Seeing Polynesian culture center shows, with cruise leaving at 11 pm

Cccgina1

First off, my apologies if this has been asked before, I didn't see a way to search.

I would like to go to the Polynesian culture center on my carnival cruise next year. I want to see all the shows, like Ha, breath of life. That gets out at 9. The ship leaves at 11 and I know it's an hour drive. I was going to rent a car, but I still think it might be kinda close because I have no idea what traffic is like. This would be a Friday night. I don't want to risk missing the boat, obviously. Should I give it up and find another adventure? Or just go with the cruise tour and not see the big shows?

Thanks!

We're going on Carnival Splendor in April 2019. Growing up watching the 'Brady Bunch' really enticed my wife and I to go to a Luau while on Maui. The most popular is OLL which is around the volcano. There are actually several on the west side of Maui. But, as others have said, traffic is an issue...always, and we really don't want to chance it. Plus, we watched many YT videos from a lot of these places and, to be honest, they are far from traditional. All are kinda tacky and very touristy.

We are going to find other things to do.

We're going on Carnival Splendor in April 2019. Growing up watching the 'Brady Bunch' really enticed my wife and I to go to a Luau while on Maui. The most popular is OLL which is around the volcano. There are actually several on the west side of Maui. But, as others have said, traffic is an issue...always, and we really don't want to chance it. Plus, we watched many YT videos from a lot of these places and, to be honest, they are far from traditional. All are kinda tacky and very touristy.

We are going to find other things to do.

Just curious what you mean when you say "OLL which is around the volcano"? If you mean Haleakala, it is at the other end of the island from Lahaina.

Since it sounds like you have done your homework on this, we would love to know if you have been able to find any luaus that are traditional and not "kinda tacky and very touristy"?

Just curious what you mean when you say "OLL which is around the volcano"? If you mean Haleakala, it is at the other end of the island from Lahaina.

Since it sounds like you have done your homework on this, we would love to know if you have been able to find any luaus that are traditional and not "kinda tacky and very touristy"?

Old Lahaina Luau

1251 Front St, Lahaina, HI 96761

Unfortunately, we haven't found anything that doesn't look tacky. We'd be interested if there are other options in Maui that might be more authentic?

Carnival has a luau excursion offered for Maui, but it is at the Hyatt Recency Maui Resort and Spa. Most of what we've seen online is very crowded, the food is so-so, the entertainment hit and miss.

I guess that is to be expected when you deal in quantity and not quality.

Old Lahaina Luau

1251 Front St, Lahaina, HI 96761

Unfortunately, we haven't found anything that doesn't look tacky. We'd be interested if there are other options in Maui that might be more authentic?

Carnival has a luau excursion offered for Maui, but it is at the Hyatt Recency Maui Resort and Spa. Most of what we've seen online is very crowded, the food is so-so, the entertainment hit and miss.

I guess that is to be expected when you deal in quantity and not quality.

Thanks for the address, but we are well familiar with Old Lahaina Luau. We mentioned what we did about OLL just to note that it is not around a volcano.

We have been to "Drums of the Pacific" at the Hyatt but it is (as obviously are so many luau venues), geared for tourists. As you get closer to your arrival date, keep watch in our local media (via computer) to find halau (hula) performances locally. You can get "luau food" many places, but a good halau event is harder to find but well worth the effort to seek out.

First off, my apologies if this has been asked before, I didn't see a way to search.

I would like to go to the Polynesian culture center on my carnival cruise next year. I want to see all the shows, like Ha, breath of life. That gets out at 9. The ship leaves at 11 and I know it's an hour drive. I was going to rent a car, but I still think it might be kinda close because I have no idea what traffic is like. This would be a Friday night. I don't want to risk missing the boat, obviously. Should I give it up and find another adventure? Or just go with the cruise tour and not see the big shows?

Thanks!

"kinda close?" Honolulu's cross town traffic can often approach L.A. commute standards.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Thanks for the address, but we are well familiar with Old Lahaina Luau. We mentioned what we did about OLL just to note that it is not around a volcano.

We have been to "Drums of the Pacific" at the Hyatt but it is (as obviously are so many luau venues), geared for tourists. As you get closer to your arrival date, keep watch in our local media (via computer) to find halau (hula) performances locally. You can get "luau food" many places, but a good halau event is harder to find but well worth the effort to seek out.

Thanks! I know there is something you have to drive around from the port to OLL. I thought it was a dormant Volcano, but looks like West Maui Forest Reserve and Puu KuKui.

"kinda close?" Honolulu's cross town traffic can often approach L.A. commute standards.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Agree. It is a one lane road (each way) to the PCC and if there is an accident or telephone pole down or any other kind of traffic problem you would miss your ship............ I would not try to go there at night/evening.

Traffic very dicey here now. Worst traffic at certain times of day. And worst roads in any state.

Thanks! I know there is something you have to drive around from the port to OLL. I thought it was a dormant Volcano, but looks like West Maui Forest Reserve and Puu KuKui.

You have indeed done your Maui homework well about the area. We wrongly assumed you meant Haleakala, as that is what most tourists talk about. Yes, you do drive around some of the base of (what is casually called) the West Maui Mountains to get from your dock in Kahului to Lahaina.

Please do keep an eye on The Maui News (especially the Thursday "Maui Scene" section), Maui Now and even KPOA (FM radio 93.5 website) via computer to keep abreast of local happenings. Local (kama'aina) events may well be what you are looking for. You can test that idea if you want by watching a youtube video (try "Lei Pikake" - Uluwehi Guerrero" for instance) of the halau our daughter belongs to. It is called Halau Hula Kauluokala and her kumu (teacher - and the vocalist) is Uluwehi Guerrero. Compare the dances with OLL and see what you think on style and presentation.

You have indeed done your Maui homework well about the area. We wrongly assumed you meant Haleakala, as that is what most tourists talk about. Yes, you do drive around some of the base of (what is casually called) the West Maui Mountains to get from your dock in Kahului to Lahaina.

Please do keep an eye on The Maui News (especially the Thursday "Maui Scene" section), Maui Now and even KPOA (FM radio 93.5 website) via computer to keep abreast of local happenings. Local (kama'aina) events may well be what you are looking for. You can test that idea if you want by watching a youtube video (try "Lei Pikake" - Uluwehi Guerrero" for instance) of the halau our daughter belongs to. It is called Halau Hula Kauluokala and her kumu (teacher - and the vocalist) is Uluwehi Guerrero. Compare the dances with OLL and see what you think on style and presentation.

Thanks for the great advice. My wife and I always try to get involved with what the locals do, instead of following the herds to the tourist areas. The exception will be Pearl Harbor.