Koningsdam Drydock

Despegue

Does anyone know when Ms. Koningsdam is scheduled for her first Drydock?

I am looking at a 2019 sailing, but am wondering if there will be a drydock by that time.

Many thanks 😉

Unless the rules have changed, a ship needs to be drydocked twice during a 5 year period. So, I would think Koningsdam would have had her first drydocking, depending upon when in 2019 you sail.

Ships less than 15 years old can substitute an underwater survey for the midperiod (2.5 year) dry dock, but HAL does not historically do this. Her statutory dry dock window is from Jul 2018 to Jan 2019, so sometime in between those dates.

Unless the rules have changed, a ship needs to be drydocked twice during a 5 year period. So, I would think Koningsdam would have had her first drydocking, depending upon when in 2019 you sail.

Wow Obviously I did not know that! Learn something new every day!

• 2 months later...
'K-dam is going to dry-dock in Freeport this Fall upon her return from Europe

Have read somewhere Koningsdam is scheduled for 12-2 to 12-9 in Freeport? Do you know what she is having done? We are sailing her from Ft. Lauderdale on 12-10 and hoping not to have any problems . . . opinion? :rolleyes:

Have read somewhere Koningsdam is scheduled for 12-2 to 12-9 in Freeport? Do you know what she is having done? We are sailing her from Ft. Lauderdale on 12-10 and hoping not to have any problems . . . opinion? :rolleyes:
You shouldn't expect any problems. Most changes will likely be cosmetic. They might rearrange the music venues to align with the upcoming Nieuw Statendam. Nothing to worry about.

You shouldn't expect any problems. Most changes will likely be cosmetic. They might rearrange the music venues to align with the upcoming Nieuw Statendam. Nothing to worry about.

Thanks, appreciate you letting me know. Hopefully all will be finished and smooth sailing will be had by all!

'K-dam is going to dry-dock in Freeport this Fall upon her return from Europe

Thanks for confiming.

Do you have any information about Noordam's (overdue) wet/dry dock?

There appears to be a two week gap at the end of her Alaska assignments 29th September 2019 to 13th October 2019.

• 1 month later...

Dec 2nd is correct.

I would not expect any significant changes to Konigsdam other than replacement/repair of worn carpets and fabrics that the time would allow and hasn't been done on an ongoing basis while in service. As another poster suggested they could rearrange the useage of the Music Walk Space and Queens lounge as those are relatively simple to accomplish. Mostly this drydock is for required inspections/maintenance of underwater/mechanical systems. Any interior work will be more geared to keeping her fresh and taking advantage of the fact that there are no guests onboard - clearing hotel side maintenance backlogs, deep cleaning, etc

According to Capt. Albert the main thrust of the next dry dock will be to paint the hull and coat it with algae preventative.

Inspection of both Azipods and the Propellers has taken place in Amsterdam the last two sailings.

Edited by nschamp
added info

They need to remodel the bathrooms so that a person with legs can sit straight on the toilet :D

They need to remodel the bathrooms so that a person with legs can sit straight on the toilet :D

When I embark the Nieuw Statendam in January, that is one of the first things that I am going to check when I arrive at my stateroom. I have heard that the "error in design" will be corrected.

The odd toilet seating situation reminds me of my experience using the toilet on Amtrak's Viewliner Sleeping Cars in a Roomette with the bed in place.

• 1 month later...

Rotterdam's retrofit was a disaster in 2017 and we took her to Caribbean right after. The working crew remained onboard for our entire 2 weeks. We all commented that the oncoming passengers for the next voyage would probably not know anything happened. We were compensated by HAL for all of the inconvenience, and we are actually repeating the same voyage in December on the same ship. Rotterdam is an older ship; unlike Koningsdam so I think that Kdam's retro should probably go well. But, after sailing immediately after one bad retro, we won't do it again. I'm looking forward to a future sailing on Koningsdam.

Typically ships go into drydock every 4-5 years. So expect her to be in drydock by 2020/2021.

HAL ships usually go into dry dock every 30-36 months (2 1/2 to 3 yrs)for inspection and service below the waterline. On the average HAL docks five to six ships a year for; #1 standard maintenance & upkeep and #2 upgrades,enhancements & new features