Northern Europe - Opinions and Experience

CruisingFox27

I've been looking and contemplating a North European itinerary. 3 have caught my attention

Orchestra, 11 nights, Aug 18

Embark in Denmark and sails to Sweden, Germany, Poland, Russia, Estonia, Lithuania, Finland.

Aurea experience

Preziosa, 7 nights, May 18

Embark in Germany and sails to Sweden, Denmark, Estonia, Russia.

YC

Meraviglia, 10/11 nights, May or Sept 18

Embark in Hamburg and sails the Norwegian fijords

YC

I said i wouldn't consider Meraviglia after watching 'Cruising with Jane' but it's YC and out of season so am considering it.

Has anyone sailed these POC, any thoughts? I love the Orchestra itinerary but don't know anything of the ship, I'll be having a detailed look but any experience on here?

Hi CF .............. we absolutely loved our experience in YC on Meraviglia - probably the best YC sailing we've had. And that's despite the fact that we didn't like a lot of aspects of the ship.

We're trying Orchestra in December. We've been on Magnifica, her sister ship, before (going again in 10 days time) and loved the ship - the size, the layout and the entertainment in the main lounge at night.

I would love to do the Orchestra itinerary - it looks amazing and I was planning on booking it but Splendida's itinerary to Japan next March won out. I'm really hoping it becomes a regular over the next couple of years and that I haven't blown my chance of visiting those more unusual POCs. IMHO, both the Preziosa and Meraviglia itineraries are more regular fixtures so more chance of them being available to do in the future.

One more point - I'd choose a 10 or 11 night cruise over a 7 night one which I think is just too short.

Edited by Beamafar

Thanks Bea, I knew you'd have knowledge of this :D

I love the itinerary of Orchestra, the August sailing would fit nicely between our Dubai cruise in March and the TA in November. I told DH we could do a small mini break in between as he's added extra nights in Dubai to the end of the cruise (he also thinks 7 nights is too short) but then I saw these....Lots of places I'd love to go to but couldn't imagine booking a holiday to.

The YC on Meraviglia has tempted me, I'm just concerned about the size of the ship, well the amount of people. Our first MSC on Divina (Aurea) wasn't busy but the last 2 were and we struggled, thankfully we had YC to retreat to. It's not that we're anti social or miserable but we do like a less busy, relaxed environment. Basically, we don't like fighting for seats or waiting an hour for a drink :(

I am also looking for excuses to book YC, hence the interest in the Preziosa although the itinerary isn't as good. We are on Preziosa for the TA so will get to experience this ship so this is my 3rd choice.

It's certainly very hard to contemplate anything after YC. Our next 2 are in Fantastica balcony cabins. We'll certainly make the most of them but I keep looking beyond them to the 28 night Splendida trip in March in YC.

Best of luck with the decision-making! ;p

You will enjoy the itinerary for the Orchestra that MSC has assembled for the cruise.you are considering. We did a Baltic Sea cruise this past June on HAL visiting most of those ports St. Petersburg will be the highlight for sensory overload - but all the POC are interesting.and worthwhile.

With all of the positive exposure that MSC has received through CC and media, we are now considering the Orchestra for a Mediterranean cruise in October 2018 coupled with a HAL TA from Barcelona. The Orchestra is larger than what we are accustomed to on HAL :) but we like what we have read and seen. Not disappointed with HAL but it might be a nice break

We did the same Baltic Sea itinerary last year on the Opera. Very port intensive but an excellent way to see so many capital/major cities. The Orchestra is one of the mid Musica class ships which are very comfortable. No YC but an Aurea suite gives you many of the same priviliges.

Thanks all. Another question, would this be a popular itinerary? We wouldn't normally holiday in July or August as it's peak season and is more expensive and family holiday time. This doesn't seem to me to be the sort of itinerary you'd choose for a family holiday so interested in the demographic of passengers. Boring middle aged cruisers (us) v family fun camp?

DH was looking to do a beach holiday between cruises so I need to work hard to sell this :D

I've not seen this itinerary before and love it so am reluctant to miss out if it's not a regular feature but equally conscious of the August date.

I can understand your concern about it being an August cruise, CF. My gut goes with the "boring middle-aged cruisers" (that's us, too!) for that itinerary. One possible indicator might be whether "kids sail free" or at a very reduced rate. :confused: With Northern Europe season being short, ergo more demand, and (usually) more pricey, I can't imagine many choosing this for a family trip when they can get better value on the more common itineraries. Also, it's an 11 nighter - not so popular with families with kids. Again, just surmising. Hopefully someone with experience can give you a definitive answer.

Thanks Bea, your surmising matched my thinking. I guess we'll find out in August as I've booked it today :D:D:D

It's obviously reasonably popular as we had to change up the cabin/package we were looking at, the website said available but I called to check and they said there were none available at all. If DH complains about the extra ££'s at least I'll be able to blame his indecision ;p

I think you've done the right thing! I imagine it'll start booking out from here on as people start planning next year's holidays and it's an unusual one.

I'm hoping that the itinerary will be repeated over the course of the next couple of years 'cos it's one I'd really love to do when the budget allows LOL.

HI

We have done a very similar cruise to this (we did the 14 night) on Orchestra in Aurea. I loved it. We sailed out of the school holiday period and there were very few children onboard - the ones that were there were mostly teenagers from Germany and Europe. You I think are planning August which is Summer holidays in the north - this may make a difference and cause more families on this cruise. The ports are fantastic and I would go again in a heartbeat.

I loved the Aurea package and it was a good substitute for YC but not quite as special. The private deck was private - there was no spa tub or pool. Lots of Cabana's but northern Europe is cooler and they were hardly used. The one sea day we had they set up a bar and waiters so you could order your drinks on deck but otherwise you had to go to pool deck and get your own.

The Aurea dining area was crowded - our cruise was fully booked and it felt like it. The drinks we ordered were of a good quality and lots of alcohol. They didnt skimp on the measures.

The drawback for me was waiting in line to reboard after excursions. The lines were long and slow. Security was tight. Even the Captain walked around with security front and back of him. I felt it was over the top and not necessary. I complained about the length of time it took to get back onboard and I showed them photos of the line so they understood what was happening on the outside.

We have booked aurea suite again for our next cruise but only because YC was full.

• 1 month later...
Looking at the Seaview Europe cruise for 26 October 2018. Has anyone had experience of 'mediterranean' weather around this time? Should I expect it to be cold at this time of year?

We were on a Med cruise late September/early October last (Autumn) and found that it could be cool in the shade on occasion. Your date is only a few days before Winter begins so temperatures will certainly be quite lower than in Autumn. However, you can be fortunate and get some very pleasant sunshine, especially if you experience unseasonally warm days. Daylight hours, though, are much shortened, too.

We did a Xmas cruise some years back in the Med on the Costa Deliziosa, most days were bright and sunny until about 3pm, after this time the temperatures dropped and you needed a warm coat most of the day.

We were lucky to get decent seas during the cruise.

Xmas day was a none event though sadly.

Apologies, CF, for going off-topic to respond to the following, though it's kinda Orchestra related, so I think you'll forgive me ;).

We did a Xmas cruise some years back in the Med on the Costa Deliziosa, most days were bright and sunny until about 3pm, after this time the temperatures dropped and you needed a warm coat most of the day.

We were lucky to get decent seas during the cruise.

Xmas day was a none event though sadly.

I'm a little disheartened to read this, Dave, though I think someone else may have posted something similar on here before about MSC. IINM, it was said that Christmas Eve may be a Gala night. I think that would be very nice and Christmas Day onboard Orchestra could be a real chill-out day (unlike when at home being left to do all the cooking & cleaning from early morning! LOL).

I must remember to download some decent stuff to watch on the iPad with feet up on the bed for the afternoon with a nice glass of Martell (make that a double, barman, please!) after a long, lazy Christmas Day lunch and leave DH to prop up the bar in the Cigar Lounge in peace, without having me giving out (complaining) about the amount he's smoking! ;p

Our last TA departed Genoa 23 October, the weather was sunny and pleasant in Genoa and Barcelona but rainy and chilly in Malaga. From the beginning of October it can be mixed in the Med, pleasant in the sun but in shade or late afternoon it feels cooler. Obviously it depends if you feel the cold, I'm a very chilly mortal so it need to be above 25c for me to not be wearing a jumper to be honest :')

Our last TA departed Genoa 23 October, the weather was sunny and pleasant in Genoa and Barcelona but rainy and chilly in Malaga. From the beginning of October it can be mixed in the Med, pleasant in the sun but in shade or late afternoon it feels cooler. Obviously it depends if you feel the cold, I'm a very chilly mortal so it need to be above 25c for me to not be wearing a jumper to be honest :')

and me 😆 apologies for jumping on the thread tho thanks for the replies :)

I've been looking and contemplating a North European itinerary. 3 have caught my attention

Orchestra, 11 nights, Aug 18

Embark in Denmark and sails to Sweden, Germany, Poland, Russia, Estonia, Lithuania, Finland.

Aurea experience

Preziosa, 7 nights, May 18

Embark in Germany and sails to Sweden, Denmark, Estonia, Russia.

YC

Meraviglia, 10/11 nights, May or Sept 18

Embark in Hamburg and sails the Norwegian fijords

YC

I said i wouldn't consider Meraviglia after watching 'Cruising with Jane' but it's YC and out of season so am considering it.

Has anyone sailed these POC, any thoughts? I love the Orchestra itinerary but don't know anything of the ship, I'll be having a detailed look but any experience on here?

ORCHESTRA

the orchestra is a lovely ship, I did a 28 night Caribbean / trans Atlantic last year in an aurea cabin.very good cruise on her

my review here

http://www.cruisingmates.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?f=270&t=11371

It's a very interesting itinerary.

MERAVIGLIA

Went on meraviglia in YC recently.

Wouldn't go on her unless it was YC

my review here

http://www.cruisingmates.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?f=270&t=12438

Norwegian fjords are really stunning

my review of a cruise on P&Os Azura is here

http://www.cruisingmates.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?f=272&t=1349

I think it's a toss up between these two cruises with Preziosa a long way back

just my humble opinion

Pete

Edited by Skier52

ORCHESTRA

the orchestra is a lovely ship, I did a 28 night Caribbean / trans Atlantic last year in an aurea cabin.very good cruise on her

my review here

http://www.cruisingmates.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?f=270&t=11371

It's a very interesting itinerary.

MERAVIGLIA

Went on meraviglia in YC recently.

Wouldn't go on her unless it was YC

my review here

http://www.cruisingmates.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?f=270&t=12438

Norwegian fjords are really stunning

my review of a cruise on P&Os Azura is here

http://www.cruisingmates.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?f=272&t=1349

I think it's a toss up between these two cruises with Preziosa a long way back

just my humble opinion

Pete

Thanks Pete, we opted for the Orchestra option as it was our favoured itinerary.

Glad you enjoyed the itinerary you did on her as we are doing as similar in reverse next year on Preziosa, will have a good read of your review.