Getting Married on Riviera

newtoit

Hello all. I am sailing on 1st Nov Venice to Barcelona. First time Oceania and very excited.

Does anyone know if Oceania/Riviera are able to conduct weddings (same sex) on board? I'm aware some of the larger lines are legally able to.

Thanks for your response.

Since Riviera is flagged in the Marshall Islands, the Captains of their ships are not authorized to perform marriages, and same sex marriages are not recognized in the Marshall Islands. Sorry.

I believe that only Bermudan, Bahamian, Maltese, and UK flag ships authorize their Captains to perform marriages, and some of these have a separate certificate that the Captain must obtain in order to do marriages (some don't want the bother), and again, same sex marriage would have to be legal in those countries.

You could likely do a non-legal vow ceremony on almost any ship if the cruise line permits it.

This is a long shot, I admit, but how about going to the roll call for your cruise and see if another passenger might be authorized to permit marriages? It's too bad most passengers are NOT on CC, then you'd have a better chance of finding someone.

Good luck.

Mura

This is a long shot, I admit, but how about going to the roll call for your cruise and see if another passenger might be authorized to permit marriages? It's too bad most passengers are NOT on CC, then you'd have a better chance of finding someone.

Good luck.

Mura

That passenger would have to be authorized to perform marriages in the country the ship is ported in, or in the Marshall Islands. A clergy, notary, or JP only have authority within the jurisdiction granting the authority.

it may be better to get married in your Country in a civil service where it is legal & then just have a ceremony onboard just a renewal of sorts

If you could find someone on board to "officiate", you could then have a "full ceremony" but ask the officiant to say something like, "and I now re-pronounce you <spouses, however you wish it worded>..."

It will be the very next best thing :)

And Best Wishes to both of you!

GC

Thank you so much everyone for your responses and most of all best wishes.

I contacted Oceania and yes all your advice is correct they can't perform ceremonies which is a shame. Never mind won't let that effect our experience. Was just a bit of a last minute thought. We've waited 16 years I'm sure a few more weeks won't hurt !!

Thanks again.

That passenger would have to be authorized to perform marriages in the country the ship is ported in, or in the Marshall Islands. A clergy, notary, or JP only have authority within the jurisdiction granting the authority.

Thanks for the info. Actually, I was thinking that SHOULD the OP be able to find a passenger who could perform the ceremony, they could just find a venue and do it.

BUT ... I came to conclude that they wouldn't have a legal document confirming the validity of the marriage, and you confirmed that.

I'm glad to hear they are going with the flow and will manage. It would have been nice, but when it can't happen ... you find something else!

Mura

I was on either the Riviera or Marina and there was a ceremony in Horizons. I don't know if was an official proceeding or just going through the motions but they had the whole room and went through the motions. We happened to be sitting in there and they offered us wine. It was a couple that owned a winery in California. I really don't know the exact details, but it looked official.

My TA was surprised when I mentioned this to her as it is her understanding that ceremonies are not allowed, and she should know.

They did have a full wedding party with best man, bridesmaids etc. They were all dressed in Kilts.