Half Moon Cay

BuckeyeCruiser79

Is it worth bringing my snorkel equipment on shore?

I have snorkeled just about every place I go. There have been many places that people say not to bring any snorkeling equipment because...there's nothing there, it's a sandy bottom...and so on. However, I ALWAYS at least bring my mask and snorkel. You just never know what you might see and I have always managed to see something interesting. I have to admit that most of the times I bring just the mask and snorkel, I manage to see something that I have never seen anywhere else snorkeling before. For that reason alone, it's worth it to me.

There are some things to be seen there. No, it's not amazing and it's not a reef. But, things to see. If you click on my signature link for the HMC, you'll find my very thorough review of the place and we snorkeled along the wall there and you'll find pictures of what we seen there. The great thing about this area is that you can pretty much stand up in all of the areas you snorkel. So absolutely no need for fins or full gear. Just grab a mask/snorkel and go. :) (I think it adds to the experience and passes the time doing something other than sitting on the beach, but that's JMO).

• 2 weeks later...

HAL will not tell you this, but the local ladies who run the straw market at HMC only take cash. I felt horrible for them when we were just there. In the 10 - 15 minutes I was shopping there at least a dozen sales were lost because people off the ship only had their cruise card with them. HAL had told everyone you can use your cruise card for everything on the island. These locals ride a boat 1 and 1/2 hour each way every day from Eleuthera to work here and their only revenue is from sales.

Also, I primarily use Princess. Princess cay is on Eleuthera and I can buy Kalik and Sands (local Bahamian beers) at Princess Cay. HAL should contract with local Bahamian breweries to purchase and sell Kalik or Sands on HMC. I'm on a beach in the Bahamas, if I wanted Amstel light, I'd stay on the ship or go to Holland.

HAL will not tell you this, but the local ladies who run the straw market at HMC only take cash. I felt horrible for them when we were just there. In the 10 - 15 minutes I was shopping there at least a dozen sales were lost because people off the ship only had their cruise card with them. HAL had told everyone you can use your cruise card for everything on the island. These locals ride a boat 1 and 1/2 hour each way every day from Eleuthera to work here and their only revenue is from sales.

I have been to HMC a couple of times and have always taken some cash with me (like I do at any port). I was aware of the market and that my cruise card would not work for purchases there. Just like I am aware that people that have the beverage packages cannot use it on HMC, only on the ship.

Edited by Boytjie

Where is this market located and are the things locally made or is it just souvenir stuff like you can get in stores?

It is off to the right as you enter the square coming from the tender pier. Not sure if it is locally made or not, but IMO it is typical "tourista" stuff. We have always been aware that cash is required for the market, I am positive it is mentioned on the Port facts sheet delivered to your cabin the night before stopping there.

It is off to the right as you enter the square coming from the tender pier. Not sure if it is locally made or not, but IMO it is typical "tourista" stuff. We have always been aware that cash is required for the market, I am positive it is mentioned on the Port facts sheet delivered to your cabin the night before stopping there.

We were there on Nov. 23 ...We never received a Port Facts page for HMC ...Only received the "On location" for HMC...Have just checked the "On Location" brochure carefully for HMC..

No where in the brochure does it even mention the market & no where does it state that you must pay cash to purchase things there.. Don't believe HAL even sponsors the craft market & IMO they are not under any obligation to inform Psgrs. that cash is required.. You can use your cruise card for everything HAL sponsors on the Island.

We were just there on November 29th--Carnival Glory.

One thing I wanted to mention was that we had a cabana (#7)---the waiters walking up and down the beach were not taking orders and bringing your drinks---they were too intent on walking up and down the beach with their buckets of beer and selling those to whomever they could find that wanted beers--primarily Bud Lights.

Luckily it was a short walk for us to the bar since we were not drinking beers.

Cabana #7 was a great spot--busy but not excessive--close to the dining area, the bar, and the restrooms--what else could you ask for?

And yes--we are looking to go back to HMC next year--we love it that much!

We were just there on November 29th--Carnival Glory.

One thing I wanted to mention was that we had a cabana (#7)---the waiters walking up and down the beach were not taking orders and bringing your drinks---they were too intent on walking up and down the beach with their buckets of beer and selling those to whomever they could find that wanted beers--primarily Bud Lights.

Luckily it was a short walk for us to the bar since we were not drinking beers.

Cabana #7 was a great spot--busy but not excessive--close to the dining area, the bar, and the restrooms--what else could you ask for?

And yes--we are looking to go back to HMC next year--we love it that much!

Would you say renting a cabana is the way to go? I'm thinking of doing this but not sure if it's worth it. What did you think? We are going in June

"Worth it" is such a personal decision. If you are going to miss a mortgage payment, probably not. If you can't handle a lot of sun, worth it.

It is a luxury, no doubt. It is up to you if you can afford it and what it is "worth".

Well that's dumb if I asked if I can't pay my mortgage.

Obviously that's not why I asked. And since you didn't rent one I doubt you'd know? I was asking the other poster for their thoughts not smart responses like yours.

Well that's dumb if I asked if I can't pay my mortgage.

Obviously that's not why I asked. And since you didn't rent one I doubt you'd know? I was asking the other poster for their thoughts not smart responses like yours.

On the contrary, we have had cabanas, with butler upgrades (available only on HAL) 8 times, and have two (separate stops on a B2B)booked on our next cruise. Obviously we feel that is worth it. But that doesn't decide for you if it is worth it. Only you can make that decision

Edited by CruiserBruce

Does anyone know if on HMC, if you do the horseback riding excursion, is there somewhere to lock up your stuff while doing the excursion? Or should we plan on having to go back to the ship to get our belongings after our excursion? Thank you.

Edited by Beeslilmama

I don't know if this will help, but we have never had any problems with leaving our belongings on chairs when we walk around or get into the ocean. Everyone seems to be involved in their own enjoyment. Hope this helps a bit.

We were at Half Moon Cay for the first time a couple of weeks ago. It was beautiful and very relaxing. The color of the water is amazing.

If you want shade, just walk down the beach away from the crowd and there are chairs under trees. That's what we did.

The BBQ was just ok, and doesn't have very long hours. They were running out of stuff with one half hour left. Very strange looking 'ribs'. But, we sure weren't lacking for food anyway after 11 days!

I did bring my snorkel mask and snorkeled over near the causeway rocks. It was ok, some fish, not many. But I still enjoyed it.

There are quite a few things to do and see; we just preferred to relax on the beach and do a little mild swimming and walking rather than an excursion, bars, or whatever.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
Are there drink stations set up anywhere for water, iced tea, lemonade? I'm assuming the soda cards don't work there either.

I believe the tea, lemonade and water are only available during lunch time. Outside of lunchtime, you can get drinks at a bar, but the drink stations are shut down. I don't know if you can get ice water for free at other times, but I didn't see any water dispensers or drinking fountains.