Just back from 29 days on the SilverShadow

2menUK

Just wanted to say a quick hello to all the wonderful people we met on the Silver Shadow this past month. We will post a more detailed review at a later dates since this is our last night in Singapore before heading back to London.

I will say that overall it was very nice and we made some great friends. Was it the "worlds best cruiseline"??? lets hope not.

Cheers

Phillip and Stephen

I also just got back from this 29 day adventure. Hello to all my friends from the trip. Had a few issues with Silversea but overall a great time that I would do again. Exciting ports and wonderful new friends. The passenger manifest was one of the best...and Stephen & Phillip, you made it great. Welcome back home. Stay in touch.

Kent

Funny you should ask about computer use as that was one of the few big frustrations I had with Silversea. Computer use of their computer center requires you to now login just to use the computer at 40-75cents/minute...even if you're not on the internet. Thus to type a short letter will cost you $5. To get the lower prices, you have to buy a "package" for $50-100 without refund for unused time. I felt sorry for many of the older people unfamiliar with computers as they would use tons of time just trying to figure out what to do. I didn't bring my computer as computer use was previously complementary and you were charged an incidental amount for data transmission only. The new structure seems like a gouge for 6 stars when the caviar and liquor is complementary.

As for the wifi, it didn't seem to work for people in their rooms...only in a few common areas on the ship like the card room and library where it did work well. With your own computer, you are still charged the same rates once you get on the net so people would log on, read email quickly, log off, type replys in wordpad, log back on and cut and paste...a hassle, but just sitting in front of the computer for 30 minutes is $15 if youre logged on....after 30 days this can really add up.

Are other six star lines doing this? I've been on Radisson several times, most recently last Nov 04 and computer use was complementary with a reasonable charge for data transmission.

hope this helps

Kent

• 2 weeks later...

First off Merry Christmas to our friends from our Cruise and to Kent in Particular we really enjoy getting to know you.

As for the Wifi, I did bring my laptop with me and Wifi worked great in the Computer room and also in the Panorama Lounge. As Shipless in Seattle pointed out. The new internet policy on Silver Sea is not good unless you bring your own computer onboard. This enables you to only be charged for the time you use to send and receive messages or be on the internet. We could download our emails in seconds then reply to them offline then sign on again.

Merry Christmas to all.

hello to Shipless Seattle and 2menUk. I have been wondering what you three have been up to. Kent, we need to swap some photos of the famed Camel Race......and Stephen, I earned some bling this holiday- need to share:-)

Welcome home, so pleased to have met you all and looking forward to seeing you again one of these days

Have booked LAX-MIA for 9/06- anyone else doing it?

Happiest & Merriest to y'all

Liz from GA

Funny you should ask about computer use as that was one of the few big frustrations I had with Silversea. Computer use of their computer center requires you to now login just to use the computer at 40-75cents/minute...even if you're not on the internet. Thus to type a short letter will cost you $5. To get the lower prices, you have to buy a "package" for $50-100 without refund for unused time. I felt sorry for many of the older people unfamiliar with computers as they would use tons of time just trying to figure out what to do. I didn't bring my computer as computer use was previously complementary and you were charged an incidental amount for data transmission only. The new structure seems like a gouge for 6 stars when the caviar and liquor is complementary.

As for the wifi, it didn't seem to work for people in their rooms...only in a few common areas on the ship like the card room and library where it did work well. With your own computer, you are still charged the same rates once you get on the net so people would log on, read email quickly, log off, type replys in wordpad, log back on and cut and paste...a hassle, but just sitting in front of the computer for 30 minutes is $15 if youre logged on....after 30 days this can really add up.

Are other six star lines doing this? I've been on Radisson several times, most recently last Nov 04 and computer use was complementary with a reasonable charge for data transmission.

hope this helps

Kent

Same on Seabourn. I paid $167.95 for 8 hours. You are right--us "old" people wasted a lot of money trying to figure out what to do with not much help from staff. Jean

• 5 weeks later...

Hi Stephen and Phillip, it's raining here mid-summer so easy to think back about our fabulous cruise. Have been talking to Kent on email and now Liz on cruise critic having just discovered it. Well, have you set up shop yet? Or given up and booked another 29 day cruise! Peter wants to do a South America one next so that will be early 2007 I think. In the meantime I'm not letting reality affect me too much. Cheers to you both, Margaret and Peter

Archived