Juneau Alaska Whale watching

remharri

Hello!

I recently tried to book with Jayleen and she is full for when I'll be there. She recommended her uncle to me and his company is called Alaska Humpback Adventures. I was wondering if anyone had experience with him and if you would book through him. He is the same price as Jayleen. He also states he was one of the first captains with Harv and Marv.

Any recommendations would be great!

I highly recommend Gastineau Guiding. Their boats are the perfect answer for whale watching: as stable as the big boats, as roomy as the small boats, and the best windows for watching and photography anywhere (they swing in/up to the ceiling and pin out of the way).

I highly recommend Gastineau Guiding. Their boats are the perfect answer for whale watching: as stable as the big boats, as roomy as the small boats, and the best windows for watching and photography anywhere (they swing in/up to the ceiling and pin out of the way).

Thank you for the recommendation I'll check them out!

I also recommend Gastineau Guiding. Small groups with guaranteed access to a clear view of the whales. Excellent guides and we even got to help out with some data gathering for some university studies. It was pretty simple stuff but that was the beauty of it, as it was suitable for all ages.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I also recommend Gastineau Guiding. Small groups with guaranteed access to a clear view of the whales. Excellent guides and we even got to help out with some data gathering for some university studies. It was pretty simple stuff but that was the beauty of it, as it was suitable for all ages.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Can you only book through this company through the cruise line?

Hello!

I recently tried to book with Jayleen and she is full for when I'll be there. She recommended her uncle to me and his company is called Alaska Humpback Adventures. I was wondering if anyone had experience with him and if you would book through him. He is the same price as Jayleen. He also states he was one of the first captains with Harv and Marv.

If her uncle is Steve, he's very good. Been with him twice at H&M knows his stuff.

Can you only book through this company through the cruise line?

To be honest I don't know. We booked through the cruise line mainly because I was the arranger of everything for our party and it was easier to keep it with the cruise line rather than try and keep track of bookings from all different sources. I had their business card somewhere but I am not sure where. I can try and see if I can find it if you need it.

Hello!

Do they have a website?

Hello!

I toured with Jayleen and anyone she recommends would be top notch. It’s a bonus that it’s her uncle! I see that you’ve already booked, but for anyone else looking for a tour, you will be very well taken care of!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I toured with Jayleen and anyone she recommends would be top notch. It’s a bonus that it’s her uncle! I see that you’ve already booked, but for anyone else looking for a tour, you will be very well taken care of!

Haven't booked yet, but thinking I'll do it based off of these comments about Jayleen!

I've been out with Jayleen and her Uncle Steve. Steve is much better than Jayleen.

Steve is the guy! I'm going to confirm with him and I'll report back after my cruise and tour with him.

Haven't booked yet, but thinking I'll do it based off of these comments about Jayleen!

Steve is the guy! I'm going to confirm with him and I'll report back after my cruise and tour with him.

Let us know his contact info. Thanks.

Let us know his contact info. Thanks.

Do you have contact info. for Steve? Thanks!

Yes I do!

akhumpbacks @ gmail

I'm looking for people to join me on my cruise. Nov. 30th sailing on the Bliss! I'll have to share on my Roll Call.

Let me know if you decide to book.

Hello!

Honestly, I would never waste money to go whale watching in Alaska again... our excursion wasn't very exciting, but on two separate occasions there were large pods of Orcas jumping and playing right next to the ship on sea days. INCREDIBLE.

Honestly, I would never waste money to go whale watching in Alaska again... our excursion wasn't very exciting, but on two separate occasions there were large pods of Orcas jumping and playing right next to the ship on sea days. INCREDIBLE.

I'm going to take my chances. First Alaskan cruise. :D

I'm going to take my chances. First Alaskan cruise. :D

Of course- ours was too, which is why we did the excursion.... but it was thrilling to have the Orcas give us such an entertaining show! Now, if they offered a bear excursion, I'd pay double for that hahaha.... didn't get to see any bears on our trip :(

Of course- ours was too, which is why we did the excursion.... but it was thrilling to have the Orcas give us such an entertaining show! Now, if they offered a bear excursion, I'd pay double for that hahaha.... didn't get to see any bears on our trip :(

That was my next search, best place to see bears!

I know whale watching is not for everyone. To be honest, I think some people have high expectations for their whale watching excursions. Especially, when people see some of the spectacular whale watching pictures posted on this site. We would never go to Alaska without booking a whale watching tour. In fact, we have 5 trips planned for our upcoming May cruise --- we are fans of whales and glaciers. We go with no expectations and are thrilled when we are blessed with incredible activity. Our small boat whale viewing has far surpassed what we have seen from the ships we have cruised upon.

As per time of day, there isn't a best day. They may be more active in the morning one day and the afternoon the next.

Thanks, Coral. I was thinking more in terms of May vs Sept, or which month or months whales may be more active. Isn't it true they migrate? If so, I would assume early spring and late fall they might be moving and therefore more active.

I find the best time for whales is starting in around late June - early July. In May some of the mothers and calves are still on their way from Hawaii. Basically, they don't eat anything for the 6 months they are in Hawaii and when they arrive are pretty much feeding 24/7. Bubble net feeding is usually done in July - August. I personally find that they are more "watchable" later in the season when they have gained back some of the weight lost over the winter and have time to hang out on the surface more and congregate in larger groups.