New Dinner Menu in GDR

Aloha 1

True, Twelfth Avenue isn't 12 lanes but it *is* a wide street (with an island in the middle) and lots of traffic depending on the time of day. Not so easy to cross with luggage, at least WE didn't think so!

I will reiterate (back on the original topic) that I wasn't happy with the changes to the GDR menu but we were on Riviera in May and some changes may have been made since then. For us, there were fewer choices than used to be there. It's not that you have fewer choices in the various categories (as I recall), but there was much more repetition within a day or two than there used to be which did reduce the items we wanted to consider ordering.

We were among those who used to go to the GDR as a rule, but on this cruise we either went to Terrace or ordered into the room far more than we used to. That's not to say we NEVER went to the GDR, we just went there far less frequently on a 14 day cruise.

Mura

here is NO EXCUSE for Oceania simplifying their menu when they make such a big deal about having the finest cuisine at sea.
Finest does not equate to richest, particularly when they are catering to health conscious people "of a certain age".
plenty of people still like to look at menus in advance
They certainly do, we are among them; what has changed is the grasping view that the most expensive and exotic ingredients need be the most sought after.
BTW, I walked across 12th Avenue today with luggage. It was a 6 lane avenue with walk and don't walk signs, not that 12 lane highway you suggested it was in an earlier thread.
I don't wish to be unpleasant, but whatever your recollection, the facts of the width of 12th Avenue are not up for discussion.

manhattancruise.jpg

Get out your magnifying glass and count the lanes

My wife and I are booked to go on our first Oceania cruise next year, so I have been following many of the threads here. One question comes to mind: is the fractious level of discourse so often present on this board a harbinger of the atmosphere onboard an Oceania cruise?

My wife and I are booked to go on our first Oceania cruise next year, so I have been following many of the threads here. One question comes to mind: is the fractious level of discourse so often present on this board a harbinger of the atmosphere onboard an Oceania cruise?

Relax! CC participants will make up a very low percentage of your fellow cruisers. The highest estimate on a single cruise is 10%, and that is probably a very generous estimate. (Oceania won't host CC meet and greet parties at the beginning of the cruise which ought to give you a sense of the low numbers.)

These boards for all the cruise lines are wonderful resources for factual information. Once a thread strays into opinion territory, the conversations inevitably turn fractious.

Edited by Pet Nit Noy

Most people are polite & well mannered

Just do not talk politics, religion or healthcare. how much $$ you have or use your cell phone at meals :evilsmile:

To me Oceania's claim to the best food at sea rests solely on the specialty restaurants and even the Terrace Cafe. The GDR has never been very good imo either in the food served or in ambience. I find it way too large and impersonal and the food generic "fine dining."

I don't wish to be unpleasant, but whatever your recollection, the facts of the width of 12th Avenue are not up for discussion.

manhattancruise.jpg

Get out your magnifying glass and count the lanes

No need for a magnifying glass. Here's a link to a ground level up close photo of 12th Ave. at 48th St (the location of Pier 88) and it is not 12 lanes. You're probably counting things like the bike and jogging lanes and the internal cruise terminal access lanes that are not part of 12th Ave. and separated from it.

https://www.google.com/maps/place/W+48th+St+%26+12th+Ave,+New+York,+NY+10036/@40.7655868,-73.9976826,3a,37.5y,216.65h,90.72t/data=!3m7!1e1!3m5!1shNwulJGX-JaTreHxylUCRw!2e0!6s%2F%2Fgeo3.ggpht.com%2Fcbk%3Fpanoid%3DhNwulJGX-JaTreHxylUCRw%26output%3Dthumbnail%26cb_client%3Dsearch.TACTILE.gps%26thumb%3D2%26w%3D392%26h%3D106%26yaw%3D208.86063%26pitch%3D0%26thumbfov%3D100!7i16384!8i8192!4m5!3m4!1s0x89c2584f09e94a1f:0xba473501d28fb14d!8m2!3d40.7655866!4d-73.9977934

No need for a magnifying glass. Here's a link to a ground level up close photo of 12th Ave. at 48th St (the location of Pier 88) and it is not 12 lanes. You're probably counting things like the bike and jogging lanes and the internal cruise terminal access lanes that are not part of 12th Ave. and separated from it.

I agree with you , I believe that I said that it was ten lanes, 5 north and 5 south, and was misquoted.

I actually posted the identical photograph. :p

I agree with you , I believe that I said that it was ten lanes, 5 north and 5 south, and was misquoted.

I actually posted the identical photograph. :p

You said 12 lanes: "Walking to the port is inadvisable with luggage as there is a twelve lane highway separating the piers from the rest of Manhattan."

Here's a link to your complete original post on the subject. The photo you posted there is not the same one posted:

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/showpost.php?p=56196202&postcount=23

It's actually 8 lanes wide in most places, four north and four south including the curb lane, with an occasional left turn lane in addition . It's easy to count the lanes using the close up photo to which I provided the link .

Yes, that looks familiar as we were just there on Monday.

Hopefully this can be the end of the "12 lane highway" nonsense. To be honest, it's better than other Manhattan avenues because there's the island to stop in the middle, should you not make it all the way across.

Hopefully this can be the end of the "12 lane highway" nonsense. To be honest, it's better than other Manhattan avenues because there's the island to stop in the middle, should you not make it all the way across.

Fair Enough, Does this end the "six lane Avenue" nonsense, as well? :evilsmile:

Originally posted by MisterBill99

BTW, I walked across 12th Avenue today with luggage. It was a 6 lane avenue

There are some posted in another thread

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2670859

Thanks for pointing that out. I checked and they do look like the ones I have. I was trying to figure out a way to scan them all to a PDF file and then just posting a link. Any suggestions? I know I can't upload a big file from the website, not sure if I can do a non-image file in the app.

Thanks for pointing that out. I checked and they do look like the ones I have. I was trying to figure out a way to scan them all to a PDF file and then just posting a link. Any suggestions? I know I can't upload a big file from the website, not sure if I can do a non-image file in the app.

Hopefully someone will have some suggestions

I usually just upload my photos to a site then post the link or specifc ones here

But not sure of any free photo sharing sites

this was from the TV

i-BGFRbf5-L.jpg

Hopefully someone will have some suggestions

I usually just upload my photos to a site then post the link or specifc ones here

But not sure of any free photo sharing sites

If I were to upload from the app, I can load images (as I guess you did here). But then I'd have to save them in separate files and make sure I get them in the right order :).

Lynn, are you using a camera or smartphone to take the photos?

I use my phone and then use Tapatalk app to post on the forum, I think you can post 6 pics in each reply. When on my recent cruise as linked above, the CC app suddenly stopped me posting pics, so I went back to using

If I have documents or photographs that I want to post these days, I find it easier to take a photo of them with the phone and post them using the apps, rather than trying to go through a photo hosting site, after Photobucket started charging.

Yes we are old fashion & use a camera so have to upload to a photo sharing site ;)

I know others use smartphones etc with an app

I do not even know what an APP is so I just do it the old way

though we do use a digital camera instead of the 35mm film one :)

Lynn, are you using a camera or smartphone to take the photos?

I use my phone and then use Tapatalk app to post on the forum, I think you can post 6 pics in each reply. When on my recent cruise as linked above, the CC app suddenly stopped me posting pics, so I went back to using

If I have documents or photographs that I want to post these days, I find it easier to take a photo of them with the phone and post them using the apps, rather than trying to go through a photo hosting site, after Photobucket started charging.

If I'd taken pictures of the dinner menus, I could just upload those. Actually I do have photos of the lunch menus from GDR and lunch and dinner menus from Terrace for most days. For GDR dinner, I got the printed sheet that they generally have available the previous night for those with special dietary requirements. Unfortunately it was always printed rather light so the quality will be better if I scan it and adjust the darkness level rather than just taking a photo of it (although I guess I could adjust it that way as well). And since I have a sheet feeder on my All-in-one that can scan both sides of the paper, it's much easier to do that rather than taking 20 photos.