Lobster night

mchlhaystead

Lobster included on the standard menu on Elegant Evening depends on how long the cruise is. 6 days or less NO lobster, 7 days or longer yes there is lobster, but only the first EE. On Journey cruises with a third EE lobster meat reappears but not necessarily as lobster tails.

Sent from my STV100-2 using Forums mobile app

Correction, lobster is no longer served for free on cruise 5 days or less. Cruise 6 days or longer include lobster on elegant night for no upcharge.

This is correct. There are ships that do alternating 6 & 8 day itineraries that all have lobster on the first elegant night.

Sent from my XT1254 using Forums mobile app

• 9 months later...

Did a search for this topic ... trying to figure out for sure the # of days. Can't find it anywhere on Carnival's site.

We did a 7 day and lobster was NOT served 04/2017 on the Sunshine - the wait staff told us that it was not served on 7 or less anymore. We have an 8 day set for April 2018 on the Vista. I am looking to make a reservation for the steakhouse, but want to make sure we don't ask for formal night if it is, in fact served on an 8 day.

Did a search for this topic ... trying to figure out for sure the # of days. Can't find it anywhere on Carnival's site.

We did a 7 day and lobster was NOT served 04/2017 on the Sunshine - the wait staff told us that it was not served on 7 or less anymore. We have an 8 day set for April 2018 on the Vista. I am looking to make a reservation for the steakhouse, but want to make sure we don't ask for formal night if it is, in fact served on an 8 day.

7 day on The Breeze ,last month we had lobster

That's not correct. It's on the first elegant evening. 7 night cruises included. Here is a link to my 7 day Glory cruise in October. You can see the Elegant Evening menu on post #97. https://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2556511

Skip the tiny lobster in the main dining room and spend $20 for the Steakhouse lobster tail selection in the main dining room - so much, much better and worth the extra money. I get the Steakhouse selections several times during the cruises in addition to going to the Steakhouse on the first and second nights if the ship has a Steakhouse.

Well, for whatever it's worth. The last 2 cruises that we took here locally in Long Beach, CA, the $20 charge for the lobster was just not worth anything extra. So disappointing in flavor, texture and in size. Carnival Inspiration and Imagination. 2016 & 2017. Doesn't stop me from having the best time with my Mom.

We're going on the Freedom next month. I'll order a lobster in the dining room one night. Who knows the quality might be different? I do think the scallop appetizer is quite delicious and its included on the MDR Menu. A couple orders, salad and yummy bread!! :p

Bobbi

Instead of spending 20.00 in the MDR for an upgraded entree, pay 35.00 in the Steakhouse and enjoy an additional four courses, two upgraded side dishes, an amuse bouche and a much better atmosphere with better service.

An additional 4 courses? So it's like an 8 course meal? I've never had that in the Steakhouse; just a starter, salad, entree, and dessert. Oh and some little thing of 2 bites the chef prepares which I tried and it was OK.

The Steakhouse is nice maybe once a cruise, but it takes way too long and honestly I don't think it's worth the additional $15 more than the $20 MDR option. I could almost have 2 upgraded meals in the MDR for the same price and be in and out quicker. I feel that the Steakhouse has the same food but in larger proportions such as the Baked Onion Soup. Tastes the same but it's too much. I'm going to try it this next time again for the new menu as I'm curious about the Wagu. Otherwise twice in my lifetime would have been enough. And now that the cheesecake is gone, I think it's even a lesser value as nothing on the dessert menu looks appealing to me. I'll be sticking to the MDR.

Edited by firemanbobswife

An additional 4 courses? So it's like an 8 course meal? I've never had that in the Steakhouse; just a starter, salad, entree, and dessert. Oh and some little thing of 2 bites the chef prepares which I tried and it was OK.

The Steakhouse is nice maybe once a cruise, but it takes way too long and honestly I don't think it's worth the additional $15 more than the $20 MDR option. I could almost have 2 upgraded meals in the MDR for the same price and be in and out quicker. I feel that the Steakhouse has the same food but in larger proportions such as the Baked Onion Soup. Tastes the same but it's too much. I'm going to try it this next time again for the new menu as I'm curious about the Wagu. Otherwise twice in my lifetime would have been enough. And now that the cheesecake is gone, I think it's even a lesser value as nothing on the dessert menu looks appealing to me. I'll be sticking to the MDR.

The additional four courses was my comparing what you get in the Steakhouse for your additional 35 versus what you get in the MDR for your additional 20. I have had a starter, soup, salad, entree, two sides and dessert in the Steakhouse. Funny you mentioned the French Onion Soup, very filling and rich so I always counterbalance with an appetizer such as the Beef Carpaccio. The 2 bite thing you mentioned is the Amuse Bouche, which I mentioned as well and sometimes it's great and sometimes not as much. I used to get the cheesecake and take it back to the cabin to enjoy later or I would get some of the ice cream which was much better than the stuff they serve in the MDR. Not a fan of the four chocolate thing.

You mention wanting to be in and out quicker. That is what I like when I go to the MDR to eat. When I go to a specialty venue and drop an additional 35, I like to dine. And there is a difference. We'll do it once on our Horizon cruise in August and go to Ji Ji's and Cucina del Capitano as well. Maybe even the new Teppanyaki venue if the reviews are positive. That'll give us four nights in the MDR and four nights in specialties.

Skip the tiny lobster in the main dining room .

When you can order as many as you want, MDR lobster is no longer tiny and a lot more than the $20 lobster you get at specialty restaurant. Why pay more if you can get it at no extra charge?

When you can order as many as you want, MDR lobster is no longer tiny and a lot more than the $20 lobster you get at specialty restaurant. Why pay more if you can get it at no extra charge?
Because there is a difference between tiny Caribbean lobster and a nice large cold water tail. It's better to have something that is adequate in size and tastes good, as opposed to a massive quantity of stuff that has no taste at all.

The additional four courses was my comparing what you get in the Steakhouse for your additional 35 versus what you get in the MDR for your additional 20. I have had a starter, soup, salad, entree, two sides and dessert in the Steakhouse. Funny you mentioned the French Onion Soup, very filling and rich so I always counterbalance with an appetizer such as the Beef Carpaccio. The 2 bite thing you mentioned is the Amuse Bouche, which I mentioned as well and sometimes it's great and sometimes not as much. I used to get the cheesecake and take it back to the cabin to enjoy later or I would get some of the ice cream which was much better than the stuff they serve in the MDR. Not a fan of the four chocolate thing.

You mention wanting to be in and out quicker. That is what I like when I go to the MDR to eat. When I go to a specialty venue and drop an additional 35, I like to dine. And there is a difference. We'll do it once on our Horizon cruise in August and go to Ji Ji's and Cucina del Capitano as well. Maybe even the new Teppanyaki venue if the reviews are positive. That'll give us four nights in the MDR and four nights in specialties.

I guess I’m not understanding the whole additional course thing. You get all that in the MDR too. It’s the same and you can order as many sides as you want there as well. As far as the Amuse Bouche both times I went it was an Ox Tail thing. I wouldn’t have paid $1 for it.

I’m not one for dining on a ship. Get me in and get me out. I will say it was better overall on Glory than Vista, but still nothing spectacular. Service wasn’t really any different. Yes it was quieter and darker but that’s about it. I can see trying the different restaurants. The Steakhouse is just OK and to me it’s worth saving the money and paying for the upcharge steak if I want it. Everything else I can get in the MDR along with better desserts.

I’m not one for dining on a ship. Get me in and get me out.

And I think that summarizes the differences you are having with SNJCruisers: you want to get a biggish better-than-buffet meal done and out of the way, while others are OK with lingering over a nice long meal.

I can do both, but our MDR meals were not in any kind of hurry, we lingered over extra glasses of wine and whatnot. I'm sure we will really enjoy the Steakhouse on our 8-day in late-2018. I doubt I will exercise the Steakhouse for our 4-day cruise in March - the MDR should offer sufficient quality and variety. If a particular night looks disappointing, we may do something different, but we aren't picky eaters, so I think it would be unusual for us to not find something more-than-acceptable in the MDR.

And I think that summarizes the differences you are having with SNJCruisers: you want to get a biggish better-than-buffet meal done and out of the way, while others are OK with lingering over a nice long meal.

I can do both, but our MDR meals were not in any kind of hurry, we lingered over extra glasses of wine and whatnot. I'm sure we will really enjoy the Steakhouse on our 8-day in late-2018. I doubt I will exercise the Steakhouse for our 4-day cruise in March - the MDR should offer sufficient quality and variety. If a particular night looks disappointing, we may do something different, but we aren't picky eaters, so I think it would be unusual for us to not find something more-than-acceptable in the MDR.

Yeah I’ve never been the type even at a restaurant to stay much past the time it takes me to eat. I find it rather boring and I don’t like when it takes hours to finish then the rest of the night is shot. As far as the service, I noticed very little difference between the two. I guess I have gotten lucky with really good servers in the MDR with the exception of my second time on Conquest. That was painfully slow. So to me if you want a good steak or lobster, the $20 upcharge in the MDR is a great choice. If you want to try something different then do the Steakhouse.

I’m thinking maybe awhile back it must have been better because neither time have I found the service or experience so superior to the MDR. I kept waiting for something to really stand out and it didn’t. The MDR on Celebrity had better service, ambiance, and even food than the Steakhouse.

Not all Carnival ships have a Steakhouse, like the Paradise we cruise on often out of Tampa. Ordering the Steakhouse selections is our only option and well worth the $20. The lobster tails are huge compared to the little ones you get on lobster night and the filet mignons are great. When we do sail on a ship with a Steakhouse, we go there at least twice during the cruises. Love the ambience and the extra special service.

• 2 months later...
Skip the tiny lobster in the main dining room and spend $20 for the Steakhouse lobster tail selection in the main dining room - so much, much better and worth the extra money. I get the Steakhouse selections several times during the cruises in addition to going to the Steakhouse on the first and second nights if the ship has a Steakhouse.

I think it depends on the ship. My husband did the upcharhe lobster on the Inspiration and the tail was SMALL. Nothing like the real Steakhouse selection.