Collecting for a Cunard Memory Box

EastCoastLilac

Has anyone collected menus, programs, etc. from their Cunard crossings or cruises? I'm thinking about what little things I want to save from my first (hopefully first) crossing with Cunard.

Is it possible that a request would be filled or denied? Ask the steward?

It's sort of like saving theatre ticket stubs, to nudge the memory cells some day. ;)

Has anyone collected menus, programs, etc. from their Cunard crossings or cruises? I'm thinking about what little things I want to save from my first (hopefully first) crossing with Cunard.

Is it possible that a request would be filled or denied? Ask the steward?

It's sort of like saving theatre ticket stubs, to nudge the memory cells some day. ;)

I save all the Daily Programmes from our Cunard voyages. Those are the pamphlets showing the daily schedule of activities which we receive on embarkation and then each evening for the next day's activities. Some of the musical and dramatic performances during the day will have programs which I collect as well. I also like to keep the card we receive in our stateroom on embarkation showing our Britannia restaurant table assignment.

We used to be given a packet containing our dinner menus at the end of the voyage including little notes from the wait staff to keep as mementos, but Cunard has apparently stopped doing that. Not sure if you can get copies of your menus on request.

Regards,

John.

Edited by bluemarble

I'm not sure there will be invitation to Captain's party until second Cunard voyage ???

Sometimes, they don't ask for cruise card when we disembark, so we have saved a few of these.

The last time I asked, menus were given at the end of the voyage, but only when requested. Like bluemarble and scrapnana, I have a pile of Daily Programmes and invitations…

And, Cunard pens! I have one from each voyage. I think that is my most prized souvenir : )

Happy Sailing!

Good reminder about saving the cruise card, jimmybean. We have a collection of those too.

There should be ship postcards among the writing materials supplied in your stateroom. I collect one of those for each different ship we sail on from each of the various cruise lines.

If you should happen to be lucky enough to receive an invitation to dine at an officer's table during your voyage, that makes a very nice souvenir too.

Regards,

John.

On our recent QV voyage our waiters gave us the preceding week's menus each weekend, without us asking for them. Presented with a nice little cover and note from both of them - presumably this was done for most other passengers as well.

If I may ask, were you in the Grills, JuniorCruisers? That may make a difference. Or perhaps they have recently revived the practice of automatically distributing the menus in the Britannia restaurant.

Regards,

John.

Edited by bluemarble

If I may ask, were you in the Grills, JuniorCruisers? That may make a difference. Or perhaps they have recently revived the practice of automatically distributing the menus in the Britannia restaurant.

Nope, Britannia all the way. Can't say we saw anyone else get them (not that we looked), but we certainly didn't ask/mention the menus so not sure why the waiters would have singled us out for them if it's not normal practice, however we were pleased to receive them.

On our last 2 cruises I asked, on the first night, if we could have the menus at the end of the trip. We are not normally given the menu for the last night and some of the dates on the menus have been for the previous week but they are still a lovely keepsake.

On our recent QV voyage our waiters gave us the preceding week's menus each weekend, without us asking for them. Presented with a nice little cover and note from both of them - presumably this was done for most other passengers as well.

Regards,

John.

When I was onboard in 2014 (Britannia) everyone was given menus at the end of their segment. In 2015 (Britannia Club in January) no menus.

my Cunard Memory Box has quite a bit from older Cunarders when just about everything had the logo on it. Several ashtrays from QE2 and Queen Mary with logos, the full length plush bath towels with logos and the best, two Cunard steamer rugs from the Sun Deck. Navy wool with red wool inside, gold embroidery and black leather trim. A few commemorative coins and trinkets.:D

july in 2015, QV gave out the Menus in the Britiannia staterooms, on the last day. we did not want them, but did not want to refuse them, so we took them. they are beautiful and quite a keepsake, but also kind of wasteful as many probably throw them out.

I have mixed ideas on how to handle that if I ran the business.

It must be quite an effort for 600 Britannia cabins to prepare those packages, and its done just before "turnover" when guests leave, an already busy time.

Edited by edwardh1

I save all the Daily Programmes from our Cunard voyages. Those are the pamphlets showing the daily schedule of activities which we receive on embarkation and then each evening for the next day's activities. Some of the musical and dramatic performances during the day will have programs which I collect as well. I also like to keep the card we receive in our stateroom on embarkation showing our Britannia restaurant table assignment.

We used to be given a packet containing our dinner menus at the end of the voyage including little notes from the wait staff to keep as mementos, but Cunard has apparently stopped doing that. Not sure if you can get copies of your menus on request.

Regards,

John.

I must remember the table assignment card, thanks for that. I hope the menus and programs are able to be saved, will have to ask.

Scrapnana I would expect there to be a cocktail party to which you will get an invitation. They collect the invitations as you enter but if you ask they will let you keep it.

Thanks Scrapnana, I didn't realize there might be an invitation, if not, maybe the next trip. Exciting new events!

jimmybean I'm not sure there will be invitation to Captain's party until second Cunard voyage ???

Sometimes, they don't ask for cruise card when we disembark, so we have saved a few of these.

The last time I asked, menus were given at the end of the voyage, but only when requested. Like bluemarble and scrapnana, I have a pile of Daily Programmes and invitations…

And, Cunard pens! I have one from each voyage. I think that is my most prized souvenir : )

Happy Sailing!

Never thought of pens, and cruise card would be great to save. Thanks jimmybean.

JuniorCruisers On our recent QV voyage our waiters gave us the preceding week's menus each weekend, without us asking for them. Presented with a nice little cover and note from both of them - presumably this was done for most other passengers as well.

Excellent!

bluemarble Good reminder about saving the cruise card, jimmybean. We have a collection of those too.

There should be ship postcards among the writing materials supplied in your stateroom. I collect one of those for each different ship we sail on from each of the various cruise lines.

If you should happen to be lucky enough to receive an invitation to dine at an officer's table during your voyage, that makes a very nice souvenir too.

Regards,

John.

I have many postcards some I bought and some sent to me, as well antique cards I bought from fairs and thrift stores. I would love for some QM2/Cunard postcards to be added to my collection! Thanks, John.

Summergee On our last 2 cruises I asked, on the first night, if we could have the menus at the end of the trip. We are not normally given the menu for the last night and some of the dates on the menus have been for the previous week but they are still a lovely keepsake.

I agree with you, Summergee. Also, from reading the replies, it seems as if I ask the waiter for the menus?

Jim Avery my Cunard Memory Box has quite a bit from older Cunarders when just about everything had the logo on it. Several ashtrays from QE2 and Queen Mary with logos, the full length plush bath towels with logos and the best, two Cunard steamer rugs from the Sun Deck. Navy wool with red wool inside, gold embroidery and black leather trim. A few commemorative coins and trinkets.

That's a stash! Hope you have enjoyed each one as they represent your past trips, Jim.

edwardh1 july in 2015, QV gave out the Menus in the Britiannia staterooms, on the last day. we did not want them, but did not want to refuse them, so we took them. they are beautiful and quite a keepsake, but also kind of wasteful as many probably throw them out.

I have mixed ideas on how to handle that if I ran the business.

It must be quite an effort for 600 Britannia cabins to prepare those packages, and its done just before "turnover" when guests leave, an already busy time.

I have saved menus and other bits and pieces from different places and plan on getting around to assemble them into nice displays or shadowboxes, some time... One of these days when other things don't get in the way. I see your point, edwardh1, many don't want the paperwork or just don't get sentimental.

Thanks everyone for the ideas and sharing.

we did throw ours out when we got home (used them for scratch paper) too much stuff in your life to save, and how long to save, what??? Pictures of the ship and co travelers but not the menus.

someone does put a real effort in preparing all those tho.!!

I've kept menus from my first QM2 crossing, handed to me without asking for them on the last evening. I believe they did this on early QM2 voyages, but not later.

I've also a set from a (special to me) cruise, that I requested.

Other than those, I don't bother anymore.

(I was told by a steward, whom I asked why the sets of menus weren't handed out to passengers as a matter of routine anymore (as a souvenir) that "many passengers just discarded them in their cabins". Either not interested, or maybe weight considerations if they were flying post cruise (or had no room in their cases). So they stopped giving them out, but will still do so on request.

(Furthermore he told me that they prefer passengers to ask on the first night for a set to be reserved, so they can keep them handy, rather than have to try and find a complete set on the last evening)).

I've also kept the following:

In a Cunard wallet... Cruise cards...

When they used to have your photograph on them, one from Queen Mary 2 and one from Queen Elizabeth 2, much nicer than the current versions.

A few from very recent trips (to remind me of dates).

In a scrap book...

Invitations... To the QM2 Bridge in 2007, several senior officers cocktail parties etc.

Any information sheets handed out that give useful stuff to help answer questions posted here (can't rely on my memory).

"Behind the Scenes" tour info etc. Port information sheets. Shore tour tickets (where possible).

A deck map/cutaway diagram of QE2 as I'm still trying to find my way about (;))

Almost all (but not quite all :( ) Daily Programmes from my trips. I find these esp interesting as I use a highlighter pen on board to mark what I mustn't miss. So now these bring back great memories of enjoyable times, funny moments, great speakers, etc. I'll certainly be ensuring I keep all these from now on.

Also pens, pins, items won from trivia quizzes... and purchased on board: mugs, books, souvenirs etc.

In an Album...

Any photographs taken by the ship's photographers (I don't have many of these, I avoid the dining room ones esp, but I do have a handful of very special ones, that bring back great memories).

(My proudest possession; a 3ft approx. model of QM2, built by my 80yr old father)

Hope this helps... :)

Edited by pepperrn

I've kept menus from my first QM2 crossing, handed to me without asking for them on the last evening. I believe they did this on early QM2 voyages, but not later.

I've also a set from a (special to me) cruise, that I requested.

Other than those, I don't bother anymore.

(I was told by a steward, whom I asked why the sets of menus weren't handed out to passengers as a matter of routine anymore (as a souvenir) that "many passengers just discarded them in their cabins". Either not interested, or maybe weight considerations if they were flying post cruise (or had no room in their cases). So they stopped giving them out, but will still do so on request.

(Furthermore he told me that they prefer passengers to ask on the first night for a set to be reserved, so they can keep them handy, rather than have to try and find a complete set on the last evening)). Thanks for explaining this. I will ask the steward on the first day.

I've also kept the following:

In a Cunard wallet... Cruise cards...

When they used to have your photograph on them, one from Queen Mary 2 and one from Queen Elizabeth 2, much nicer than the current versions.

A few from very recent trips (to remind me of dates).

In a scrap book...

Invitations... To the QM2 Bridge in 2007, several senior officers cocktail parties etc.

Any information sheets handed out that give useful stuff to help answer questions posted here (can't rely on my memory).

"Behind the Scenes" tour info etc. Port information sheets. Shore tour tickets (where possible).

A deck map/cutaway diagram of QE2 as I'm still trying to find my way about (;)) Me, too. I plan to enlarge some of the diagrams from the book Cunard sent regarding the schedules. Also, to make a list of things I don't want to miss.

Almost all (but not quite all :( ) Daily Programmes from my trips. I find these esp interesting as I use a highlighter pen on board to mark what I mustn't miss. So now these bring back great memories of enjoyable times, funny moments, great speakers, etc. I'll certainly be ensuring I keep all these from now on. I try not to mark up any items I save. But, reading this, it makes the programme that much more personal and could jog the memory. I shouldn't try to keep everything so pristine.:)

Also pens, pins, items won from trivia quizzes... and purchased on board: mugs, books, souvenirs etc. I don't think I'd win a trivia, but I could try!

In an Album...

Any photographs taken by the ship's photographers (I don't have many of these, I avoid the dining room ones esp, but I do have a handful of very special ones, that bring back great memories).

(My proudest possession; a 3ft approx. model of QM2, built by my 80yr old father) I've got goosebumps reading this. Such a lovely and special treasure.

Hope this helps... :)

Thank you, pepperrn for sharing your experience, it gives me even more assurances.

edwardh1 we did throw ours out when we got home (used them for scratch paper) too much stuff in your life to save, and how long to save, what??? Pictures of the ship and co travelers but not the menus.

someone does put a real effort in preparing all those tho.!!

I've moved house too many times than I liked, so I know about the decluttering. I hope to get down to the essentials. Lots of donations, so other people benefit from that, but they won't want paperwork. :)

Thank you EastCoastLilac,

photos can be found here:

or via the link below,

I hope you like the model.

I am amazed and impressed! The ship model is beautiful and so very well done! How long did it take your father to build the QM2, Pepper? What an accomplishment!

I am amazed and impressed! The ship model is beautiful and so very well done! How long did it take your father to build the QM2, Pepper? What an accomplishment!
Hi jimmybean, thank you for your very kind words, I'll pass them on to dad!

It took him approx three months, I think it had around 550 separate parts!

He's been building models all his life, sometimes from kits (like this one) sometimes "scratchbuilt" from plasticard etc.

I bought the kit after asking him if he would build it, knowing I simply don't have the skill or patience :( .

Since building it he's noted a few mistakes, but I don't see them.

He's been on QM2 twice (one cruise, one crossing), he said that helped when he came to build the model.

I have it a glass case (he also made) on top a low bookcase; I pass "QM2" several times a day, and always look at her... :) .

I'd never part with it of course.

Edited by pepperrn

Hi jimmybean, thank you for your very kind words, I'll pass them on to dad!

It took him approx three months, I think it had around 550 separate parts!

He's been building models all his life, sometimes from kits (like this one) sometimes "scratchbuilt" from plasticard etc.

I bought the kit after asking him if he would build it, knowing I simply don't have the skill or patience :( .

Since building it he's noted a few mistakes, but I don't see them.

He's been on QM2 twice (one cruise, one crossing), he said that helped when he came to build the model.

I have it a glass case (he also made) on top a low bookcase; I pass "QM2" several times a day, and always look at her... :) .

I'd never part with it of course.

Yes, Pepper, Kudos to your Dad! It is a masterpiece! Indeed, he must be a very patient man as well as very skillful.

The model is every bit as perfect (mistakes or no) as the one in the QE's Commodore!

Thank you for sharing with us!

I'm not sure there will be invitation to Captain's party until second Cunard voyage ???

Happy Sailing!

The Captain's welcome reception is open to everyone but I don't think invitations are generally sent. The World Club parties do have invitations but you don't get one first time round.

They do not collect your cruise card anymore you are free to keep it.

I generally keep everything, I have a slightly overflowing wooden box which needs a serious tidy up !

That's amazing, I don't suppose he accepts commissions ??
He'd be very flattered by that thought :) , thank you.

(He's a few years older now, but still making models; recently a dock scene, pier and "sea" for a neighbour's amateur model-railway group).

• 2 years later...

Hi, Wanted to say that on my first crossing, I asked the steward about getting the menus and she looked at me as if I had three eyes. She said no one had ever asked for menus and thought it was odd.

I didn't appreciate that reply, but she said she would see if it was possible, so I left it at that.

On the last night of the trip, she brought me photocopies of all menus except for the first night (which was the best one for me of the week) and although the photocopies were not what I expected, I thanked her and packed them.

Other things I saved were the daily programmes, the newspapers, pen, postcard, magazine, notepad, napkins, and the nightly chocolates.

On that crossing the Gift Shop was fully stocked and so I bought a few things I saw at the time for myself and for gifts.

I also kept the receipts for onboard purchases, and had a chance to look at them for something or other a month ago. The ink had faded so badly, I could barely read them.

Back in the 1950's my Mother sailed on Cunard and I have her Passenger List. Times have changed from when all passengers were named in a booklet for everyone else to peruse.

When my Nana sailed back to Britain I went up to NYC to see her off. I got a toy model of the ship, which I still have today, although it's damaged.

Way back then, you could board the ship to say goodbye, before waving from the dock as they sailed out of sight.

When the gong was rung and the shout went out, "All ashore whose going ashore!" I took off like a rocket, thinking I had to high tail it out of there. So funny and so young.

I still remember (seemed to me a young girl) the rickety wood gangplank. So cautious to walk on it, as you could see the river through the spaces.

I think I saved a few other things, but most of all the memories of my first crossing, sea sickness and all.:champagne-toast:

Edited by EastCoastLilac
clarity