Silly question about keeping legs warm

Sallyandtex

• 3 weeks later...

I don't really understand why people travel with jeans. They're bulky and take up a lot of space in a suitcase, they don't dry, and you can't wash them out in your room. But if you must- tights underneath or a waterproof layer over the top should work.

I don't really understand why people travel with jeans. They're bulky and take up a lot of space in a suitcase, they don't dry, and you can't wash them out in your room. But if you must- tights underneath or a waterproof layer over the top should work.

They're comfortable and keep me warm, but not too warm. Bulkier than thinner pants, but if you need to bring another layer for over or under thinner pants, then the bulk of jeans is worth it. If I have room in my suitcase because I don't need things that other people bring, then why leave them behind? Unless they're soaking wet, they dry surprisingly fast in a non-humid climate.

We are visiting late May on Inside passage round trip.

I understood we need layers as it can be freezing one minute, and hot the next if the sun comes out no wind.

I have layers including tshirt at the base then jumper, jacket etc, but what about the lower half?

Will I be too cold in jeans?

We from Australia, hot climate so I dont have too many warm pants and with luggage restrictions dont want to take TOO much.

Will I be too hot with thermal under garment under my jeans,.,,,I am not a "cold frog" and dont want to be sweating my way thru my trip. Should I invest in some woolen pants?

Thanks!

Ok so we are from Perth and this is how we survived Alaska. Jeans, good socks, runners, long sleeve tee, normal tee, jumper. Plus gloves and beanies which we bought on the ship really cheap as it was the last cruise for the season. However the best thing we bought with us was those really thin roll up rain coats. That kept the wind off, and really light to roll up in the bag when not needed.

We loved Alaska and can’t wait to do it again. Our daughters still rave about it.

Ok so we are from Perth and this is how we survived Alaska. Jeans, good socks, runners, long sleeve tee, normal tee, jumper. Plus gloves and beanies which we bought on the ship really cheap as it was the last cruise for the season. However the best thing we bought with us was those really thin roll up rain coats. That kept the wind off, and really light to roll up in the bag when not needed.

We loved Alaska and can’t wait to do it again. Our daughters still rave about it.

Thank you, I went and got a longer raincoat with hood, zip off quick dry pants , 3/4 pants the same fabric all on sale, woolen socks x 2, waterproof sketchers, long sleeve quick dry tshirt, gloves, beanie and scarf!

I have also thin light angora jumper if needing an in-between layer.

The long coat should keep my legs warm and dry from the wind and rain.

I will also pack my tshirts shorts etc and my JEANS! I love my jeans , even if just for boat days I can dress them up for dinner 😁

Thank you, I went and got a longer raincoat with hood, zip off quick dry pants , 3/4 pants the same fabric all on sale, woolen socks x 2, waterproof sketchers, long sleeve quick dry tshirt, gloves, beanie and scarf!

I have also thin light angora jumper if needing an in-between layer.

The long coat should keep my legs warm and dry from the wind and rain.

I will also pack my tshirts shorts etc and my JEANS! I love my jeans , even if just for boat days I can dress them up for dinner 😁

We spent 4 months on holidays, from visiting a reeling cold Melbourne, the US Summer temps and heatwave they experienced, to Alaska, Caribbean and cruising the Pacific. We had to make sure we packed for all seasons without packing too much and having to lug it around while travelling!

We spent 4 months on holidays, from visiting a reeling cold Melbourne, the US Summer temps and heatwave they experienced, to Alaska, Caribbean and cruising the Pacific. We had to make sure we packed for all seasons without packing too much and having to lug it around while travelling!

We've done a similar trip, but compacted into 7 weeks: rainy fall days in Boston, then same in London, then hot and humid in Kenya and Tanzania for 3 weeks, back to England, which by this time it's cold winter, and then New York City--snowy winter. All 4 of us were thankful we had our jeans.

Years ago we signed up for a 5 day 'hike with a naturalist' at Yellowstone NP thru the Yellowstone Foundation. Before the trip they sent us a list of clothing suggestions and specifically warned against jeans as if they become wet, and you are stuck outside, hypothermia can result. Having said that, we purchased rain pants to wear over jeans and have only once needed them in the last ten years. However, for that one time, I was really glad to have them.

Our cruise was the first sailing of the season, early May. I brought lightweight tights to wear under my jeans. On the ship (moving) I was glad I had them, interestingly, in land they weren't needed, even in the rain in Ketchikan. Layers for sure, and warm socks. I wore "Totes" rain boots that worked for the entire trip (similar to these: https://www.amazon.com/Totes-Womens-Marie-Ankle-High-Synthetic/dp/B01KP67IHG/ref=sr_1_6?ie=UTF8&qid=1521438995&sr=8-6&keywords=totes+rain+boots)

I will go in early June, have no idea yet. I am from Thailand which is such a hot country. Never even get cold here. Find it difficult to manage for my Alaska trip. It sounds busy to dress in layers, put on then take off then put on. Can i find some rain pants and rain gear easily along the street shops in Seattle ?

Sent from my iPad using Forums

I will go in early June, have no idea yet. I am from Thailand which is such a hot country. Never even get cold here. Find it difficult to manage for my Alaska trip. It sounds busy to dress in layers, put on then take off then put on. Can i find some rain pants and rain gear easily along the street shops in Seattle ? Sent from my iPad using Forums

We were in Thailand last year for 2 weeks and had a wonderful time, except for being uncomfortably hot the entire time! I hope you enjoy Alaska as much as we enjoyed Thailand.

If you're downtown Seattle, I doubt you will find inexpensive raingear in a shop. But perhaps someone local to the area can fill you in.

You want something like this, which can be found in Walmarts, Cabelas, Bass Pro. There are probably other places, too, but I'm not sure where that would be in the Seattle area:

https://www.cabelas.com/product/FROGG-TOGGS-WOMENS-EMERGENCY-RAIN-JACKET/2453474.uts?productVariantId=4951587&WT.tsrc=PPC&WT.mc_id=GoogleProductAds&WT.z_mc_id1=04656505&rid=20&ds_rl=1252079&gclid=Cj0KCQjwv73VBRCdARIsAOnG8u3jJ8STdQZejREz56Gpf-P0PwVAvOBb3UNx_qfza-GUKf-43ko12PYaApzVEALw_wcB&gclsrc=aw.ds

This one is so cheap I think I'll buy one just to keep in my backpack.

We are on an 11 day Princess cruisetour, land first (Fairbanks), starting June 30, 2018. What should we expect as far as temperatures and clothing needs? None in our party have ever been to Alaska before. Thanks!

We are on an 11 day Princess cruisetour, land first (Fairbanks), starting June 30, 2018. What should we expect as far as temperatures and clothing needs? None in our party have ever been to Alaska before. Thanks!

If I did this right, you should be able to see historical highs and lows here for Fairbanks, esp. the last 5 years.

As you can see by the variability, no one's anecdotal account of the weather for their 3 days in Fairbanks is going to answer your question. One thing that you can't see in the information in the link is smoke. Fairbanks is subject sometimes to wildfire smoke that can curb your enjoyment. Many wonderfully warm days have a thunderstorm in late afternoon. My niece is getting married on June 30 in Fairbanks...an outdoor wedding. The concern is have the wedding start late enough to get everything ready, but early enough to finish before a thunderstorm. Tight timing.

https://www.wunderground.com/history/airport/PAFB/2018/07/01/PlannerHistory.html?dayend=01&monthend=07&yearend=2018&req_city=Fairbanks&req_state=AK&req_statename=Alaska&reqdb.zip=99701&reqdb.magic=1&reqdb.wmo=99999

Here's Anchorage: https://www.wunderground.com/history/airport/PAMR/2018/7/4/PlannerHistory.html?dayend=7&monthend=7&yearend=2018&req_city=Anchorage&req_state=AK&req_statename=Alaska&reqdb.zip=99501&reqdb.magic=1&reqdb.wmo=99999

If I did this right, you should be able to see historical highs and lows here for Fairbanks, esp. the last 5 years.

As you can see by the variability, no one's anecdotal account of the weather for their 3 days in Fairbanks is going to answer your question. One thing that you can't see in the information in the link is smoke. Fairbanks is subject sometimes to wildfire smoke that can curb your enjoyment. Many wonderfully warm days have a thunderstorm in late afternoon. My niece is getting married on June 30 in Fairbanks...an outdoor wedding. The concern is have the wedding start late enough to get everything ready, but early enough to finish before a thunderstorm. Tight timing.

https://www.wunderground.com/history/airport/PAFB/2018/07/01/PlannerHistory.html?dayend=01&monthend=07&yearend=2018&req_city=Fairbanks&req_state=AK&req_statename=Alaska&reqdb.zip=99701&reqdb.magic=1&reqdb.wmo=99999

Here's Anchorage: https://www.wunderground.com/history/airport/PAMR/2018/7/4/PlannerHistory.html?dayend=7&monthend=7&yearend=2018&req_city=Anchorage&req_state=AK&req_statename=Alaska&reqdb.zip=99501&reqdb.magic=1&reqdb.wmo=99999

Thanks! I know that packing for this will be kind of a crap shoot!

We were in Thailand last year for 2 weeks and had a wonderful time, except for being uncomfortably hot the entire time! I hope you enjoy Alaska as much as we enjoyed Thailand.

If you're downtown Seattle, I doubt you will find inexpensive raingear in a shop. But perhaps someone local to the area can fill you in.

You want something like this, which can be found in Walmarts, Cabelas, Bass Pro. There are probably other places, too, but I'm not sure where that would be in the Seattle area:

https://www.cabelas.com/product/FROGG-TOGGS-WOMENS-EMERGENCY-RAIN-JACKET/2453474.uts?productVariantId=4951587&WT.tsrc=PPC&WT.mc_id=GoogleProductAds&WT.z_mc_id1=04656505&rid=20&ds_rl=1252079&gclid=Cj0KCQjwv73VBRCdARIsAOnG8u3jJ8STdQZejREz56Gpf-P0PwVAvOBb3UNx_qfza-GUKf-43ko12PYaApzVEALw_wcB&gclsrc=aw.ds

This one is so cheap I think I'll buy one just to keep in my backpack.

Thank you

It is too hot absolutely, now 97 Fahrenheit, the hottest in my hometown is 106 which will be that so soon. Getting hotter ever year. Sound so bad.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

• 3 months later...

We are back, sadly.

What a wonderful trip! The Rocky Mts also fabulous. Trip of a life time.

Probably the best purchase I made was my long waterproof jacket from Paddy Palin. It was lined and had furry pockets and a tuckaway hood.

It kept my legs warm and served as a great top layer in the rain, snow and wind. Any moisture would shake off, unlike a normal plastic raincoat, and we saw people with ponchos flapping around in the wind they decided to discard.

Some really cold snowy days I had on a woollen beany , hoody and then jacket hood, together with tights under quick dry pants, gloves I was toasty and warm.

The problem with Alaska cruise and much of the other touring in cold climates is that inside the boat and indoors anywhere it is very warm, too hot in a jumper even so you get too hot if you don't do the LAYERS.

Can't wait to return to Alaska and Canada. The scenery WOW

We were in Alaska earlier this year. We began in Anchorage on May 28th and stayed there five days then boarded the Star Princess and made our way south to Vancouver.

My two cents regarding pants is it depends on your activities and natural tolerance for having cold legs. Personally, my legs don’t get cold as quickly as my torso, so I just wore jeans most of the time. I did take a pair of velour pants that I wore on the overcast day in Glacier Bay. They were fine. If you are going to be outdoors hiking, kayaking, zip lining, glacier treking, etc. then it might make sense to get some rain pants.

Yes, if soaked jeans can get uncomfortable, but both of the guides we had in Skagway and Ketchikan wore them, and they live in Alaska year round. Our Ketchikan guide was born there. So, jeans are perfectly ok.

As to their bulk, jeans aren’t that bulky to me, and you can wear them more than once, so you don’t have to take seven pairs for a weeklong cruise.

I personally decided not to buy clothes for the trip I couldn’t wear at home. I opted out of rain pants but did buy a nice lightweight waterproof rain jacket with a hood from Columbia. It was used daily as my outer shell. Sometimes I kept it on, sometimes I didn’t. But it was easy to was up and carry in a bag if I wasn’t wearing it.

Layers really are key. I took a couple of short sleeved t-shirts, several long sleeved lightweight shirts, a couple of thicker long sleeved shirts, a puffy vest, my rain jacket, a pancho (in case it got really rainy and I needed sometime sit on or wrap around me (never used it), a knit cap, a couple of scarves, and gloves.

I did NOT bring wool socks, because I will never wear them at home. I was fine every day with my thick-soled cotton socks I normally wear and tennis shoes.

I brought mostly jeans and also a pair of velour pants (which are very warm). I also brought one pair of Capri pants and one pair of shorts. You may want these type of things on the ship for just being comfy.

I did not bring any long underwear or anything to wear as an under layer. My mom did and used them on glacier days or when the forecast called for them.

The coldest weather we had was in the 50s (Fahrenheit), felt colder when on the water, if windy, or if sun was behind clouds.

Unless you live in a tropical climate

That doesn’t really have seasons, you should be able to wear your basic pants, t-shirt, sweatshirt type clothes you already have or can easily find and be fine. No heavy coats are needed unless you are very cold natured. Wool socks are optional, but thin trouser socks are out; wear thicker socks. Gloves and a hat are a good bet if you will be on deck during glacier days or have any water activities planned like whale watching. Scarves are up to preference. Undergarments like cuddle duds are good for the cold natured people but not required if you aren’t.

One worthwhile investment: a good rain jacket or rain gear that is lightweight, breathable, and waterproof w/ a hood—preferably something you can use at home year round.

• 4 months later...