The newest trend/ship design -

CJcruzer

I cannot believe how contentious my post has become! Really!?!

I just thought the concept was interesting, I never commented whether I would sail on a ship of this type or not; did not even ask for a "poll" on yay or nay! I merely stated what I perceived it to resemble without passing judgement : condo units.

Why does everything have to become so controversial and "personal"?

I cannot believe how contentious my post has become! Really!?!

I just thought the concept was interesting, I never commented whether I would sail on a ship of this type or not; did not even ask for a "poll" on yay or nay! I merely stated what I perceived it to resemble without passing judgement : condo units.

And I think most reasonable people on this board took it for exactly that, a valid opinion.

Some folks however will jump on anything we write and analyze every last word as if their lives depended on it, trying to elicit an argument.

I have come to recognize quite a few of those posters and I still have not blocked them as they often bring me some comedic relief. Most of them never have anything to offer in the way of valid cruise experience, never answer an OP's questions or continually recommend that OP's not trust anything they see on CC but contact HAL for every little piece of information. I have however developed a mantra for when I read their arrogant, obnoxious, argumentative and self-righteous posts: "Just consider the source and move on!" ;p

Edited by taxmantoo

It's not about how many cruises you've been on. I've only been cruising with HAL since 2008 and spread out over several years until recently when I've been going on a cruise yearly.

"Interesting concept"? Yes. I don't like everything about it either but wouldn't rule it out.

This to me is the most interesting ship to be designed since QM2. It truly is taking a new approach which to me will work wonderful for its purpose.

It’s not for me, but I’m glad MSC is adventurous and willing to expand the envelope.

What's more..there is definitely a difference between "having an an opinion" and "bashing".
It varies; it is rarely as overt as it has been recently. More often it is like juvenile teenagers, snickering behind their hands at the new girl - regardless of whether it is overt or covert, it is still a behavior that is perceived negatively by newbies.

It’s not for me, but I’m glad MSC is adventurous and willing to expand the envelope.
This. It's like the Behemoths of the Sea: They're inescapably innovative and important to the industry, even if one may not want to cruise on them. And very often changes will come from these innovations whether a specific passengers likes them or not, so there's more to talk about than just whether they're good or bad. It is also important to understand how they're going to have impact regardless. Just look at the changes evident in Koningsdam and Nieuw Statendam. If you didn't see those changes coming by looking at the innovative cruise ships that you didn't like five-plus years earlier then you weren't paying attention.

I don't think Holland America will ever have the bells and whistles of,say, Royal Caribbean's hugenormous ships..but yes, they are paying attention and that can be seen in the two new ships and also in the way that others(like the Westerdam) are getting a freshening up.

I bet someone in this forum once wrote that Holland America would never have a ship without a "proper" full promenade around the entire ship.

This message may have been entered using voice recognition. Please excuse any typos.

I bet someone in this forum once wrote that Holland America would never have a ship without a "proper" full promenade around the entire ship.

This message may have been entered using voice recognition. Please excuse any typos.

They probably didn't last very long if they did:o:o:o

They probably didn't last very long if they did:o:o:o
I dunno. I would guess that it was someone still here... Or maybe it was someone who said that there would what's be dance hosts, or duplicate bridge directors, or discounts for Protestant chaplains.

This post may have been entered by voice recognition. Please excuse any typographical errors.

I dunno. I would guess that it was someone still here... Or maybe it was someone who said that there would what's be dance hosts, or duplicate bridge directors, or discounts for Protestant chaplains.

This post may have been entered by voice recognition. Please excuse any typographical errors.

Darned autocorrect!

Or maybe it was someone who said that there would ALWAYS be dance hosts, or duplicate bridge directors, or discounts for Protestant chaplains.

This is not a ship I'd care to sail for a 7 day, or even 14 day, Caribbean cruise. However, it may be worth considering on a Transatlantic where the variety or amenities may make the 7 or 8 consecutive sea days more interesting. A couple of years ago we sailed Oasis of the Seas on one of her rare Transatlantics and found it to be a wonderful experience.

I cannot believe how contentious my post has become!

If someone says he thinks a ship is hideous - and that he cannot stand the idea of sailing on anything carrying 5,000 passengers, he is expressing a personal view - which only the hyper-sensitive would see a “bashing”.

You forgot what you wrote... it wasn't about the ship carrying 5000 passengers. You comment was about "spending a week on that thing -- with five thousand people who think it's a good idea." That's where it went from "expressing a personal view" to "bashing".

More often it is like juvenile teenagers, snickering behind their hands at the new girl - regardless of whether it is overt or covert, it is still a behavior that is perceived negatively by newbies.

Yes, I quote out of context - but referring in this fashion to posters whose comments you do not like is certainly capable of being seen as much "bashing" as my saying that I do not like ships carrying five thousand passengers -- or "spending a week on that thing - with five thousand people who think it is a good idea."

I did not say they were wrong to like such a ship - merely that, not only do I not like huge ships, I prefer not to be in a large crowd of people who like things very different from what I like.

Of course, any time anyone states an opinion different from something previously posted, it can be seen as "bashing" that previous poster. Why not just accept the fact that different people like different things?

By that logic people who point out instances of racial intolerance are intolerant.

No. Pointing out that there are specified behaviors that make newbies feel unwelcome is not the same as bashing specific people because they happened to like something.

By that logic people who point out instances of racial intolerance are intolerant.

No. Pointing out that there are specified behaviors that make newbies feel unwelcome is not the same as bashing specific people because they happened to like something.

As long as “bashing” on these boards seems to be a major concern of yours - can you provide an example of the kind of “bashing” which might “make newbies feel unwelcome”?

... Rembering that people are entitled to express what they like and dislike about types of ships.

As long as “bashing” on these boards seems to be a major concern of yours - can you provide an example of the kind of “bashing” which might “make newbies feel unwelcome”?
Beyond the example that I already have provided, where you bashed anyone who might actually find MSC Seaside a good idea - no - because I'm not going to get into a meta-discussion. It's bad to say such things: It has a chilling impact on participation by those bashed. That's enough said about it.

Beyond the example that I already have provided, where you bashed anyone who might actually find MSC Seaside a good idea - no - because I'm not going to get into a meta-discussion. It's bad to say such things: It has a chilling impact on participation by those bashed. That's enough said about it.

You really should try to understand posts before leveling criticisms.

I DID NOT bash people who might like MSC Seaside. I said that I did not like 5,000 passenger ships, and would prefer not to to be on a ship carrying 5,000 people who did like such large ships. I also do not like booze cruises - and would not want to sail with thousands of people who did like booze cruises. I would not enjoy any theme cruise populated largely by people whose interests are different from mine.

There is nothing wrong with people who like very large ships with lots of bells and whistles, and I have never said there was; but my interests are likely to differ from theirs. I am more likely to enjoy a cruise in the company of people who like the sort of ship I like.

I have read a number of posts expressing disinterest in sailing with the usual HAL passenger mix. Good for them - and good for me.

I agree: you have said more than enough about it.

You really should try to understand posts before leveling criticisms.
I understand perfectly. From my view, your explanation is retroactive backpedaling and your more general resistance to what I pointed out ignores the more general reality of comments and behaviors in the forum and its impact on different users. We're not going to agree about that. Time to move on. Edited by bUU

On behalf of 99% of CC posters ... Thank you!
One would expect people would be more accustomed to accepting that there will be disagreement.

I will be giving this ship a run when the itinerary matches my vacation schedule. I am super excited about all the new ships across all the lines in the coming years. I have no loyalties to lines. For me it's who is going where I want to go when I want to go for the best value. Wish me luck!