Koningsdam - Narrower Balcony Decks?

POA1

Some of the balconies on the Eurodam and Nieuw Amsterdam aren't as deep as others. It's only certain decks.

Does anyone know if that's true of the Koningsdam?

It's some of the cabins on Deck 5 on the Eurodam and the Nieuw Amsterdam.

I realize that the Kdam uses names instead of numbers for the decks. (Just to p1$$ me off, I think. ;) )

We were in 5106 on K'dam vista suite on Gershwin deck (5)

The balcony was quite narrow. Furniture was 2 reclining chairs (one with foot stool) and one small circular table. It has the same dimension as 4221 (aft vista on Beethoven deck 4) pics are on the factual site that should not be mentioned

The balcony was quite narrow. Furniture was 2 reclining chairs (one with foot stool) and one small circular table. It has the same dimension as 4221 (aft vista on Beethoven deck 4) pics are on the factual site that should not be mentioned

Thanks. That sounds like the same.

VMax1700, thank you for that helpful information. We are considering 5101 on a cruise next year. Was it narrow from side to side or cabin to rail? Would appreciate any other thoughts you have about these cabins.

VMax1700, thank you for that helpful information. We are considering 5101 on a cruise next year. Was it narrow from side to side or cabin to rail? Would appreciate any other thoughts you have about these cabins.

It was narrow cabin to rail. the total size is about 9ft x 5ft. see image

I think I took some pics of 5106 and if I can find them I will post them to the same site.

For whatever it is worth, we learned after booking one of the very nice Neptune suites on the top cabin deck of the Prinsendam that this group of cabins also had much narrower balconies. We ended up loving it - we felt like we were perched over the sea. So this may not necessarily be a drawback.

Considering a cruise on Koningsdam next year...in addition to the depth of the balcony, is there a deck that is preferable for lots of shade coverage? Husband and I prefer to be more protected from the sun.

We were on the Eurodam last year in cabin 5106, yes the balcony was a little narrower due to the placement of the lifeboats, but we loved being midships, so we didn't mind. One thing we didn't like is we had 8 cabins all together in this area and when we opened the partitions between balconies, the partitions didn't open flush so they would bang, for that reason only we moved to aft on our next cruise.

The "factual site" is HAL Facts and can be visited at halfacts.com

It is an extremely informative site by and for HAL Cruisers.

Joanie

Joanie

OK, so on deck 4, and this is also true on all Signature and Vista class ships as well, deck FOUR has the largest (standard) balconies due to the design of the hull. Aft and forward, they are the same width but about 8 feet deep - really deep. The most forward balcony cabins on deck four have steel, rather than glass below the railing which works for me. I am in 4017 TA on the Koningsdam and recently sailed in 4019 Westerdam and also Queen Victoria, 4001. Same price, but those who know, the early bird gets the worm. HOWEVER, BEWARE, in heavy seas, waves hitting the bow (forward) can shock you. 4001 on Queen Victoria - the most forward balcony cabin on the ship, we hit 30 foots seas. I thought the cabin was going to explode. Waves flew right by - it was GREAT!!!

And yes, the Koningsdam balcony cabins everywhere else are narrow (er).

SV