Maine Lobster

mcrcruiser

There will probably be lobster tail on one of the Gala Nights. No idea where it will come from, but it will be cold-water lobster, the species that lives around Maine.

I think it more likely it would be a frozen lobster tail from warm waters, not from Maine. .Lobster tail is usually on menu the last gala night as posted by Cruiser Bruce.

They are frozen and I do not care for them.

They do not taste anything like the Maine cold water lobster tails we get at home.

My lobster pound is ten minute s from my house, has live lobsters 365 days a year and all are cold water........ THAT is what lobster should be and NOT drowned in butter I don't bother now but all my adult life,made lobster in various ways, all the time. . I never have it on the ship but my last cruise, my friend, who sets some lobster traps in our local waters, felt like eating two tails , I ordered one and gave it to her and was happy to do so. She enjoyed it. I find the lobster they serve on the ships to be dry. Seeing she and her family have their own traps, they certainly know GOOD cold water lobster..

The lobster in the Pinnacle Grill (surcharge) has definitely been Maine / Atlantic Coast (cold water) lobster.

Lobster we had on the Rotterdam in Apirl/May was cold water lobster.

We live in Atlantic Canada (where Maine got it's lobster from. - they migrated there;) - sadly for you in Maine, they are starting to migrate back North up here because of global warming and your warmer waters ) and we do know our lobster.

Now, it's not fresh but it's quite edible. I certainly didn't turn it away and I am relatively fussy when it comes to lobster.

And yes, they still removed it from the shell :)

Edited by kazu

My lobster pound is ten minute s from my house, has live lobsters 365 days a year and all are cold water........ THAT is what lobster should be and NOT drowned in butter I don't bother now but all my adult life,made lobster in various ways, all the time. . I never have it on the ship but my last cruise, my friend, who sets some lobster traps in our local waters, felt like eating two tails , I ordered one and gave it to her and was happy to do so. She enjoyed it. I find the lobster they serve on the ships to be dry. Seeing she and her family have their own traps, they certainly know GOOD cold water lobster..

We have a couple of restaurants here that do serve cold Maine lobster tails -- so wonderful.

I find the ship's lobster tails are too salty and way over cooked as they sit under the dome far too long. We gave up ordering them years ago.

When the Pinnacle Grill stated to offer lobster tails for a charge, they were good for a while. Now even those have gone down hill and are small and prepped like the dining room ones.

Maine Lobster? Not a chance on any HAL ship. They will serve warm water lobster tails (small ones) on one of the gala nights. But for lovers of Maine lobster, the tails are not even close.

I always do get New England lobster before any cruise out of Ft Lauderdale. But I have to go to Kelly's Landing (a shore based restaurant near the 17th Street hotels). For years I have told friends that our best seafood dinner on a cruise is the one we have the night before we embark.

Hank

On the Zuiderdam last week the menu for Rudi's Del de Mer specifically said Maine Lobster. Two tails came on the plate. It was good but I'm used to eating lobster cold, not broiled....

Lorraine, how was the cruise? Linda and I are hoping to reschedule in February.

Maury

On the Zuiderdam last week the menu for Rudi's Del de Mer specifically said Maine Lobster. Two tails came on the plate. It was good but I'm used to eating lobster cold, not broiled....

They lie! So-called Maine or New England Lobster is actually called Homarus Americanus (American Lobster). If you have ever had it, you would know that this type of lobster has claws as well as a body. Most "lobster tails" (actually the abdomens) sold in the USA come from Rock Lobster or Spiny Lobster (which is not even lobster...but crayfish). Those that are familiar with Maine lobster know it when they see it....and you will not see it on HAL (or most other Mass market cruise lines. And no, they are not removing the claws (the best meat of the lobster) and serving the abdomens on HAL. That would be a stupid thing (since it reduces the value of the lobster).

Hank

They lie! So-called Maine or New England Lobster is actually called Homarus Americanus (American Lobster). If you have ever had it, you would know that this type of lobster has claws as well as a body. Most "lobster tails" (actually the abdomens) sold in the USA come from Rock Lobster or Spiny Lobster (which is not even lobster...but crayfish). Those that are familiar with Maine lobster know it when they see it....and you will not see it on HAL (or most other Mass market cruise lines. And no, they are not removing the claws (the best meat of the lobster) and serving the abdomens on HAL. That would be a stupid thing (since it reduces the value of the lobster).

Sal de Mer on Koningsdam serves Maine lobster. It is served with the claw meat (they remove the meat from the claw).

But yes, it's spiny lobster that served in main dining rooms. Spiny lobster is easily identified by the 4 large white spots at each corner of the shell.

All seafood served on ships will be "previously frozen"....but so is what you buy in grocery stores!

Yes fish on cruise ships is frozen and yes, lots of grocery store fish is frozen , however,not if you live in N.E. Depends where you live.... like WA s ststate, Alaska, Maine, MA etc. , Lots of fish, lobsters can be purchased fresh off the fishing boats. or certainly in dedicated seafood stores hours aftter it was pulled from the ocean. Not all fish but lots of it. The MDR lobster tails are frozen.

All seafood served on ships will be "previously frozen"....but so is what you buy in grocery stores!

You’re wrong. We live in MA...in a coastal town. Every grocery store carries fresh fish. Fresh lobster, too, from Maine and from our own waters here. There’s a gazillion lobster boats in our harbor. I NEVER buy frozen fish.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Not where we live.

We have a wholesaler that has live lobsters flown in -- they are kept in their own tanks and are also sold to a few restaurants that have tanks to hold them. And we get to see the tanks and choose which lobster we want. The tanks are usually right at the front of the restaurants.

So here's a bit of trivia to give you some insight into how weird I am. I purposely worked a weekend job (on top of my Mon-Fri job) in a butcher's and fishmonger's shop in order to learn about meat and seafood. (Yes, I am that much of a foodie.) When a fish is out of season it will only be available frozen. Conversely, when a fish is in season it will be available fresh. In addition, where you shop determines the availability of fresh vs frozen, as fresh is always available if you know where to go. If any of you have watched the great cruise ship series, you will know that fresh seafood is purchased at certain ports the same way that fresh fruit and vegetables are. So it cannot be said, definitively, that all ship seafood is frozen.

Not where we live.

We have a wholesaler that has live lobsters flown in -- they are kept in their own tanks and are also sold to a few restaurants that have tanks to hold them. And we get to see the tanks and choose which lobster we want. The tanks are usually right at the front of the restaurants.

Many of our major grocery sttores have lobster tanks at the fish countter and one chooses which they want...... some resttaurants here also have lobster tanks with live lobsters.

Highly unlikely - I have never seen Atlantic (Maine) lobster served in any HAL MDR. They have always been spiny (warm water) lobster tails.

I have, and it's been FRESH lobster. Several times on cruises calling in Bar Harbor, I have come back from shore on the tender with the lobsters for that night's dinner.

In the Caribbean, a couple of times I have had Maine lobster in the Main Dining Room, though it has been frozen tails. But in my experience it's far more likely to be spiny lobster or langoustine in the Caribbean.