Silversea TA in November

2MidwestCruisers

We're thrilled to have booked the SS Cloud for this November's transAtlantic voyage. New to Silversea, however - and we might have a question from time to time. Like these...

Reservations are needed far in advance only for Le Champagne, is that correct?

Weather, third week in November, heading westward from Funchal to Ft. Lauderdale: what shall we plan for? :confused: Seems it could be warm, if the captain swings southerly…it could be cool…it could be choppy, or calm. Bring everything?

Average age on a Silversea voyage? Do you think it differs from Seabourn?

Thoughts on best suite location? :rolleyes:

Formal nights…I wonder how many on this 9-day cruise?

Thanks for your input. :)

Sailed Seabourn Odyssey TA Spring 2010

Edited by 2MidwestCruisers

• 5 weeks later...

I don't recall having any difficulty booking Le Champagne. With the additional cost they had to do some heavy recruiting to get people to sign up on my last cruise!

My husband Mark and I are also on the T/A. There is a roll call if you want to sign up to get more of your questions answered! http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2038970

According to the Silversea website for a 15 night cruise we should have 3 formal, 8 informal and 4 casual nights.

This will be my first fall (westbound) T/A so can't advise on weather. Have done a few spring T/A's.

Have you registered for the Meet & Mingle party?

2MidwestCruisers,

Welcome to Cruise Critic and in particular welcome to the Silversea Cruise Critic (CC) board. Also, congratulations on booking your first Silversea crossing--we think you will have a blast.

Since Jan 2010, Ida and I have thoroughly enjoyed our five Silversea crossings (three Westerly crosses on Spirit, two easterly crossings--one this April on the Cloud, the other last April on the Spirit). We much prefer westerly crossings (Europe to USA) as we generally have five 25 hour days vs 4-5 23 hour days on easterly crossings. We especially relish the cruise rhythm on Silversea crossings so much, this week we booked a 19 day Pacific cross on the Spirit for next March (Fiji to LA).

Silversea does a very good job on hiring interesting enrichment speakers for crossings--y'all will enjoy talks by a retired NFL referee, retired Major General (Security Expert), an Art Historian and a Maritime Historian.

If you have not already read the FAQ, y'all might find some useful general Silversea information on this page taken from the SS website on Frequently Asked ?:

http://www.silversea.com/faq/

You can now book dining reservations online (go to mysilversea tab (if you have not registered yet for mysilversea--you will need to do so before making restaurant or spa reservations)on the SS homepage) and click on dining tab to reserve an eventing dinner at Le Champagne. If you prefer, you can wait until you board and have your butler make your dining reservations (e.g., Le Champagne, La Terraza, Hot Rocks)

For best suite locations on the Cloud--we like mid-ship deck six for our fav Cloud suites on crossings (e.g. between 626-633) we were in 630 this April. Excellent location for short walk to Reception, Shore Concierge, Show lounge; just one floor up to La Terraza (for buffet breakfast, lunch, exceptional Italian set menu for dinner)

Pls see these SS Cruise Critic threads reflecting life on board the Cloud this April (Ft. Lauderdale to Barcelona):

http://50.57.1.63/showthread.php?t=2023074

Pls see this SS CC threads for life on board the Spirit November 2013 (Funchal to Ft. Lauderdale):

http://cruiseforums.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1941303&page=2

Hope this helps. Most importantly enjoy your Cloud crossing in November, we look forward to reading your crossing posts.

Edited by WesW

Wes, what a thoughtful response to our questions! Thank you especially for the links - have had a delightful time this morning reading your crossing posts. Gorgeous photos! Love the idea that we will enjoy the bonus of 25-hour days, we hadn't thought of that! I have made some dining reservations "just in case." Ahhh...sea days are so relaxing and there are so many people to meet on board! So looking forward to experiencing the SS cruise rhythm - love the relaxing sea days! We have a midship veranda suite reserved, port side, within the range you suggest but a little lower deck. Are the verandas different dependent upon the level (sun exposure, etc.?) Just curious!

Suzanne, thank you! But link is for the Spirit...and we're on the cloud. Will certainly be signing up on the roll call, however, and look forward to meeting your friends, duct tape!

Hello, 2 Midwest Cruisers - when do you arrive in Funchal? We plan on arriving a few days early, and want to do some tours. Would you be interested in joining us? I have been in contact with several companies and am starting to formulate a plan. Mainly looking at the highest rated on Trip Advisor. Really looking forward to this cruise - the Cloud is one of our favorite ships, and crossings are the BEST (in our opinion)!

...We plan on arriving a few days early, and want to do some tours. Would you be interested in joining us? I have been in contact with several companies and am starting to formulate a plan. Mainly looking at the highest rated on Trip Advisor. Really looking forward to this cruise - the Cloud is one of our favorite ships, and crossings are the BEST (in our opinion)!

Hello WinWin! Sorry to say that our time is limited; we're flying into Funchal the morning of departure. Cruising around work schedules, ugh! But your plan is good, and that's exactly what we would have done--love TripAdvisor and use it often! Thank you for the suggestion and can't wait to meet you on board!

We were in Funchal on an eastward TA not too many years ago (yes, crossings ARE the best!); be sure to save some time to simply stroll the quaint streets--plenty to see and explore.

Edited by 2MidwestCruisers

Wish you were coming in earlier - but do understand having to work around schedules! Any hints regarding great places we should not miss in Funchal? We have never been there before, and are really looking forward to our visit.

Don't forget to register for the Meet and Mingle for our crossing! Coattails got it going and we have signed up, so I hope you are also signed up. Silversea puts on a lovely get-together, so don't miss it!

Duct tape - are Coattails the friends you know who will be on board? If not, please do contact them and encourage them to sign up for the Meet and Mingle!

Looking forward to meeting you onboard, 2MidwestCruisers!

WinWin,

A couple of suggestions for Funchal if this is your first time there.

Take the tramway up to the top for beautiful views, stroll around a bit and then take the basket ride halfway back down. You will be steered down the winding streets by a capable guide and it is a thrilling ride. You'll have to find a taxi to get you the rest of the way down but it's a fun thing to do for a first timer.

Check out Reid's Palace Hotel, even have tea there, for a taste of the British Colonial times. It's a beautiful vintage hotel and worth seeing.

Stop and have a cappuccino along the main street in one of the cafes and watch the passing crowd. Sometimes there are musicians playing.

Go to the market (it's right near the entry to the tramway) and for ten or fifteen dollars buy yourself a big bouquet of fresh flowers to take back to the ship. They will be lovely in your suite for the crossing and your butler will get you a vase.

Enjoy!

Thanks so much for the advice on Funchal - I have printed out your comments and we will certainly try them! I was a bit surprised to see your comments about flowers - I've never even thought about that - but what a marvelous idea! We actually had Reid's Palace booked, then decided to do an apartment in the middle of town where we could experience the local culture. Perhaps we were wrong!

Thank you - appreciate your input!!

Wripro beat me to it, with much the same answer.

We enjoyed the tram ride not only to view the surrounding scenery (gorgeous) but also for the look downward, directly into the backyards of the homes along the way. Not meaning to sound like a voyeur, certainly, but it's a view of real life in Funchal that I doubt you will otherwise be allowed to see. Much to consider along the way. Intriguing! At the top, we happened upon a wedding in the church...and visitors were allowed to peek in. Such fun! We saw a few adorable school children along the walkway in their school uniforms, supposedly selling something, but primarily just being kids, and we spent some time strolling around up there - and a bit later, after taking the tram back down, enjoyed the streets and gardens in town. Outdoor cafés, lovely food smells...I think you will enjoy yourselves without overplanning.

Although, isn't the planning a wonderful preliminary to the trip? Nothing like a good dose of happy anticipation.

Thanks so much for the advice on Funchal - I have printed out your comments and we will certainly try them! I was a bit surprised to see your comments about flowers - I've never even thought about that - but what a marvelous idea! We actually had Reid's Palace booked, then decided to do an apartment in the middle of town where we could experience the local culture. Perhaps we were wrong!

Thank you - appreciate your input!!

do try a levada walk, these are narrow walkways running beside irrigation channels - I know, sounds ultra exciting, but they are a very good way of seeing a less touristy side of the island. There are lots of them all over the island, some along very steep, precipitous slopes but several on the outskirts of Funchal and which will bring you back into the city. If you are the world's laziest person, as I am, take a cab to one of the starting points and then walk down.

I would also normally recommend going to see the madeira house Barros e Sousa, in the centre of Funchal, the last of the traditional wine makers. I understand, however, that the business was sold to D'oliveira at the end of last year and the winery may be re-opend now as a museum. It is worth checking to see the state of play as it was a fascinating place and the wines are/were superb. If you come across any of their wines, marked ABSL probably, snap them up.

Rp