Belize safe??

rabbit72

Well Belize authorities reported it so best you continue to stick you head in the ground!

What head in what ground? You can live in fear all you want but you aren't comprehending the information that's being given you. Given the expats and tourists that visit Belize City every single day you're being too delicate. Like I said best you stay on the ship.

What head in what ground? You can live in fear all you want but you aren't comprehending the information that's being given you. Given the expats and tourists that visit Belize City every single day you're being too delicate. Like I said best you stay on the ship.

The expats and tourists know enough to stay out of the port area and surrounding areas! So head in the ground!

The expats and tourists know enough to stay out of the port area and surrounding areas! So head in the ground!

That's not true lots and lots of tourists go into that area every day not only from the cruise ships but other tourists. People routinely go to the water taxis and the Airfield to fly out to the cayes literally all the time.

Probably best you avoid cruises altogether... https://www.travelchannel.com/interests/cruises/articles/7-things-the-cruise-lines-wont-tell-you

Edited by geeko1

I just booked a thanksgiving cruise and one of the port is the city of belize. There are no shore excursions listed on the itinerary for booking at this port. This will be my second cruise ( so I am a newbie) so I was wondering if they will add them later. Any help or info would be greatly appreciated

I just booked a thanksgiving cruise and one of the port is the city of belize. There are no shore excursions listed on the itinerary for booking at this port. This will be my second cruise ( so I am a newbie) so I was wondering if they will add them later. Any help or info would be greatly appreciated

which cruise line?

some cruise lines do not list excursions until just before the cruise, some have them listed over a year out.

• 2 weeks later...

Was there 3/22. didn't feel unsafe at all on the pier area where the shops are. Took a van tour to the country (which is nothing to see) and within the city we saw lots of schools, working people, shop keepers etc. Our van driver was courteous and said that crime wasn't a big deal (but really, what else did we expect him to say?) and said that his country depends on tourism and the citizens recognize that. But, there were parts of the city that i certainly would not want to walk alone in, no different than in the US. One curious thing: on the way out of the city, we stopped at a check point and our driver told the guard that we were going on a country tour and there were 4 of us. Later, the driver passed another check point which he said was to check license, insurance and such, but we didn't stop as he was "current". We passed several embassies and there were no guards or signs of life, either. The biggest disappointment to me was considering the tender times (and waiting for them to fill before heading to ship), we felt that we didn't have enough time to see much. But, then again, in Belize City, I think we saw what there was to offer.

Was there 3/22. didn't feel unsafe at all on the pier area where the shops are. Took a van tour to the country (which is nothing to see) and within the city we saw lots of schools, working people, shop keepers etc. Our van driver was courteous and said that crime wasn't a big deal (but really, what else did we expect him to say?) and said that his country depends on tourism and the citizens recognize that. But, there were parts of the city that i certainly would not want to walk alone in, no different than in the US. One curious thing: on the way out of the city, we stopped at a check point and our driver told the guard that we were going on a country tour and there were 4 of us. Later, the driver passed another check point which he said was to check license, insurance and such, but we didn't stop as he was "current". We passed several embassies and there were no guards or signs of life, either. The biggest disappointment to me was considering the tender times (and waiting for them to fill before heading to ship), we felt that we didn't have enough time to see much. But, then again, in Belize City, I think we saw what there was to offer.

Thanks for sharing with us. I really want to see the howler monkeys when we go but the cruise is not until Thanksgiving. There are other tour excursions listed on the ncl but nothing for our stop in Belize City.

The shops area of the port of Belize is plenty safe. This time, we just took a tender and walked around the shops for a bit before heading back to the boat. Last time I was in Belize I took an excursion across the country. Like any other Caribbean/Central American destination, there are nice areas and not so nice areas.

To each their own, but I'd stick to excursions or the port if you are on your own. I want my vacation to be a vacation, not having to worry about getting lost in a sketchy part of a town I'm not familiar with.

The shops area of the port of Belize is plenty safe. This time, we just took a tender and walked around the shops for a bit before heading back to the boat. Last time I was in Belize I took an excursion across the country. Like any other Caribbean/Central American destination, there are nice areas and not so nice areas.

To each their own, but I'd stick to excursions or the port if you are on your own. I want my vacation to be a vacation, not having to worry about getting lost in a sketchy part of a town I'm not familiar with.

Post 15 covered it, no need for your paranoia. Did you see the museums and cathedral?

Post 15 covered it, no need for your paranoia. Did you see the museums and cathedral?

Paranoia? Nah. Foreign country = exercise caution. Using common sense, yes.

You can pump Belize all you want. I've been to many places domestic and abroad. Seen many places nice and not so nice.

Belize may have pretty water, but you won't find me moving there anytime soon.

Nor defending it's safety as if I have a vested interest in it.

There's a reason they have commandos with machine guns, it's not just for picture taking with all the nice tourists. ;)

Paranoia? Nah. Foreign country = exercise caution. Using common sense, yes.

You can pump Belize all you want. I've been to many places domestic and abroad. Seen many places nice and not so nice.

Belize may have pretty water, but you won't find me moving there anytime soon.

Nor defending it's safety as if I have a vested interest in it.

There's a reason they have commandos with machine guns, it's not just for picture taking with all the nice tourists. ;)

The difference between you and the thousands of expats that do move to Belize is your paranoia

The difference between you and the thousands of expats that do move to Belize is your paranoia

What's your point? There's a million expats that live in Mexico. That's doesn't make that country much safer either.

But again, all of the commandos in that country are just there for the tourists pictures as well. :confused::rolleyes:

I'm on the NCL Breakaway Thanksgiving cruise that stops in Belize City and I really want to see the Howler monkeys.We love nature and animals but NCL does NOT have any excursion scheduled for Belize City yet. I am concerned because all other ports have excursions listed. Can we book this privately?

We are looking to book the Magic and I have heard different opinions of Belize. I was told it didn't seem safe to go outside the port gates and also heard that its beautiful. So just looking for some other opinions....Thanks.

Friends of ours were there 2 months ago and had no problem with safety.

I can not wait to visit Belize crime is every where including America. I'm from a relatively safe rural area but love travel to larger cities. I know when I was in NYC and Los Angles there were differently areas that were sketchy. I want to see and experience other cultures in the world. I plan on using common sense and watching my surroundings while in Belize.

I can not wait to visit Belize crime is every where including America. I'm from a relatively safe rural area but love travel to larger cities. I know when I was in NYC and Los Angles there were differently areas that were sketchy. I want to see and experience other cultures in the world. I plan on using common sense and watching my surroundings while in Belize.

You should spend some time with the garifuna of Southern Belize. Do some Googling. But you won't do it from a cruise

You should spend some time with the garifuna of Southern Belize. Do some Googling. But you won't do it from a cruise

If we are coming in on a cruise though, what would you recommend seeing outside of the port area? What is within walking distance or short cab ride in Belize City?

If we are coming in on a cruise though, what would you recommend seeing outside of the port area? What is within walking distance or short cab ride in Belize City?

There are a couple of museums and Cathedral in the town itself. The ruins at Altun ha are about an hour out of town. I think there is a tour at the belikin brewery. Travellers Liquors Heritage Center (rum)

• 3 weeks later...
The two Belizeans I've seen on these boards and rude and seem to be on quite the high horse. If you think you're going to shame westerners for bringing much needed tourism to the area you're going to have to excuse me while I laugh.

High horse???? Rude? For pointing out the dangers of being a tourist in America? Much needed tourism to the area? Yes, we could use more tourism, just not cruise tourism. That brings very little revenue into Belize. Mainly because of people regurgitating the cruise hard line about how dangerous Belize is and cruisers are only safe if they go on cruiseline-sponsored excursions.

Why would you laugh? What point are you trying to make?

Belize is not for everyone, and for some spending the day on the boat should definitely be a consideration, but not necessarily because you are coming into Belize, but because a day on the ship isn't all bad. If you think you will be afraid, trust me, no one on a message board will likely reassure you that you will not be afraid. If you were afraid and you post on a message board that you were afraid, you will likely also alert cruisers who are looking for a reason to be afraid and believe the cruiseline hype to get everyone to spend their cruise dollars with them and not the local economy.

Janice

• 1 month later...
FYI Belize is not an island. It is a nation in Central America, formerly called British Honduras. There are lots of good things to do there including cave tubing, snorkeling, and visiting some amazing Mayan ruins. However, there are no beaches except for the ones on the cays. Enjoy![/quote

I should have worded it deifferently...I know it's not an island, I just meant we have been to a lot of the ports and wouldn't be shocked at most of it.

What are "the Cays"? Sorry if this is a stupid question. :D:DThank you!