the open terminal where you will either grab a taxi, have ground transportation arranged or you will rent a car. A Paul Gauguin representative will be there to great all and check your name off the list. They will assist you in getting to the right person for pre-arranged transportation or point you to the taxi area. If you’re renting a car go to your right and proceed about 100 feet where you will find the desk for all the major car rental places. Past the car rental desk is the bank ATM.

The next part will include pre-cruise suggestions and how to get the most out of your time spent on Tahiti prior to boarding. Then suggestions after you board but prior to the ship departing. I’ll add this over the next few days.

Edited by Tahitianbigkahuna

Well perhaps they relocated during some construction, but as I said, we were at Tom Bradley on AF in 2014. That's the trouble with "definitive" guides--things change.

Priddscat, I guess we're on the same flight. LAX is like a long horseshoe or U shape, with Tom Bradley right at the centre of the "U". You can walk from terminal to terminal outside on a sidewalk, or I presume there are shuttles.

We were in Tom Bradley in July.

Maybe it is not their final home as there is no AF lounge.we had to use the KAL lounge.

I don't think Tom Bradley has separate lounges for lots of airlines. I remember in 2008 when we flew ATN Business, we were in some joint Asian airline lounge, like JAL or some such. Very nice, it was. Looking forward to the KAL lounge next week!

I'l be taking my first PG cruise in mid-November, and had everything arranged through a travel agent. I did purchase the cruise package as all-inclusive and am booked on ATN. I did modify the initial package offered to me, as I was originally scheduled to arrive at 10:00 pm on the day of the cruise and I absolutely did not want to start my vacation at such a hectic pace. Instead, I added a day on the front end of my vacation and will arrive at about dawn on the day before the cruise departs. Since this is my first time in French Polynesia, I also opted for a motu overwater bungalow at the IC Tahiti. I even have early check in, which means I'll start my first visit to French Polynesia with a nice luxury room and will have time to rest and relax prior to the cruise. My only concern is that, while I've flown many red-eye flights over the years, I do find it very difficult to sleep on the plane. That means I'll possibly have a sluggish start to my visit. I'm not sweating it though, as I think the excitement will overwhelm me anyway once I arrive. I'll just plan on having a good night's sleep on my arrival day and be well rested for embarkation day.

I do have a question about arrival time at LAX though. I live about 90 minutes northwest of LAX and routinely take a shuttle to and from. I believe my flight leaves at 11:00 pm (ish). Would it be wise to arrive no later than 8:00 pm, or is that a bit early?

I'l be taking my first PG cruise in mid-November, and had everything arranged through a travel agent. I did purchase the cruise package as all-inclusive and am booked on ATN. I did modify the initial package offered to me, as I was originally scheduled to arrive at 10:00 pm on the day of the cruise and I absolutely did not want to start my vacation at such a hectic pace. Instead, I added a day on the front end of my vacation and will arrive at about dawn on the day before the cruise departs. Since this is my first time in French Polynesia, I also opted for a motu overwater bungalow at the IC Tahiti. I even have early check in, which means I'll start my first visit to French Polynesia with a nice luxury room and will have time to rest and relax prior to the cruise. My only concern is that, while I've flown many red-eye flights over the years, I do find it very difficult to sleep on the plane. That means I'll possibly have a sluggish start to my visit. I'm not sweating it though, as I think the excitement will overwhelm me anyway once I arrive. I'll just plan on having a good night's sleep on my arrival day and be well rested for embarkation day.

I do have a question about arrival time at LAX though. I live about 90 minutes northwest of LAX and routinely take a shuttle to and from. I believe my flight leaves at 11:00 pm (ish). Would it be wise to arrive no later than 8:00 pm, or is that a bit early?

I've done both the Ventura Air-porter and the Santa Barbara AirBus. Nice way to go but as we come from the Central Coast it is considerably less for us to do what we do. However, back to the question ... by the time you get through check-in and then security it will be around 9:30. The new TBIT is very nice once you clear security. Nice places to enjoy a glass of wine or a petite meal. I'm a people watcher so hanging for a few hours isn't a big deal to me.

Review continued -

Your now on Tahiti and frankly I recommend a few days to get on Tahitian time prior to boarding. If it's only going to be a day or two I would stay on Tahiti. If your going to hang for 3 or more days get off Tahiti and head for an outer island.

If your wanting to hang for 3 or more days but still want to be careful of expenses go to Moorea. Moorea is an easy island to love, real easy. So accessible and an inexpensive ferry ride. Yes I recommend the ferry over a plane ride. Less money, the experience and how accessible the ferry is to the Paul Gauguin on your return to Tahiti. My first trip to FP in 1999 was for our honeymoon and we went to Moorea. We arrived early morning and took an early ferry over to Moorea. I remember vividly that first trip across the Sea of the Moon to Moorea. The jagged peaks, the perfect morning light ... I halfway expected King Kong to show himself around one of the many jagged peaks on Moorea ... still to this day it is one of my fondest memories ... so yes, take the ferry. Moorea is less expensive than Bora Bora for a similar kind of accommodation.

Once on Moorea you must decide do you want arranged transportation to my accommodations or rent a car. I like freedom so I rent a car and the easiest place one to arrive on Moorea via ferry is Avis which is right across the street. Avis is typically a bit more than Albert's but the cars are typically better/newer. I would recommend booking through Avis on-line and not directly from Pacificar which is the Avis representative on Tahiti and Moorea. The price typically is lower when you book directly from Avis.

I've stayed at all four of the major resorts on Moorea. I love them all but for different reasons ....

Hilton Moorea - Best for snorkeling, very nice property and OWB. The pool area is second best IMO. Beach is nice but a bit smaller than 2 of the other resorts. There are a few places to eat within walking distance though the food is very good ... but expensive on the resort with the exception of the crepe bar out over the water. The Crepe bar is a fun place in the evening. We usually split an entree and then a desert, have cokes and we are out of there for around $40 USD. Across the street is a great option for breakfast and lunch. When you leave the Hilton go to your right and almost immediately you will see Lilikoi. (see attachment for eating suggesions around the Hilton).

Sofitel - This is where we spent our honeymoon. Love this property ... who wouldn't. Beautiful view of Tahiti, best beach area of the major four, nice rooms, expansive property, good snorkeling and next to a long public beach for walks. The downside is the isolated location but again if you have a rental car no big deal, if not you are somewhat limited on where to eat though the more expensive eateries around the island will usually come and pick you up at no cost. Tpool area is no big deal but then again your have this massive 'pool' right in front of the resort. This is the most 'French' of the major four resorts.

Manava Resort - The location is great if you want to walk to eats and shopping but the water isn't near as nice here as it is at some of the other resorts. Pool area is average and I always feel the resort is a bit 'tight' with not as many wide open areas to just enjoy. Typically this resort has the best prices of the big four and another plus would be ... again IMO, the nicest resot employees.

Intercontinental Moorea - This is an expeansive property, easy to find your little piece of paradise all to yourself. Rooms are very nice and the inner lagoon is great for non-swimmers or those that don't feel real comfortable in the water. Lots of hammocks around to take a nap in. This is the home of the Dolphin Quest and the Turtle Rescue, both big hits especially for kids. Talking about kids thisd resort is the best if you have kids in tow, so many things to do. The pool area is expansive with two pools one being idea for young kids. The beach area is average. Easy access to the motus from here, they have a shuttle that will take you but a small charge. Though the snorkeling isn't the best the area around the motus is good. You can walk to Petite Village from the IC and last time I was there a small market across the street. The food at the resort is good but as they say at most places in FP ... expensive. Last tip ... IC only has 5 completely OWB's. They have many that are partly over water. The five that are completely over water are in the middle of the resort.

Based on my own preferences my personal choices are in this order: Hilton, Sofitel, IC and Manava. Your favorite may be different than mine but I love to snorkel, thus the Hilton.

Sunday I'll discuss things to do around Moorea and add a few less expensive places to stay ... then next week I'll dive into the other islands you may wish to hang for a few days prior to you cruise.

Cheap eats close to the Moorea Hilton.pdf

No really pertaining to this thread but I have searched everywhere I can think of with no avail so hopefully someone here can answer my question. If I'm coming in at terminal 2 transferring to terminal B by bus in LAX do I have to go through security again? Also is it true that the international terminal does not have preapproved TSA lines? Thanks!

No really pertaining to this thread but I have searched everywhere I can think of with no avail so hopefully someone here can answer my question. If I'm coming in at terminal 2 transferring to terminal B by bus in LAX do I have to go through security again? Also is it true that the international terminal does not have preapproved TSA lines? Thanks!

Yes you will need to go through security again :(

Sorry for the delay .... it's wedding season and Zelle and I are shooting one or two weddings every week.

Ok, lets talk about Moorea. Zelle and I enjoyed our honeymoon in 1999 at the Sofitel Moorea. Zelle had previously been to FP 3 times so when I asked her to marry me I said I would make sure we went to FP every year ... now 18 trips together ... 21 trips for Zelle.

heading%20from%20moorea%20to%20tahiti%20%281%20of%201%29-XL.jpg

On our honeymoon we were on the budget plan. Back in the day you could take two 70 lb suitcases. We shared one suitcase for clothes and the other we filled with food. I had done my homework and designed our food around things that were inexpensive in FP. #1 inexpensive food in FP is the fruit and coconuts ... followed by the subsidized baguette. For 50 cents USD you can buy a 2 foot long fresh baguette. Give me some French butter along with some cheese and I'll enjoy lunch thank you.

The Sofitel upgraded us for free as it was our honeymoon so we had a lagoon front room and all the food we could possibly eat. We even got a few freebie excursions as Zelle knew some of the ladies at the desk from previous trips. One night we went over to the old Bali Hai and it was a great fun night, we didn't know at the time but shortly thereafter the Bali Hai closed and with it the end of an era as the storied Bali Hai Boys were the wild bunch and many don't know created the first OWB's. The Pearl Beach Chain bought the property and designed a new Resort .... it is now owned by Manava Resorts. For years to come we would stop at Club Bali Hai in Cook's Bay and enjoy the story telling from Muk, the last surviving Bali Hai Boy. When driving around Moorea stop by the Bali Hai Club and read the stories on the wall, it is an education into the last 55 years on Moorea and the famed Bali Hai Boys era. If you take Hiro's lagoon tour know he is the son of one of the Bali Hai Boys, he can tell you some stories for sure.

Sofitel%20honeymoon%20room-XL.jpg

Sorry, I got taken back a few decades and enjoyed the memories ....

Sofitel%20Moorea%20-%20Zelle%20and%20I%20%281%20of%201%29-XL.jpg

Next to the Sofitel is the large public beach known as Temae ... this is Emdee's favorite hang out and rightfully so. A half mile of un-spoiled beach with good snorkeling and an incredible view of Tahiti. If you are renting a car Temae is a must stop. You access the beach from a small road off the main road, just north of the lookout above the Sofitel.

matira%20beach%20%281%20of%201%29-XL.jpg

Moving along we enjoy stopping at Carmelines in the main community of Maharepa. Just yummy stuff and of course who makes better pasteries than the French, well worth the stop.

Carmelines.jpg

While we are talking about Maharepa let me say a few things. This is a good shopping area and if the PG anchors in Cook's Bay you are within walking distance but make sure you bring water as it can be hot. One of our favorite jewlery places for black pearls intergated into a work of art can be found at Eva's Pearls. Eva is an American who came to Moorea many years ago and married a local thus stayed on the island. She is an accomplished jewler and creates some incredible stuff ... and priced fairly. Eva has won many awards for her jewlery.

%5B000786%5D-XL.jpg

Ok, time to work on the wedding pictures .... later this week I'll discuss Cook's Bay and the drive up to the Belvedre ....

Got a little time so lets continue ....

The tender drop off location in Cook's Bay is located next to Hotel Keveka. Remember the anchoring location can be in either bay but they are just about finished with this tender drop off location so I would assume there will be times the PG anchors in Cook's Bay.

From the drop off location there are several areas that are within walking distance. As mentioned before you can walk into the main community Maharepa. It's about a mile walk into the central area of Maharepa. There you will find all sorts of shopping, pearl shops, banks and eateries. When you leave the tender area go to your left on the main road.

If you turn to your right there are some other places of interest. Allo Pizza is well know for good pizza.

Further down the road you will will come to a super market on the mountain side of the road. Continue down and you will come to Club Bali Hai Club Bali Hai where you can read the stories on the wall of the famed Bali Hai Boys as well as sitting on the deck of the Blue Pineapple cafe where the view of Bali Hai is one to remember as well as taking a nice selfie.

Continuing to the end of Cook's Bay there are a few more markets and finally Snack Rotui where the locals in Pao Pao (the community) like to hang out for lunch. I've eaten here, inexpensive and decent plus you get to hang with locals and ask questions.

From the tender drop off location to Snack Rotui it's about 1.5 miles. Remember to bring water with you. If you continue you will come to Saint Joseph's, a Catholic church which on Sunday's has incredible singing in their native language. We've done this on a Sunday ... loved it!

Continuing along the road on the mountain side you will come to the cultural center. May not be anyone there when you caome by but neverless you can walk around a bit. This facility was used during the exchange of ideas when Disney was going to release Moana in the Moari language.

All the way around Cook's Bay there are beautiful views and of course get photo opportunities including snapping a picture of the Paul Gauguin.

Final%20%20%281%20of%202%29-XL.jpg

Continuing on the west side of Cook's Bay you will come to UC Berkely's 'Gump Station' which is an study area for college students specializing in marine life. Not generally open to the public but if you stick your head in there they will usually answer questions.

If you've gone this far you might as well go to the joice factory. As you continue along the road from the Gump Station you will come across the signs leading you to the Juice Factory.

Juice%20factory.jpg

More coming soon ....

So lets continue ....

As you are now somewhere between the two bays the Hilton Resort will be next on the list. We've stayed here and for the major four resorts on Moorea this is our favorite. The snorkeling is superb, actually the best IMO of the big four.

IMG_3395-XL.jpg

The OWB's are very nice and you just slip into the water and enjoy.

Here is a layout of the Hilton Moorea ...

Hilton%20Moorea-X2.jpg

The sunsets are just incredible from the Hilton Moorea ....

Moorea%202-XL.jpg

Though the beach area isn't expansive it is nice and there are shaded areas ....

When you are assigned a room at the Hilton Moorea make sure it isn't on the east side as the property next door did have some barking dogs last time we were there.

The crepe bar over the water is a great inexpensive place to enjoy dinner and other guest. We share teo crepes, usually a main dish and a desert plus two soft drinks, was about $40 USD last time we were there.

You do have other choices for eating .... The closest and fun place to relax is Lilikoi which is just across the street and slightly to the right when you leave the Hilton.

IMG_3391-XL.jpg

Owned by a nice French lady she has good food at a fair price. Primarily a place for breakfast and lunch, she will bag you a picnic if you ask. There is free wifi when you eat here.

IMG_3393-XL.jpg

Here is a picture of the menu .... this was a few years ago so things may have changed a bit but you will get an idea of what to expect.

IMG_3392-XL.jpg

More to come ....

Down the road and to the right from the Hilton on the mountain side there is a local hangout for dinner. You can also do take out here. They serve Chinese food and it is very good and plentiful plus a fair price.

IMG_3404-XL.jpg

We split a main entree and had more than enough.

chicken%20chow%20mean%20from%20Snack%20Matairii.jpg

This place is only open for dinner starting around 6 pm.

There is a pizza/burger joint if you go to your left when you leave the Hilton. Cheap eats but we've never eaten here before.

IMG_3398-XL.jpg

IMG_3397-XL.jpg

IMG_3396-X2.jpg

More to come .... next up will be Opunohu Bay and the drive up to the Belvedre.

This is such a wonderful thread and I have been thoroughly enjoying all your hints and great information. Can't wait till the next chapter. I am keeping all your info for future reference as it's invaluable, thank you. Wendy and David

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

This is such a wonderful thread and I have been thoroughly enjoying all your hints and great information. Can't wait till the next chapter. I am keeping all your info for future reference as it's invaluable, thank you. Wendy and David

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Thanks Wendy and David ...

Thread is getting very little action ... so ..... I'll go enjoy taking some local pictures as I did yesterday. I took around 500 pictures on this last trip to FP/Cook's and only shared a handful so far but for now I think I'll relax and enjoy doing some other things. Maybe after the new year I'll start up again as I plan for another trip to paradise. If anyone wants some help with questions just contact me. Again thanks for the kind words.

tahitianbigkahuna@gmail.com

Ah what the heck, have a little extra time today ...

Heading west from the Hilton Moorea you will come by a public beach. Pretty beach with lots of shade and some decent snorkeling.

beach2%20%281%20of%201%29-XL.jpg

Continue past the public beach and you will be entering Opunohu Bay which of late has been the primary anchoring location for the Paul Gauguin. All along Opunohu Bay are wonderful places to capture beautiful pictures of the landscape as well as the Paul Gauguin.

ship%20in%20Cooks%20bay%20%286%20of%207%29-XL.jpg

arriving%20in%20Moorea2%20%281%20of%201%29-XL.jpg

At the very end of Opunohu Bay is the turnoff for the Belvedere Lookout, Ag School and some wonderful cultural sites. As you drive you will come to some pastures with magnificant peaks and before you go up the hilly part there are usually a few horses along the road. We usually bring an apple or two from the ship and give them a treat ...

More%20around%20Moorea%20%281%20of%204%29-XL.jpg

Continue up the road ... it will get very narrow so make sure you stay on the correct side of the road. Next stop will be the Ag School .... stop here for some locally made ice-cream. My favorite is the pineapple but they are all good.

More%20around%20Moorea%20%282%20of%204%29-XL.jpg

Across the narrow road is a grove of bamboo, a great photo opportunity.

New%20FP%20stuff%20%283%20of%2021%29.jpg

After your refreshments continue up the narrow road. Along the way you will come across some cultural sites which are worth a look.