Current Sirena Transatlantic crossing while storms are churning?

cruzemaven

We really wanted to book this crossing but had concerns because it is at the peak of hurricane season in the Atlantic. Now, the weather reports show that there are currently four tropical systems including hurricane Florence churning across the Atlantic. I know Oceania will avoid putting its'ships in jeopardy but still concerned about how rough the seas will be. If someone who is currently onboard the Sirena can report how their ocean voyage is going, I would appreciate it. Would love to do a Transatlantic crossing one day...hope this one will be smooth sailing for all on board🤞

Do a transatlantic crossing in April

Sent from my VS988 using Forums mobile app

Yes, April would definitely be a good time to make a transatlantic crossing but from what I can see, the transatlantic crossings are to Europe...we 're interested in a crossing that returns from Europe- preferably, as a great way to return from a short summer trip to Europe

( we live in south Florida and look to go away in the summer)... most cruiselines return their ships to the states in the fall. Thought that The Sirena crossing would be perfect for us...but was fearful that September could bring rough seas. July would probably be the safest summer month, but so far Cunard seems to be the only line that offers transatlantic cruises at that time. Definitely would prefer Oceania.

Are you going to Europe in the summer to escape the Florida heat ???

This summer we found it to be extremely hot in Europe just like it is here in South Florida ... but most summers we’ve found cruising in Europe to be much less humid and less hot compared to here in Boca Raton in July and August [emoji91]

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

This summer we found it to be extremely hot in Europe just like it is here in South Florida ... but most summers we’ve found cruising in Europe to be much less humid and less hot compared to here in Boca Raton in July and August [emoji91]

I guess my heat tolerance level is lower than yours ;)

We have been in Europe in May June & july it was much to hot for me ..in the 90's in most places

Norway was the exception very nice temps

Not so much this year, LHT28

And this does relate to the OP question. What the seas will be like when you do sail can be very different than what is happening on this sailing. Certainly this route or time of year could be better than another but the actual conditions will vary.

The article below was from July. I recall seeing even higher since in Finland

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/capital-weather-gang/wp/2018/07/17/scorching-scandinavia-record-breaking-heat-hits-norway-finland-and-sweden/?noredirect=on&utm_term=.eeb563915eb4

"Scorching Scandinavia: Record-breaking heat hits Norway, Finland and Sweden

An intense heat dome has swelled over Scandinavia, pushing temperatures more than 20 degrees above normal and spurring some of the region’s hottest weather ever recorded. Even as far north as the Arctic Circle, the mercury has come close to 90 degrees.

Normally, temperatures in Scandinavia during July warm to the comfortable 60s and 70s. This week, they have soared into the mid-80s to lower 90s. On Tuesday, Finland, Sweden, and Norway all saw temperatures reach at least 91 degrees (33 Celsius)."

Not so much this year, LHT28

We were in several ports in Norway mid to the end of July most were comfortable

in Stavanger we wore our jackets

now Oslo was getting warm & Copenhagen was unbearable even at 8pm it was in the 80'sF (29 C)

The moral of the story is to always pack at least one hot-weather outfit. My sister learned that lesson in the Baltic several years ago. There was a heat wave and no one on board had any hot-weather clothes. They were all just dying of the heat.

I’m currently onboard the TA crossing. Bermuda was replaced with Nassau. :(

The seas are calm and the Captain definitely made the right decision. This is my second cruise on Oceania and probably my last. I can travel on Regent or Seabourn for similar cost and get a much better product.

The seas are calm and the Captain definitely made the right decision. This is my second cruise on Oceania and probably my last. I can travel on Regent or Seabourn for similar cost and get a much better product.

Define “similar cost” with a price comparison (apples to apples).

Define “similar cost” with a price comparison (apples to apples).

In order to get accommodations on Oceania that are similar to basic suites on Seabourn you have to get a penthouse. By the time you do that, pay for drinks and tips you are paying as much or more on O than on luxury lines.

In order to get accommodations on Oceania that are similar to basic suites on Seabourn you have to get a penthouse. By the time you do that, pay for drinks and tips you are paying as much or more on O than on luxury lines.

Henry - can you give a specific example.

Also, FWIW, we don’t drink so that would be part of our cost calculations and our tips are included (as well as OBC). So I doubt that it would be a “similar cost” for us.

That said, Seabourn does have an excellent product but not at similar cost (been there, done that :D)

YMMV.

• Thanks 1

It nice to have choices

Glad you found other cruise lines that work for you

Enjoy life ..it has an expiry date

Glad the ship has changed course and hopefully the sea will remain calm for you... safe travels

My sister and her husband are on this transatlantic crossing and my fingers are crossed for all of you for a safecruise in light of Florence’s presence. Please keep us apprised of your cruise safety.

Thanks,

Marise

Seas are calm, no churning as of 10am Monday:

AE0AA040-35A3-43E6-A0B5-8EEE2CEC45F7.jpeg.f58b9dfb65690a08217a11c5c8cb8196.jpeg

Henry - can you give a specific example.

Also, FWIW, we don’t drink so that would be part of our cost calculations and our tips are included (as well as OBC). So I doubt that it would be a “similar cost” for us.

That said, Seabourn does have an excellent product but not at similar cost (been there, done that :D)

YMMV.

Since you don't drink and you get your tips included that makes some difference. Many people drink quite a lot on their cruises so it can certain;y add up. Cocktails on Oceania can be suite expensive and the two for one happy hour is a joke since two drinks barely equal one normal one. And yes, if you book a regular balcony cabin on Oceania you can sail for less than on Seabourn. But I would sooner stay home than sail in a regular O cabin. it's simply far too small for me. So if I compare the fare for a penthouse on Oceania with a verandah on Seabourn the fares are very similar. I do drink some so adding the premium package adds about $130 a day to the fare.

We all have our preferred cruise lines and I know Oceania works well for you, Paul. I respect that and actually like O quite a lot too. I just find for my needs I get better value on Seabourn. I'm glad we all have options.

Since you don't drink and you get your tips included that makes some difference. Many people drink quite a lot on their cruises so it can certain;y add up. Cocktails on Oceania can be suite expensive and the two for one happy hour is a joke since two drinks barely equal one normal one. And yes, if you book a regular balcony cabin on Oceania you can sail for less than on Seabourn. But I would sooner stay home than sail in a regular O cabin. it's simply far too small for me. So if I compare the fare for a penthouse on Oceania with a verandah on Seabourn the fares are very similar. I do drink some so adding the premium package adds about $130 a day to the fare.

We all have our preferred cruise lines and I know Oceania works well for you, Paul. I respect that and actually like O quite a lot too. I just find for my needs I get better value on Seabourn. I'm glad we all have options.

Fair enough.

We’re on this Sirena cruise (been on since Athens on August 19) and knew the risks going in during Hurricane season. Captain Vitaly S. made the right call and the conditions have been very nice during the entire crossing considering Florence, Isaac, and Helene are lurking in the area. We have one more day at sea tomorrow. Nassau is not a favorite but you go with the flow. We’ve enjoyed the cruise very much (a few nitpicks here and there), which was our 8th on Oceania and first on Sirena.

• 2 months later...

We are considering a "Northerly" Atlantic crossing which leaves UK late September, has 10 port stops in Canada, (Newfoundland,  Quebec,  Nova Scotia ) then heads south down the East Coast in mid October.

I was interested in other people's past experiences regarding weather, related to itinerary changes in that region at that time of year.

We are not concerned about rough seas or closed outside decks during the crossing, but we are aware that storm avoidance in that area could have a major effect on that itinerary for the Canadian ports.

Interested in others' experiences as we size up the risks with this itinerary.

Thanks.

Edited by Tranquility Base