Columbia/Snake Rivers

PROCRUISE

Trying to get a good handle on comparing ACL with American Queen Steamboat Co.

Interested in the Columbia & Snake River cruise, Have read through all the reviews here (many negative with regards to ACL and Queen of the West. However, most are very dated back to even 2012.

One question I do have, which is avoiding my understanding, is the fairly large price difference between the American Pride that travels Clarkston to Portland verses the Queen of the West that travels the reverse route. Stops and tours and optional tours appear the same. Queen of the West does state that staterooms are slightly smaller but that would not bother me. American Pride cabin cost is also listed as approximately $950 (solo cabin) more for their route of travel - for what?

Americn Steamboat offers basically the same route although Clarkston to Vancouver, WA and price for a solo cabin is just slightly lower than ACL.

Thanks for any insight.

I'm going on the QoW in July and looked at many of the same issues you addressed.

Yes a single cabin for AP is about $1,000 more than QoW. I talked to ACL and they said same itinerary, same amenities, same food, BUT much smaller cabins (and bathrooms) and a much older ship. If you go on their website, every cabin single or double, shows the same picture for QoW.

As far as Itinerary, the QoW does Portland to Clarkston one week and the reverse the following week. AP does Clarkston to Portland one week and the reverse the following week, so every Saturday, one of the ships is in Portland and the other in Clarkston and they switch the following week.

One difference is the Hells Canyon Jet Boat trip. If yo go Portland to Clarkston, you do the Jet Boat on the last day (Friday). Going the other way, the jet boat tour is done the day BEFORE the cruise starts. Yes, the trip includes one night in the embarkation port no matter which way you are going, however if doing the Clarkston start, the Jet boat is Friday morning, which means you really need to fly in on Thursday and pay for an extra hotel night ($250 double; $275 single)

Looks like the AQCL ship only has ONE dedicated single cabin (w balcony) while QoW has 6 w/ balcony and 2 w/ window. I'm sure you can pay a single surcharge on either to book a dble cabin for a single.

I'm going on the QoW in July and looked at many of the same issues you addressed.

Yes a single cabin for AP is about $1,000 more than QoW. I talked to ACL and they said same itinerary, same amenities, same food, BUT much smaller cabins (and bathrooms) and a much older ship. If you go on their website, every cabin single or double, shows the same picture for QoW.

As far as Itinerary, the QoW does Portland to Clarkston one week and the reverse the following week. AP does Clarkston to Portland one week and the reverse the following week, so every Saturday, one of the ships is in Portland and the other in Clarkston and they switch the following week.

One difference is the Hells Canyon Jet Boat trip. If yo go Portland to Clarkston, you do the Jet Boat on the last day (Friday). Going the other way, the jet boat tour is done the day BEFORE the cruise starts. Yes, the trip includes one night in the embarkation port no matter which way you are going, however if doing the Clarkston start, the Jet boat is Friday morning, which means you really need to fly in on Thursday and pay for an extra hotel night ($250 double; $275 single)

Looks like the AQCL ship only has ONE dedicated single cabin (w balcony) while QoW has 6 w/ balcony and 2 w/ window. I'm sure you can pay a single surcharge on either to book a dble cabin for a single.

Thanks for your insight. Look forward to your possible post cruise review. Enjoy!!