Any ideas for Yucatan Progreso

Thad409

I'm looking for ideas or suggestions while we will be in Yucatan Progreso. We sail on the Triumph on June 18th it will be my wife ,son and I, my son he is 10 years old. We're looking for things to do as a family. My wife and I were in Progreso in 2008 and just hung out on the beach, we are looking for something else to do while there. Any suggestions or help would be greatly appreciated. Thank for everybody's time:)

I've always wanted to take a private tour to go swim in some of the many beautiful cenotes.

You just have to book on your own to be able to do it. And me, I don't want to risk missing the ship!

Sent from my Moto Z Droid.

There is a tour that takes you to the Mayan ruins at Dzibilchaltun. There is a really nice museum there and you get to swim in the on-site cenote which is wonderful.

We have also done a tour in Merida seeing the historic buildings.

We rode a bus to some kind of flea market area. There were people there selling excursions. We went to some salt flats and then went to some very cool ruins. We were allowed to climb up to the top. I think we paid $20 per person and we had a group of 8.

There is a tour that takes you to the Mayan ruins at Dzibilchaltun. There is a really nice museum there and you get to swim in the on-site cenote which is wonderful.

We have also done a tour in Merida seeing the historic buildings.

We did the Dzibilchaltun ruins and it was coupled with a Mexican lunch/horse show that was fantastic!

We took a private tour with yucatancenote.com That was one of the best decisions I've ever made. Check out the Trip Advisor reviews. We did the "Above & Below" tour with Rene.

Mayapan ruins (you can climb), a cenote & lunch with a Mayan family in their home. It was AMAZING. I can not say enough about the level of professionalism and personal attention you will find with this company.

• 2 weeks later...

Those of you who did the Chichen Itza/cenote tour.... What do you do with your belongings while you're swimming? Also, is there a place to change into and out of swimsuits? I'll be there in about A Week!!!!

• 2 months later...

I am sailing on Carnival Valor August of 2019 to Progreso and Cozumel out of NOLA. On the Carnival website there is a newer excursion that goes to Mayapan ruins, a hacienda and a cenote... So far it only has one review written about two weeks ago. This looks like the best option for an excursion in Progreso to me. I have found a tour company called Lawson's Yucatan Adventures (or something like that) online as well. They have pretty much nothing but 5 stars on every review site I've researched... and has the same type of excursion/tour. But they are much more expensive for just one person (solo cruiser here) their tour is also brand new and doesn't have a description on their site...

http://www.lawsonsyucatanexcursions.com/

So far from what I've read about similar excursions, this is a less touristy tour with probably less people. But I've also read there is a bit of traveling involved. ****My question is; does anyone reading this know if this excursion is being offered at the pier like at other ports of call or should I book through one of the two options I previously mentioned?**** Because as we all know the same excursion the ship and most excursion websites sell are usually found right at the port of call for MUCH cheaper lol!

ALSO... I am really interested in this Lawson tour place because of all the fantastic reviews and was wondering if anyone else who might happen to be sailing out of NOLA August 26, 2019 might want to join me, maybe get a group together and pay less per person for a unique Yucatan excursion??! ;p:cool::D

Gypsy Lady,

I am a first time cruiser who will undertake his first cruise along with his wife in 3 weeks on the Valor out of Galveston , and our excursion choice for our day in Progreso will be a tour with Lawson’s to the Uxmal ruins and the Choco Story chocolate museum near it. We just paid the deposit for it yesterday and while it is indeed an expensive tour for two, especially for two first time cruisers on their first ever viist to Mexico at that, we feel that the experience and intimacy of a private tour will be much more enjoyable than being with a huge cruise tour group being on a big bus .

I will definitely leave a review of our experience with Lawson’s, but so far in the communication I’ve had with them , everything has been handled smoothly and professionally by them.

• 3 months later...
We rode a bus to some kind of flea market area. There were people there selling excursions. We went to some salt flats and then went to some very cool ruins. We were allowed to climb up to the top. I think we paid $20 per person and we had a group of 8.

I don't understand why it seems that all the posts that I read on the Progreso board is similar to this,.,, "somekind of flea market"? Did you not know where you were going when you boarded the bus? You think you paid $20??

I don't understand why it seems that all the posts that I read on the Progreso board is similar to this,.,, "somekind of flea market"? Did you not know where you were going when you boarded the bus? You think you paid $20??

The bus from the port into town (2 miles) is free. The bus station where they drop you off is 3 blocks from the beach. The company that provides the bus service (Auto Progreso) also sells various excursions that you can learn about on their website. Right next to the bus station is the flea market.

The bus from the port into town (2 miles) is free. The bus station where they drop you off is 3 blocks from the beach. The company that provides the bus service (Auto Progreso) also sells various excursions that you can learn about on their website. Right next to the bus station is the flea market.

Thank you so much !