Hard of Hearing-

FAD

just got a Cochlear Implant think it will enable me to hear the comedy shows and the audience participation on the larger ships. Thinking not but hoping yes.

The FM amplification ALD's I've used on previous cruises didn't work well too much buzzing etc..

I also recently got a Cochlear implant (activated end of August) and went to a broadway-style musical show last Saturday. I had no problem following the show with just the CI (though I must admit was familiar with the songs from years ago).

Not sure what accessories you have. I had my remote and mini mic2+ with me. I could have tried the Telecoil setting using the remote, or could have set the mini mic+ on telecoil to stream directly to the implant.

So that’s what I plan to do on our cruise in early January.

I have bilateral MedEl Opus2s and have been on several ships since receiving them 5 years ago. I've sailed on Carnival Miracle (4 times), Carnival Legend, Holland America's Koningsdam and most recently HAL's Westerdam.

The only ship that had a CI appropriate assistive listening device was the Westerdam. I was able to plug into a mobile receiver and enjoyed every show in the show lounge! I was so impressed!

Contact the special needs of your cruise line and let them know you have a CI. Once on board, Guest Services should be able to help you out. We worked with the sound engineer in every circumstance, but the Westerdam was the only ship that we were able to hash out the initial problems on.

Cheers and happy sailing!

I've been using hearing aids for several years and enjoy being able to remove them when the production shows and pool-side bands are over-amplified. I carry a small case to put them in and in that case is a set of ear plugs in case the volume is over the top - as it often is if the twenty-somethings get ahold of the volume control knob.

I've reached the conclusion that the cruise lines are in cahoots with the hearing aid companies since they seem so intent with destroying what hearing I have left.

I've been using hearing aids for several years and enjoy being able to remove them when the production shows and pool-side bands are over-amplified. I carry a small case to put them in and in that case is a set of ear plugs in case the volume is over the top - as it often is if the twenty-somethings get ahold of the volume control knob.

I've reached the conclusion that the cruise lines are in cahoots with the hearing aid companies since they seem so intent with destroying what hearing I have left.

I've been known to turn my cochlear implant processors off when I am in a situation where it is too loud.

thanks you all for your interesting Replies.

Caribbean Chris & Taters would you be kind enough to give a report on your hearing experience on the cruises you will be taking. As I said it's the comedy shows and the audience participation shows that break my heart so enjoyable for others but a sad dud for me.

thanks you all for your interesting Replies.

Caribbean Chris & Taters would you be kind enough to give a report on your hearing experience on the cruises you will be taking. As I said it's the comedy shows and the audience participation shows that break my heart so enjoyable for others but a sad dud for me.

I’ll try to remember to post after the Celebrity cruise.

I know so we’ll how you feel about the comedy and audience participation shows (and about that overly loud scenario mentioned!j It has been so many years since I could understand those or the guest lecturer talks.

The best ship I was on (pre Cochlear implant) for hearing for me was HAL’s Zuiderdam. The sound system was very good in several venues, for watching a documentary about the Panama Canal and for listening to a talk by the cruise director. I was also issued a room kit with various devices for phone or door knock alert (but I am well served by my Hearing Dog).

On the other hand, I was once on one of the smaller HAL ships transatlantic, and was issued an assistive listening device - which had no battery! And there was not a battery to be found that fit it on board. No chance of finding one while crossing the ocean, either.

Both HAL and Celebrity seem to be hit or miss. The movies never have captioning, and there are no caption glasses available. The TV closed caption often doesn’t function either. Very frustrating.

But I think my wireless devices that came with my C.I. will be useful now, especially the mini mic2+ for streaming sound to the implant.

• 1 month later...
I also recently got a Cochlear implant (activated end of August) and went to a broadway-style musical show last Saturday. I had no problem following the show with just the CI (though I must admit was familiar with the songs from years ago).

Not sure what accessories you have. I had my remote and mini mic2+ with me. I could have tried the Telecoil setting using the remote, or could have set the mini mic+ on telecoil to stream directly to the implant.

So that’s what I plan to do on our cruise in early January.

Caribbean Chris were you able to hear the shows on the cruise in January?

I’m sorry that I can’t contribute much input. Not many of the shows appealed to us, and we sat in the back and left early for one. I just relied on my regular CI setting for the brief time we were there. We really relaxed on the short cruise, mostly just having a leisurely dinner each night and an after dinner drink.

On the plus side, an engineer arrived at our room with the steward at the start of the cruise and installed a door knock flasher and a phone flasher. I didn’t really need them with a hearing dog (and don’t recall requesting them,) but it was good of Celebrity to be proactive.

Thanks CC. I was so hoping that you found a cruise line that had a good Assistive Listening system for the shows but glad you had a nice time.

Hubby is really wants to go on a cruise so guess I'll just have to go on one and cry during the comedy show :).

Taters I guess you wouldn't know of some of the other HAL's ships would be as effective e.g. the Eurodam and the Nieuw?

No - Sorry, I do not know about any other HAL ships but Koningsdam and Westerdam, with Westerdam having the best ALD to hook up to my CI processor. Koningsdam's plug didn't fit.

I would love to sail on Westerdam again, and I see that next year she will do a repositioning cruise from Japan to Vancouver. I may book that one! :D

• 2 weeks later...

We are a group of hearing impaired cruisers and we always ask for CART. Celebrity has provided one 3 times and NCL did once (after a big ole deal made by me. I brought a friend typist to type for me since NCL would not provide one. They agreed to provide her with a cabin in exchange for typing. Inside, probably worst location on the ship, but they did it).

Princess flat out refuses, after many many emails back and forth with the accessibility dept. Our travel agent joined the fight and still......they will not provide one. All of them will provide an ASL interpreter with enough notice, but that doesn't help us. We only know a little sign language.

It's a struggle! But we still keep advocating :)

~ Shari

• 4 weeks later...

Shoeper if your group ever goes on another trip, especially if it's on one of the larger ships, would love to join you. A NO you can't do that is understandable but a YES would be a joy. My husband and I are very nice people.

• 2 months later...
Shoeper if your group ever goes on another trip, especially if it's on one of the larger ships, would love to join you. A NO you can't do that is understandable but a YES would be a joy. My husband and I are very nice people.

Princess has finally agreed to provide CART for our November cruise! Wanna come, FAD??

And anyone else who needs captioning for the shows???

We are currently on a Seabourn ship and there are no concessions for the hearing impaired. Closed captioning is not available on TVs for either broadcast shows, understandable, or for all of the pre recorded movies.

Guess it is okay to discriminate against hearing disabled people on cruise ships.

We are currently on a Seabourn ship and there are no concessions for the hearing impaired. Closed captioning is not available on TVs for either broadcast shows, understandable, or for all of the pre recorded movies.

Guess it is okay to discriminate against hearing disabled people on cruise ships.

I’ve had problems with closed captioning on other lines, too, which are companies that otherwise do offer plenty of accessible arrangements for people with hearing issues (door knock sensor, headsets in the theater, etc.) I’ve often wondered what the problem is... I’m no engineer, but maybe the ships’ satellite signal does not transmit captions for broadcast shows.

In any event, when Seabourn or any other ship operates in US waters, regardless of the vessel’s flag, they must meet most (but not all) of the provisions of Title III of the Americans With Disabilities Act.

I’ve had problems with closed captioning on other lines, too, which are companies that otherwise do offer plenty of accessible arrangements for people with hearing issues (door knock sensor, headsets in the theater, etc.) I’ve often wondered what the problem is... I’m no engineer, but maybe the ships’ satellite signal does not transmit captions for broadcast shows.

In any event, when Seabourn or any other ship operates in US waters, regardless of the vessel’s flag, they must meet most (but not all) of the provisions of Title III of the Americans With Disabilities Act.

I'm not sure why captioning would not appear on the t.v. We rarely ever turn the tv on except to check our account or the view from the bridge. I do know that at some hotels, we need to have maintenance come to the room with another remote (maybe for the dish?) and they turn it on for us. Maybe ships are the same way?

The CART that I had requested is live captioning for the shows, muster drill and any talks/classes given by the ship. It requires a writer who uses a machine like court reporters use. What they type is then projected unto a screen or t.v. or even just a laptop. That works well for a small group but it's a lot harder to have a large group hover over a laptop to read, lol. I wish they would announce that it's available so people know here to sit. Put signage up as you enter theater, etc. We've got a ways to go in educating about hearing loss, but.....baby steps :) On 2 separate cruises, we had people just happen to see the writer and the screen and they would come over and ask if they were allowed to sit with us and use it too. OF COURSE! We made new friends :) And ever.single.time we went to a comedy show, the comedian would somehow work the writer into his skit, lol. Soooo funny.

We understand why the direct satellite feeds may not have captions. We don’t understand why the movies downloaded and on their servers do not have captions. Guest services called three different technical lines and told us closed captioning was not available. On a long cruise, across the pacific, it’s nice to watch one of the hundreds of movies available on your cabin TV. Small ships don’t offer as much entertainment and you can get tired of reading. They have LG TVs and they of course would have closed captioning available but not on Seabourn.

I'm not sure why captioning would not appear on the t.v. We rarely ever turn the tv on except to check our account or the view from the bridge. I do know that at some hotels, we need to have maintenance come to the room with another remote (maybe for the dish?) and they turn it on for us. Maybe ships are the same way?

The CART that I had requested is live captioning for the shows, muster drill and any talks/classes given by the ship. It requires a writer who uses a machine like court reporters use. What they type is then projected unto a screen or t.v. or even just a laptop. That works well for a small group but it's a lot harder to have a large group hover over a laptop to read, lol. I wish they would announce that it's available so people know here to sit. Put signage up as you enter theater, etc. We've got a ways to go in educating about hearing loss, but.....baby steps :) On 2 separate cruises, we had people just happen to see the writer and the screen and they would come over and ask if they were allowed to sit with us and use it too. OF COURSE! We made new friends :) And ever.single.time we went to a comedy show, the comedian would somehow work the writer into his skit, lol. Soooo funny.

CART is great! We use it at all the Hearing Loss Association of America meetings for our chapter in Sarasota/Bradenton, projected onto a screen.

CART is great! We use it at all the Hearing Loss Association of America meetings for our chapter in Sarasota/Bradenton, projected onto a screen.

We do too! As well as our church services :) It's the best thing since sliced bread! lol

Hi Chris! This is Annie! Are you going to the HLAA convention next month in Minneapolis? Hubby and I are going. We could meet up! :D