VH, deck 4, on Koningsdam. Partially obstructed view.

BACHtravels

I am currently on Koningsdam and have one regret I want to share. We booked a VH cabin and wound up in 4103. There has been a lot of discussion on how much of the life boats you can see from this deck, in this area. In my opinion, it completely has ruined balcony time and the view. It's impossible to get photos without the obstruction. I would never, ever book this particular stateroom again.

I am currently on Koningsdam and have one regret I want to share. We booked a VH cabin and wound up in 4103. There has been a lot of discussion on how much of the life boats you can see from this deck, in this area. In my opinion, it completely has ruined balcony time and the view. It's impossible to get photos without the obstruction. I would never, ever book this particular stateroom again.

Thank you. Many of us have been waiting for this info. Any possibility of pictures?

Sorry you are disappointed in your room. Is the issue that it was advertised as Partially Obstructed, and what you have is more like fully obstructed? Looks like they don't differentiate between partial and full obstructions in that VH category, but the deck plans make it look like some rooms might peek between the lifeboats.

We had a partially obstructed balcony on Celebrity Solstice and we could see over the lifeboat ok but felt it would not be worth paying balcony price for, we got it as an upgrade from OV so we enjoyed sitting outside but for views I think it was worse than the OV.

I hope you can enjoy the other aspects of your cruise. Thanks for reports. m--

Edited by RMLincoln

The first photo is standing at balcony door looking straight out and the second is sitting in balcony chair looking out.

Don't get me wrong, cruise is fantastic but the view from these balconies are not great.

Yes, listed as partially obstructed and I wanted mid ship and low, due to motion sickness. I would definitely go 5th or 6th floor if you have the same concern. The cruise is sold out or I would have asked to be moved. Just very disappointed in the view. Or lack thereof.

[attach]387907[/attach]

From 4103? Looks like one of the rooms between the lifeboats, which should be better view than straight into the lifeboat. Thanks for posting. m--

Edited by RMLincoln

Yes, listed as partially obstructed and I wanted mid ship and low, due to motion sickness. I would definitely go 5th or 6th floor if you have the same concern. The cruise is sold out or I would have asked to be moved. Just very disappointed in the view. Or lack thereof.

We are booked on lvl 5, we were concerned by lvl 4 ... But they were much different levels , 5=v and 4 is a chance which should be much cheaper

Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk

Thanks BACH. I would also be very unhappy with that view.

We are booked on lvl 5, we were concerned by lvl 4 ...
The view from the 5 V's should be better than it is on the Vista and Signature ships, but I'm interested in hearing if they are still as shallow on the K as on the other classes. Edited by catl331

We are booked on lvl 5, we were concerned by lvl 4 ... But they were much different levels , 5=v and 4 is a chance which should be much cheaper

Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk

I would be very happy from deck 5. You won't see straight down to water but your view is clear. Good choice!!

[attach]387907[/attach]

I would consider that an "Obstructed View". This "partially obstructed" description is subjective, based on what you expect from a balcony cabin. It's like hotel resorts that advertise a room as "Ocean View", and when you get there, if you lean far to the right, hang over the balcony, and use binoculars (not provided) you may get a tiny view of the ocean between buildings and trees.

HAL did that on Vista class ships. The mid-ships, deck 5 cabins used to be VE grade because of the lifeboats hanging right below your balcony. Also, due to the reduced deck width in that area, the balconies are very shallow, maybe 4 ft. Then they changed it to VA grade and used them for guarantee upgrades. Hey.... who would complain of a guarantee upgrade to a VA cabin, until you actually get there and see it. When you are in the cabin, looking straight out, your view of the ocean is fine. But when you stand out on the balcony and look down, all you see are the big orange tops of the lifeboats. I would call that partially obstructed. What I see in the pictures the OP provided was totally obstructed. You can't be expected to shift all over your balcony to catch a glimpse of the ocean between boats and davits.

That was going to be my question ..sounds like a guarantee.
Unlike on the previous 6 ships where there were only 4 VH, I think a lot of people unknowingly booking a simple "balcony guarantee" on the K are going to get stuck with these. :eek:

Did you book a VH guarantee?

You mentioned that you "wound up" in that cabin.

I didn't book through normal consumer channels and booked a verandah cabin, subsequently asking for a low cabin, midship. It is entirely my fault. However, I do strongly recommend not booking any deck 4 cabin with the obstruction. It has really hampered our views.

On a side note, if you are going to Geiranger, I cannot recommend enough booking an e-car!! Everyone who did the bus tour, wish they had booked the electric cars. We did a two hour tour and the car could go everywhere the bus went, plus little farms and such.

http://www.geirangerfjord.no/english

Unlike on the previous 6 ships where there were only 4 VH, I think a lot of people unknowingly booking a simple "balcony guarantee" on the K are going to get stuck with these. :eek:

I think you are right. It will be a bit of a learning experience for the new ship.

Fair point, but if any of them were ever booking a VH guarantee without thinking a VH is possible, then they don't understand how it works.
But The VH on the Vistas and Sigs are far better than these on the K. At least there you can take decent pictures by standing at the railing. Edited by jtl513

But The VH on the Vistas and Sigs are far better than these on the K. At least there you can take decent pictures by standing at the railing.

But the equivalent to the Koningsdam VH cabins on the Vistas and Signature ships are Obstructed View without a balcony. We booked a similar cabin on QM2 and was happy to have an outside area for the price we paid even if there was a life boat hanging in front of us.