Gratuities For USA passengers on Australian based Princess ships.

to_the_c

As a USA passenger I believe that my on board account will be debited nightly for optional gratuities on a Princess Australian based ship. Just wondering if the $13.50 USD will be charged in AUD with a 1:1 conversion rate as are my OBC...or, if the $13.50 will first be converted to AUD at some prevailing monetary exchange rate. Thank you for your response.

As a USA passenger I believe that my on board account will be debited nightly for optional gratuities on a Princess Australian based ship. Just wondering if the $13.50 USD will be charged in AUD with a 1:1 conversion rate as are my OBC...or, if the $13.50 will first be converted to AUD at some prevailing monetary exchange rate. Thank you for your response.

I have no idea on the conversation rate but am - personally - disappointed that USA passengers are charged daily when we are not I cannot believe that as the staff are all paid the better wages when working Australian CARNIVAL OWNED SHIPS that they have any way of getting YOUR gratuities to YOUR members of staff I would expect the monies to go the the main accounts and be kept.:evilsmile:

I read on another thread that it is perfectly all right for US booked pax to have the automatic gratuities removed from their account for just the exact reason as stated... staff on Australia based Carnival owned ships are paid a living wage.

Then, if pax want, they can give tips directly to the staff that works for them.

I read on another thread that it is perfectly all right for US booked pax to have the automatic gratuities removed from their account for just the exact reason as stated... staff on Australia based Carnival owned ships are paid a living wage.

Then, if pax want, they can give tips directly to the staff that works for them.

On Princess if pax remove or reduce the automatic gratuity and give cash say to their cabin/MDR steward(s) those staff are required to hand the money in to their supervisor, for inclusion in the 'gratuity pool.' :o:(

I have seen the head waiters circling the tables in the MDR on the last night of a cruise, looking for pax giving cash tips and then the HW taking the money off the steward(s.) True.

Wouldn't it be that US (or any OS passengers) would be paying a cheaper rate for their room when they book overseas ... because it is expected that they have to pay the gratuities on top of their room? We all know that booking through a US agent can be cheaper - but when you add in the extra gratuities requirement, that is where the cost somewhat evens out.

Wouldn't it be that US (or any OS passengers) would be paying a cheaper rate for their room when they book overseas ... because it is expected that they have to pay the gratuities on top of their room? We all know that booking through a US agent can be cheaper - but when you add in the extra gratuities requirement, that is where the cost somewhat evens out.

I was told this by my travel agent. Apparently gratuities are built into the fares from New Zealand and Australian travel companies (and cruise companies).

On Princess if pax remove or reduce the automatic gratuity and give cash say to their cabin/MDR steward(s) those staff are required to hand the money in to their supervisor, for inclusion in the 'gratuity pool.' :o:(

I have seen the head waiters circling the tables in the MDR on the last night of a cruise, looking for pax giving cash tips and then the HW taking the money off the steward(s.) True.

The Head waiter circulating only happens on UJSA based ships as there are no gratuities on Australian based Princess or P&O Austraalia ships all tips given can be kept and we have not been asked our cabin EVER