Check In Time Questions for Galveston.

Mallutts

We are leaving on the 4th out of Galveston and Carnival sent a letter to expect traffic and longer commute times due to a bike rally there that week. We have a current check in time at 1:30-2:00. The rally is pretty close to the Lot A parking we have reserved. If we leave Houston early and get to the terminal way before 1:30 would we be able to still drop our bags off at the porter, park the car, take the shuttle back to the terminal, and then go walk to Fisherman's Wharf or Harbor House and wait for 1:30? Will they let you check bags before your check-in time? Google Maps shows it's a short 5 minute walk from the terminal to these places, but it's a 18 minute walk from Lot A, so we'd still need to take the shuttle to the actual terminal from our car. The earliest available check in time is 12:30-1:00. There is supposed to be a concert starting at noon for the rally so wondering if we should keep 1:30 or change to 12:30 or possibly later, or if anyone has any other trick or tip that would be helpful let me know. Thanks.

If that rally is as big as being advertised it could make for an interesting trip! The website for that event is lonestarrally.com. I would expect major delays. You might click the contact link on that site and get their opinion. Hope it works out ok for you!

If that rally is as big as being advertised it could make for an interesting trip! The website for that event is lonestarrally.com. I would expect major delays. You might click the contact link on that site and get their opinion. Hope it works out ok for you!

I've been looking at the event maps and they are right by the cruise terminal. :/ I hope to leave Houston at 10:30 am to be safe for 1:30 check in, but if we get there super early I didn't want to just be sitting in my car for hours until our check in time. I guess we could check out the bike rally! ;p

• 2 weeks later...

The road closures are listed on the City of Galveston website. We have boarded or disembarked during the Bike Rally weekends and Dickens on the Strand in early December. There has always been a well marked route to get to and from the cruise lots and the terminal and back to I 45. The only thing we encountered was heavy traffic on I-45 across the causeway.

Street Closures:

Lone Star Rally festivities will be concentrated in Galveston’s historic downtown and Seawall Boulevard.

• Seawall Boulevard will be subject to traffic closures from 19th Street to 25th Street, starting Wednesday, November 1st at 9 AM. Eastbound traffic will remain open during the Rally dates to both vehicles and motorcycles. Westbound traffic will be routed north down 19th Street to Avenue O, west to 25th Street, and south to Seawall Boulevard.
  • Downtown will have multiple event area road closures that will all begin the morning of Tuesday October 31st. Strand will be closed to east bound motorcycle traffic only from 18thStreet to 25th Street. Mechanic will be closed for motorcycle parking from 25th Street to 18thStreet. 24th Street, 23rd Street, 22nd Street, 21st Street, and 20th Street will be closed from Market to Harborside for vendors. All areas will reopen on the evening of Sunday, November 5th.