Can women wear dress trousers in GDR?

Conshydot

I logged into Wordpress and commented. Please consider doing so too.

https://oceaniacruisesblog.com/2018/06/18/what-to-pack-for-your-cruise/

The issue is this blog post is sent to some email accounts pre cruise. I received it as a 5 day precruise email. I didn’t even open it to see what was there, because I know the standard dress on O.

I agree, it is misleading. DH has never packed a sports coat. And, our most recent cruise was the first I packed some dresses, definitely not cocktail. More JJill summer look.

Wow! I just read to blog post. If I had read it prior to my first Oceania cruise, I never would have even considered it. Who are these people kidding? It used to be country club casual, now we've moved to elegant casual???

I just got off a cruise NYC to Bermuda. Cotton slacks and a nice (Costco) top are fine. I don't remember seeing anyone in a sport coat but there probably were a few. I have always liked the unpretentiousness of Oceania cruises and cruisers. Leave the cocktail dress at home unless you really like it and want to wear it. Your fellow cruisers will be fine with it either way.

Mary

Hello, ORV, from South Beach. Today, suggesting that women in pants may not fit in the MDR on just about any ship is ridiculous. DH and I are Diamond on Cunard, and pretty high up on other lines as well. On QM2, I wore elegant pants sometimes on formal nights and to the special parties as well. Of course, they were elegant and perfectly acceptable, as are the ones I sometimes wear on Oceania and other lines. I do sometimes wear dresses on O voluntarily because I bought them to wear somewhere,

The person who wrote that packing list that has upset some people was simply wrong. What surprises me is that no one in charge of what goes out to passengers read it and noticed that is doesn't fit with Your World, Your Way message. Someone on this forum didn't know what a cocktail dress is. For me, it's definitely any dress of mine that has had a cocktail spilled on it. In truth, the number of dresses in that category is minuscule. Anyway, his has been a pretty funny teapot tempest.

Mary

Edited by warburg
Spacing

I don't believe the blog post is meant to spell out a dress code per se...rather saying "what you should pack"....and not saying ladies are not allowed to wear "dress trousers" in GDR or the specialties.

Which in this case seems to be "if it were me, then I would pack a cocktail dress for GDR..."....https://www.oceaniacruises.com/experience/dining/grand-dining-room/

...look at the small inset photo...:)

Edited by ipoh
edit the link to the GDR page

Folks here is the Pre Cruise email I got from O before our recent Med cruise

8c177789827743711ad6f53c2602d952.png

On our cruise, like the email suggests, I don’t remember seeing any jackets, even in the Specialty venues. However, I must say I never really bothered to study what my fellow guests were wearing, I just got on with enjoying my own O experience.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I would disregard the email sent to the OP. Whoever wrote it is not in synch with the business plan. Oceania’s vibe is country club casual, passengers dress well but there is no need to wear suits or dresses. There is no absolutely no need for cocktail dresses.

We’ve been in a double digit number of O cruises and I’ve seen one or two men in suits. I have seen a couple men in dress kilts. Occasionally see men wearing sport jackets in the GDR but maybe a quarter to a third of the men wear jackets to specialties. Rarely see ties.

Yes, this thread starting with a misleading post. No such restrictions.

I’m on the Oceania board a lot, Travelcat. Just do a search for JPR.

We very much like Riviera and Marina. Going on the Sirena Cuba Cruise on 8/10 (though it’s the itinerary; don’t expect to cruise on another R ship in the future...)

Folks here is the Pre Cruise email I got from O before our recent Med cruise

8c177789827743711ad6f53c2602d952.png

On our cruise, like the email suggests, I don’t remember seeing any jackets, even in the Specialty venues. However, I must say I never really bothered to study what my fellow guests were wearing, I just got on with enjoying my own O experience.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

That "pic" shows day wear(obviously you KNOW that!)At night those shorts & shirt would NOT be acceptable in any rest. on board with the exception of the terrace. We never saw any pax dressed that casually at night on our Riviera cruise. It's Country Club Casual not Wal-Mart Chic at night.

That "pic" shows day wear(obviously you KNOW that!)At night those shorts & shirt would NOT be acceptable in any rest. on board with the exception of the terrace. We never saw any pax dressed that casually at night on our Riviera cruise. It's Country Club Casual not Wal-Mart Chic at night.

Walmart also sell long trousers & nice tops & probably a blazer

which would be acceptable but maybe not by your standards

This Thread is soooo amusing to us in the UK where 'pants' are a different garment altogether!!! I have visions of all these ladies going to dinner with no undergarments or 'commando' in the colloquial.:eek::eek::eek::eek:

maybe they do go commando but do wear some nice dress slacks or a skirt :halo:

are you peeking:eek:

This Thread is soooo amusing to us in the UK where 'pants' are a different garment altogether!!! I have visions of all these ladies going to dinner with no undergarments or 'commando' in the colloquial.:eek::eek::eek::eek:

Oh, this brings back some :o very embarrassing memories from far too long ago...

I [the "female Geezer" here] did a post-doc in the UK, from the USA, and had never before traveled abroad (but thereafter, loved traveling).

I "assumed" that "English is a common language", from a rather provincial upbringing.

So, yes, in a mixed group of colleagues (and by far, most of my colleagues back then were male), I innocently inquired where there was a shop (this was not London) "... where I could buy some new pants", as I hadn't packed all that much clothing for a full year, several seasons, etc.

I made a few more faux pas statements that year, no surprise, and learned to laugh at myself a LOT!

But that first one... the dead silence, and then polite laughter, and then... not such polite laughter, all leaving me totally bewildered in the moment... but not for long :o

But ALL wonderful memories nevertheless!

GC

The FAQ on the Oceania site is very specific about dress code "

elegant casual resort wear

". Not sure why you would look anywhere else. Especially not a blog that might not even be associated with the cruise line.

FYI, my wife will probably wear dresses only because she thinks it makes packing and planning easier. No way I will wear a jacket. Probably nice slacks and a button down shirt.

Keith, as you probably KNOW, I was using the email to show what O sent out, including the written part of it.

Maybe you should contact O to point out the mixed message you perceived ;)

Walmart also sell long trousers & nice tops & probably a blazer

which would be acceptable but maybe not by your standards

I hope you're NOT serious:confused:. We all know what you can buy at Wal-Mart. I'm talking about the shorts & t shirt being considered acceptable in the rests. at night, which they are not.

Keith, as you probably KNOW, I was using the email to show what O sent out, including the written part of it.

Maybe you should contact O to point out the mixed message you perceived ;)

During the day, the guy's clothes would be fine, but not at night(outside of the Terrace)

I hope you're NOT serious:confused:. We all know what you can buy at Wal-Mart. I'm talking about the shorts & t shirt being considered acceptable in the rests. at night, which they are not.

I see you have a problem with reading & comprehension :rolleyes: