Silver Galapagos short review

5waldos

This is the first report that I have seen, copied from Trip Advisor (not mine- we don't sail until Feb).

"27. Re: Silver Galapagos with Silversea Cruises

Oct 21, 2013, 11:47 AM

"We are on the silver Galapagos right now.. At first, it seems a little disappointing because the boat is not new and doesn't have the amenities you would expect from silver seas. HOWEVER, the boat has grown on us and we are having the most amazing experience. The naturalist are so good and very knowledgeable and we have made many friends on the boat from all over the world. Many Brits, Canadians , Aussies and Americans. We have 16 people from Finland and several from south Africa . Food is delicious and the crew are all from the islands. Boat gets an A- and service and food and experience gets a+.

We snorkeled with sharks, manta rays, penguins sea lions and many more things. Love it here."

http://www.tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g294310-i6637-k6259952-o20-Silver_Galapagos_with_Silversea_Cruises-Galapagos_Islands.html

Thank you for posting that- wonderful site! I will follow it with interest.

Have a wonderful time and will look forward to your thoughts when you return! You are on the North/Cental itinerary- will be especially interested in your experiences since that is the one we are on.

Edited by 5waldos

Great questions- maybe we should start a Questions for the S. Galapagos thread so that when one of us finally sails they will have a heads up about some of the things we want to know about. I am curious about whether they in fact have a glass bottom boat, and what time they get back to Baltros.

Well… hopefully all your questions will be answered within a few weeks. We will be on the ship in two weeks with one person with a trick knee and another with an artificial leg that he can’t get it wet. Hopefully seeing if we can unload him on shore during the wet landings. Will also find out about guests that want to take shorter hikes… On the raincoat situation; one paper says there in the room to use and another says to bring one. We will be bringing ponchos that easily fit it any backpack. Silversea has posted on their expedition website, under ” voyage journals”, day-by-day at some of the islands. You will get a better look at the backpacks they provide and the type of terrain is there. If you read the post it does include a fair amount of bus rides and what islands have power walks. Around Nov 18-20, should have a ship review done on Cruise Critics.

I suspect the backpacks are the same type as on explorer. If so the are very adequate for a rain jacket, your water bottle (has a pocket specifically for this on the outside.), camera and some other stuff.

It did not rain on us when we were in the Galapagos at all, but can't say it never happens. Most islands are more on the dry side though.

... Silversea has posted on their expedition website, under ” voyage journals”, day-by-day at some of the islands. You will get a better look at the backpacks they provide and the type of terrain is there. If you read the post it does include a fair amount of bus rides and what islands have power walks. Around Nov 18-20, should have a ship review done on Cruise Critics.

Thank you for mentioning this journal- hadn't seen it. Great reading.

headed for the journal too - sounds great. rain jacket will have to be brought along as we are doing the pre cruise 4 day to Machu Picchu and I believe their weather at that time of the year is quite rainy (or so i have been told). I will just bring a pancho though. Just thinking about the snorkeling - what clothing would be need on the Galapagos besides a swim suit? The water will be cold and we do have the leggings and top, and SS says they have wet suits. Hopefully that will be enuf./

They have wetsuits, and I assume that will be enough. Otherwise- isn't there supposed to be a glass bottom boat? Feb, when we will be there, is the warmest time of the year so maybe we'll be ok.

and I don't need 90 degree water- 85 will suit me fine.

Can I whine for just a moment? WHERE ARE ALL THE PEOPLE WHO HAVE TAKEN THIS TRIP!! No trip reports. None. :mad:

Obviously they are not Cruise Critic people -- there are those out there you know.....although I can't imagine why;)

I can't figure out how they even knew about the trips- I have scoured the internet- they are not computer people. There simply are no reviews out there.

Oh well- they probably don't count then. They took the trip, obviously, because someone randomly told them to. I wouldn't want to know what they thought anyway. So there! ;)

Edited by 5waldos

Obviously they are not Cruise Critic people -- there are those out there you know.....although I can't imagine why;)

Should be a like function.

I have been an active trip reporter including cruise before my wife got me hooked on Cruise Critic.So I bet my review of our Galapagos experience didn't rate highly on a google search.it was 5 years ago.It was on a smaller boat.But the Galapagos is about the animals and experiences.

If you want to read about our experiences the report is here-

http://www.australianfrequentflyer.com.au/community/trip-reports-and-trip-photos/from-broken-hill-amazon-jungle-13855.html

Unfortunately before I mastered the art of posting photos.The Galapagos starts at post 22.

I can't figure out how they even knew about the trips- I have scoured the internet- they are not computer people. There simply are no reviews out there.

Oh well- they probably don't count then. They took the trip, obviously, because someone randomly told them to. I wouldn't want to know what they thought anyway. So there! ;)

Just to be clear- this was a joke. It was not to be taken seriously.

I was in the Galapagos last April and there were areas where the water was very cold and other areas not so cold, but having said that, I needed a wetsuit the entire time because I hate water that is colder than a bath :o Others seemed to be quite happy diving in without wetsuits. I would always opt for a wetsuit just to be on the safe side.

Cheers

Jennifer

Since we are all looking for info. Check out this link http://www.fromthedeckchair.com/ he just posted is preparing stuff to get on the Silver Galapagos. He is on the voyage one week before us. I will miss is live blog due to we will be on the pre-cruise machu pichhu.

Sadly he will not be taking this trip he has just announced- ear infection so not able to bly. I am very disappointed- was very much looking forward to his reports. :(

Just saw that myself a few hours ago. Was looking forward to seeing the first day of his review before we fly to Lima to settle in for our pre-cruise excursion. I will try to open up a running post when we get onboard on November 9th. Will also be working on a full review and if all goes well, will post it prior to leaving the ship.

to Carefreecruise: would it be possible for you to include some impressions etc. of your precruise excursion? I believe we may be taking the same one - going to Machu Picchu for a 4 day excursion. Your cruise info will be so much appreciated!