Is this a typical Amsterdam ocean view cabin? Other questions, too.

whogo

Sorry for all the questions, I thought I followed the HAL board fairly closely. I am considering a cruise on Amsterdam. This is the only ocean view layout I can find on the Amsterdam page, it must be an error, it looks like a small interior cabin.

3D_Insidev2.jpg

Surely this is not a typical ocean view cabin, with beds in an L, angled bathroom, no sofa, only two closets, and no window shown. It is nothing like the accompanying photo. Found it on this page (I think you will have to click on ocean view): https://www.hollandamerica.com/pageByName/Resp.action?requestPage=ships_msAmsterdam&showHeader=true&showFooter=true

Surprised to see the PDF deck plan shows an area range of 140–319 sq. ft. Which ocean view cabin is 319 square feet? 140 square feet? There is also no mention of a mini-bar in ocean view staterooms. No fridge?

Also, the virtual tour link on the above page just sends me back to the original page. Is the HAL website really that messed up?

Saddened to see lanai cabins and Explorations Central are coming to the Amsterdam in 2018. Does this mean that the library will be replaced by something that is of no interest to me and that the Crow's Nest will be without a bar? Are staterooms being redone, too? I like this generic ocean view stateroom:

3D_OceanView.jpg

Sorry for all the questions, I thought I followed the HAL board fairly closely. I am considering a cruise on Amsterdam. This is the only ocean view layout I can find on the Amsterdam page, it must be an error, it looks like a small interior cabin.

3D_Insidev2.jpg

Surely this is not a typical ocean view cabin, with beds in an L, angled bathroom, no sofa, only two closets, and no window shown. It is nothing like the accompanying photo. Found it on this page (I think you will have to click on ocean view): https://www.hollandamerica.com/pageByName/Resp.action?requestPage=ships_msAmsterdam&showHeader=true&showFooter=true

Surprised to see the PDF deck plan shows an area range of 140–319 sq. ft. Which ocean view cabin is 319 square feet? 140 square feet? There is also no mention of a mini-bar in ocean view staterooms. No fridge?

Also, the virtual tour link on the above page just sends me back to the original page. Is the HAL website really that messed up?

Saddened to see lanai cabins and Explorations Central are coming to the Amsterdam in 2018. Does this mean that the library will be replaced by something that is of no interest to me and that the Crow's Nest will be without a bar? Are staterooms being redone, too? I like this generic ocean view stateroom:

3D_OceanView.jpg

The upper pic does NOT look like an ocean view cabin to me either. I think there is an error on the HAL site.

There are lots of OV's that you can take a look at for the Rotterdam class. If you google 1870-Amsterdam - HAL Cruiser Info, you should find pics there plus other pics of R class OV's. Rotterdam and Amsterdam are twins so you are safe to look at Rotterdam OV's as well.

You will see that they do have a sofa in their rooms.

As to the fridge/mini bar - none of the S or R class ships have fridges in cabins that are not verandah or above. You can rent a fridge though for $2 per day. There will be drinks available on your counter when there is no mini bar, so you can still make use of it even if you opt to just use ice bucket.

Hope this helps a bit.

The drinks on the counters in the OV cabin (or interior) do not get the discount a Mariner (4 or more) gets from using the mini bar. However you can buy soda at exploration café and get the discount.

Thanks, kazu. I can not understand how the HAL website can be so bad. Don't they want to sell cruises? Thanks boards, too, for the info about mariner discounts. We won't miss a fridge, don't think we ever used one.

No, that's definitely not a typical Amsterdam OV. I don't think it's any OV on the ship. We had a D on the Main deck and a C (now D) on the Lower Prom. In the first the queen bed was under the window, and in the second we had the bed split into twins on the sides. The LP one had a slightly smaller sofa because the room is about a foot shorter than OV on the Main or Dolphin decks.

G1804/1805 might be 319 sq ft. G2500/1/4/5 might be just 140 sq ft.

Edited by catl331

Thanks, kazu. I can not understand how the HAL website can be so bad. Don't they want to sell cruises? Thanks boards, too, for the info about mariner discounts. We won't miss a fridge, don't think we ever used one.

Happy to help. There is something up with the website. You know how they show a pic of your selected room when you go to your booked cruises to purchase etc? The pic they are showing of my stateroom is an interior cabin layout. The cabin # is right - the layout is not. I have 2 different cabins on the B2B in 2 different classes & the same pic is there for both :(

Unless there have been some major revisions since I was last on the A-dam, that lower diagram is not an OV on the ship either. The head of the bed is (or was) always on the outside wall (at least until they convert some to lanai's) and the TV is not wall mounted opposite the bed.

Click here for photos from last month: http://halfacts.com/r-class/2599-amsterdam/

Edited by jtl513

Unless there have been some major revisions since I was last on the A-dam, that lower diagram is not an OV on the ship either. The head of the bed is (or was) always on the outside wall (at least until they convert some to lanai's) and the TV is not wall mounted opposite the bed.

Click here for photos from last month: http://halfacts.com/r-class/2599-amsterdam/

I think it might be an OV on the Koningsdam.

You know, I don't remember that we got a chair at all! It was so dreary a cabin that we spent almost no time in it.

I was wrong on the date, I think it was 1999.

We definitely had a chair. Ugly 1970s mustard yellow, with stains and dirt. We really thought it had been dragged into our cabin last-minute. Looked like it had been retrieved from a storage room for unwanted stuff. It was the shape shown in the cabin diagram above :) One leg was much shorter than the rest.

Funny how that chair sticks with me. Can't remember much detail about that cruise, though I remember with great fondness our table mates. And the chair, with no fondness :D

I was wrong on the date, I think it was 1999.

We definitely had a chair. Ugly 1970s mustard yellow, with stains and dirt. We really thought it had been dragged into our cabin last-minute. Looked like it had been retrieved from a storage room for unwanted stuff. It was the shape shown in the cabin diagram above :) One leg was much shorter than the rest.

Funny how that chair sticks with me. Can't remember much detail about that cruise, though I remember with great fondness our table mates. And the chair, with no fondness :D

What I remember is sitting in the Hudson Lounge (I think it was) and watching the Napkin Folding Demo by Social Hostess Appolonia, Captain van Zahns's wife. I remember the very low ceiling in the MDR and the Lido food: the massive Steamship roast and the Mint Chocolate Cake, which definitely one of HAL's best dessert efforts.

What I remember is sitting in the Hudson Lounge (I think it was) and watching the Napkin Folding Demo by Social Hostess Appolonia, Captain van Zahns's wife. I remember the very low ceiling in the MDR and the Lido food: the massive Steamship roast and the Mint Chocolate Cake, which definitely one of HAL's best dessert efforts.

What lovely memories! The friend that I cruised with that time, and I, still toast the wonderful dinner companions we had on that cruise. It is a tradition -- our first night on board whatever ship we are on, whether we are sailing together or separately, we raise a glass to them. (Wow I'm getting misty-eyed!)

whogo I apologize for the thread drift!

Edited by VennDiagram

Since we are booked on the 2018 Grand Asia, I certainly hope that the Crows Nest and Library will remain. I have been told that they will remain. I have not heard what is being done with Explorations Central on these ships. Take a look at the Refurbished Rotterdam thread. Since it is the same size ship and a co-flagship with the Amsterdam, I would expect that the Amsterdam refurb will be similar.

Thanks for the comments, all. No need to apologize, VennDiagram, I enjoyed the thread drift.

The post May 10, 2018 dry dock deck plans are available, thank you, Google. My comparison with the old showed the following:

"All staterooms are equipped with interactive LED television with On Demand movies, programming and multichannel music and telephone." The old deck plan lists a flat panel TV and DVD player along with the multichannel music and telephone.

Lanai cabins are added, some D cabins become CA cabins. I count 21 of them. Goodbye 42 unreserved deck chairs.

The Queen's Lounge becomes the Main Stage. Don't know what this means, the drawings are identical. The rest of deck 4 stays the same for journeys ashore, photo gallery, art gallery, wine tasting, etc.

On deck 5, Lincoln Center Stage is added to the front half of the Explorer's Lounge, which loses its apostrophe in the new deck plan. I see no changes above deck 5, the deck plan is the same for the Crow's Nest, Lido Market, Club Hal, The Loft, spa and fitness center.

The deck plans don't show any changes I can't live with.