News announcement from Silversea - newspaper downloads on board - industry firs

57 varieties

Thanks 57 Varities for the link.

This service was available to us on our Jun 9 voyage on the Cloud. However, I had no idea it was free. There was no mention in the onboard materials, or the Chronicles. I just assumed there was a cost to the service as it would consume purchased internet minutes and was only accessible via the login page of the Cloud's wifi system.

I'll have to check it out the next time I'm aboard!

My read of the news release indicates the "Streaming Movies" (and by inference, the newspapers) will be available from a sort of "electronic library." The BW consumption (mobile device to ship's router) has never been an issue. That's a piece of cake (coverage in a big metal box is a bit of an issue though:o). The BW issue has always been the satellite uplink. So if I'm right...big if;), there shouldn't be a BW problem. Ships downloads newspapers in at their convenience (or their SA allocates the necessary BW) and make them available to the pax over a Local Wireless network. Better than killing trees making a hard copy of newspapers and is a lot less labor intensive also. Seems SS may be leading the way for cruise lines to join the late 20th Century in IT:eek:

Greg

I wonder if they'll still have the option of getting the paper delivered to your door and will they cut back on the VOD in the room?

I've rarely used the VOD in the room as there are no headphones...

I have a friend who is currently on the Cloud. He says it is working very well. No Internet connection needed.
Very cool indeed! Now I really question why we were encouraged to view the nice DVD collection when we were onboard, when we could have watched a new movie instead.

• 2 weeks later...

Yes, this was new on our just completed Cloud voyage. When you go to your browser on your laptop, I-pad, etc., there is a new sleek page which appears and allows you to choose to see the streaming movies, etc., or go to the internet. if you choose the latter, you are switched to the usual internet log-in, where you buy or use internet time. The streaming items don't require you to use your paid internet time. They did not provide information or instruction about this, and I don't know if it was available on the ship computers- doubt it since they can't have people sitting in the internet center watching movies for hours.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

Archived