Stateroom layout for four person on Koningsdam

Quebec_cruiser

Hello!

I am a new cruiser considering a HAL Med cruise in July 2019 (12 days from Rome to Greek Islands). I am a long time lurker on theses boards and now decided to jump in :-)

We are a family of four (DH and I, two teens that will be 12 and 14 years old at the time of cruising).

I am interested in either a Verandah Stateroom or a Vista Suite. I am looking for information regarding bedding layout of those two staterooms. I understand that in quad verandah staterooms (marked with a square in deck plans), the pullman bed is located on top of the main bed. Is that right? That seems strange (and unpractical) to me. I would rather have it on top of the sofa bed (one kid in each). Can anyone confirm me it is the case? What about the Vista layout? Would it be the same bed arrangement even if the main bed in closer to the balcony?

Thanks in advance for your help!

Anabelle

It is correct for the vista stateroom. And when the bed is pulled out from the couch the room is totally filled with "beds"

I tried to upload a pic, but I can't get it to upload. We were 4 sisters who have done one room before and had a ball. After this time we decided to get two connecting staterooms as the cabins on Koningsdam are just too small for 4.

Thanks to you both!

So, if I understand, in either rooms, the upper bed will be on top of the main bed. But the Vista will be roomier.

Indeed, other cruise lines have better sleeping arrangement for four people!

Your better choice obviously is to choose those other cruise lines that suit your needs for four people in a single cabin better. HAL does not really accommodate or market to large family cabin passengers, nor provide the depth of activities for family cruising the same way other ships can offer. Consequently their four person bed cabin options will reflect this, mainly because of their rare use.

Your better choice obviously is to choose those other cruise lines that suit your needs for four people in a single cabin better. HAL does not really accommodate or market to large family cabin passengers, nor provide the depth of activities for family cruising the same way other ships can offer. Consequently their four person bed cabin options will reflect this, mainly because of their rare use.

You are absolutely right! I considered this cruise line mainly for the itinerary, the food quality and the generally more upscale feeling. My teens and I are more into reading, museums, enrichment activities, etc. than waterslides and karting! :-) For this trip, we see the ship mostly as a floating hotel and do not need a lot of entertainment. But I understand we are not a perfect fit with this cruise line market. Thanks for your input!

I think the koningsdam has a family Ocean view suite

Absolutely! I wanted a verandah, but I think it's a good option for families, perhaps showing HAL intends to go more towards this clientele for his future ships.

Regarding the two staterooms option: it was more expensive of course, so I finally chose the Vista Suite. I think it's a good compromise. Thanks everyone for your kind help!

Absolutely! I wanted a verandah, but I think it's a good option for families, perhaps showing HAL intends to go more towards this clientele for his future ships.

Regarding the two staterooms option: it was more expensive of course, so I finally chose the Vista Suite. I think it's a good compromise. Thanks everyone for your kind help!

We sailed in a Vista suite, but there isnot that much more room then in a regular cabin with balcony. We donot understand why it is called a suite.

We sailed in a Vista suite, but there isnot that much more room then in a regular cabin with balcony. We donot understand why it is called a suite.

Thanks! With four people, I figured even a few inches more could’nt hurt! The only drawback is we have the same daily charges as a real suite.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I recently saw a YouTube video where the parents had an aft suite with a connecting door to an Inside cabin for the kids. Perhaps that might work for you? I would hate to see you choose another line over HAL because it seems you are well suited.

I just found it again. Google Eurodam Neptune Suite 8162 on YouTube. Perhaps there are similar layouts on the Koningsdam? Oh! I just noticed you booked a Vista Suite. Never mind! I haven't had my coffee yet. lol. The Koningsdam is a beautiful ship. I know you will enjoy your cruise on her. :)

I recently saw a YouTube video where the parents had an aft suite with a connecting door to an Inside cabin for the kids. Perhaps that might work for you? I would hate to see you choose another line over HAL because it seems you are well suited.

I will check that out, thanks! I do think HAL would be a great fit for us and we are willing to squeeze in a little bit! This is a very port intensive itinerary, so I don’t expect to be in the room that much anyway. Thanks again to all for your help!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I just found it again. Google Eurodam Neptune Suite 8162 on YouTube. Perhaps there are similar layouts on the Koningsdam? Oh! I just noticed you booked a Vista Suite. Never mind! I haven't had my coffee yet. lol. The Koningsdam is a beautiful ship. I know you will enjoy your cruise on her. :)

Sorry, Quebec Cruiser. Bringing this back because I notice we posted at the same time.

Salut Quebec Cruiser !

Avez-vous pensé à vous louer deux cabines (côte-à-côte) ? Ça pourrait être une bonne option.

Holacanada

Bonjour! J'y ai pensé, mais c'est plus de 1000$ de plus. Nous sommes déjà à la limite de notre budget. Merci!

(Sorry for the French hidjack! He suggested I get two connecting cabins, which is a good idea, just a bit too expensive for us!).

Don't get your post at all. Not helpful to the OP and sounds snarky.

• Like 1

It’s no harder to put that berth above the sofa, essentially creating a set of bunks, than to put it above the queen. I’ve often wondered why any line would do that. It makes no sense.

• 2 weeks later...
It’s no harder to put that berth above the sofa, essentially creating a set of bunks, than to put it above the queen. I’ve often wondered why any line would do that. It makes no sense.

Exactly! Anyway, for those interested in that topic, I found this YouTube video that shows really well the setup for quad in a Vista Suite when all the beds (including the upper and the sofa) are open (beginning around 8min 34 sec):

• Like 1